Cooper hopes he is gone by No. 18, but Kenny Vaccaro is willing to wait for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jonathan Cooper hopes he is gone by No. 18, but Kenny Vaccaro is willing to wait for the Cowboys

Jonathan Cooper hopes the Cowboys don’t pick him 18th for one reason: He hopes to be long gone by the time they are slotted to draft.
“I probably wouldn’t like to fall that far,” the North Carolina guard said with a laugh Wednesday. “But if they want to come up and get me, that would be exciting that I meant that much to them, that I was a good enough player for them to do that.”

The Cowboys are more likely to trade down than they are to trade up, but if one of the draft’s top guards falls to them, they might stand pat. The chances of Alabama guard Chance Warmack falling to 18 are remote at best, but if there is a run on quarterbacks and receivers in the top 17, Cooper might be available.

Cooper visited Dallas-Fort Worth, and he had a private workout with them in North Carolina.

“It was almost like the professional version of Alabama,” Cooper said of the Cowboys. “You could see tradition, and the stadium is unreal. Dallas is huge. I met with Jerry Jones, and that was pretty cool. It was a great trip.”

Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro, on the other hand, doesn’t hide the fact that he wants the Cowboys to draft him. He gladly will wait until the 18th choice if it means spending his NFL career in Dallas.

“It’d be crazy,” Vaccaro said. “I played high school football in Texas and then in college, and then to get to play for Dallas, it’d be crazy to play in my state for my whole career. It’s close to home, so I’d see get to see my family all the time.”

-- Charean Williams
---------------

Not sure I like Cooper's arrogance here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can understand a competitive guy wants to go early, but with the salary slotting now, how much does it really matter?

What's the difference between going 18 and going 12? A couple hundred grand?

D

Deuce

I can understand a competitive guy wants to go early, but with the salary slotting now, how much does it really matter?

I don't think he was talking that way about the money. I think it was pride.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I dunno, maybe I am old fashioned, but that kind of comment coming from a lineman bugs me.

Guards actually are supposed to be mute grunts who do nothing but block. They shouldn't give a crap about draft status.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dunno, maybe I am old fashioned, but that kind of comment coming from a lineman bugs me.

Guards actually are supposed to be mute grunts who do nothing but block. They shouldn't give a crap about draft status.
I prefer guys who say thing like "I'll just be glad to be reaching my life long dream of playing in the NFL"

A guard who thinks it would be a huge disappointment to last until 18? It's an annoying comment. In all reality it is kind of a who cares comment but he isn't endearing anyone with that one.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
still was a pretty pointless thing for him to say. Not really sure what he got out of saying that

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
still was a pretty pointless thing for him to say. Not really sure what he got out of saying that
The only point was saying he's pretty confident he goes before our pick.

Cowboysrule122

Brand New Member

Right. It shouldn't matter.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I prefer guys who say thing like "I'll just be glad to be reaching my life long dream of playing in the NFL"

A guard who thinks it would be a huge disappointment to last until 18? It's an annoying comment. In all reality it is kind of a who cares comment but he isn't endearing anyone with that one.
It didn't really bother me. He has an expectation of where he'll go in the draft based on what people can project and if he falls out of that range it would be a disappointment. It's not humble but I don't really see it as arrogant or annyoing either.

data

Forbes #1
I like What Joe Thomas did. Top 5 pick and what was his reaction?

Dunno, no tv cameras were around as he was fly-fishing with his dad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It didn't really bother me. He has an expectation of where he'll go in the draft based on what people can project and if he falls out of that range it would be a disappointment. It's not humble but I don't really see it as arrogant or annyoing either.
It just comes off like a sense of entitlement that I don't like. Like a kid who gets a bike on Christmas day and gets pissed and cries because it wasn't the more expensive bike that he wanted.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I dunno, I'd want to experience the draft. I could go fishing with my dad any time.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's kind of a statement about priorities, especially substance over flash.

You'd think the draft would be a good opportunity to network, but how many GM's and coaches are actually sitting at Radio City Music Hall? And then you have to listen to the damnable Jets fans all day... wow

But I you're right that you could only do it once, so why not.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Remember the last first round safety we took that really wanted Dallas to draft him.....

Top Bottom