Phillips: Draft Johnny Manziel Based On Skills, Not Dollar Bills

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Draft Johnny Manziel Based On Skills, Not Dollar Bills
BY ROB PHILLIPS on JANUARY 12, 2014

This message isn’t really for the Cowboys, who already have a nine-figure sum devoted to the sport’s most important position for as long as Tony Romo’s bad back holds up.

This message is for perpetually terrible teams with bored fans and blah mainstream appeal without a franchise quarterback who sells tickets, jerseys, and best of all, and hope.

To the Browns, Jaguars, Raiders, Bucs, et al: don’t draft Johnny Manziel because you believe he’ll make you money. Draft him because you believe he’ll win you football games.

I keep seeing and hearing comments that Manziel is a marketing dream for a ghost town like Jacksonville, which outsources one home game a year to another country and can’t fill its own stadium the other seven games. Even the Texans, a much more stable organization that endured an unprecedented 14-game losing streak after a 2-0 start, might see an attractive Texas tie-in to Johnny Football with Reliant Stadium only 90 miles from Kyle Field in College Station.

Be careful, Bob McNair. Think hard, Shahid Khan. Don’t put on your GM hat just because you see dollar signs. Don’t plot a five-year course for your franchise based solely on endorsements and “JFF” t-shirts.

Most teams know better, but the NFL is, above all, an $11 billion business. Manziel offers a unique package: Pro Bowl potential with a built-in, LeBron-approved brand.

Now comes the real question: can he play?

Oh, hell yeah he can. He’s a 190-pound Tasmanian Devil – the only guy who’s ever scrambled around a collapsing pocket for five seconds, performed a running Karate Kid crane kick into his left guard’s butt, bounced off, rolled left and lofted a 25-yard touchdown pass.

That play, and that collective final college performance against Duke on New Year’s Eve, encapsulated the Johnny Football legend: the Romo-like improvisation, the Vick-like elusiveness, the Brady-like competitive spirit. He won over a lot of critics, including me, for his leadership during A&M’s epic comeback and his under-the-radar behavior all season following an embarrassing Heisman Trophy victory lap.

But, for all his pros, many cons encircle Manziel. Questions remain about his arm strength and his attitude. Can he make all the throws into tighter windows? Is he more interested in being Broadway John?

I’m no scout, but I have watched every Texas A&M game for the last two years. Size is my biggest concern. The comparisons to Russell Wilson are only partially accurate; there’s a big difference between “height” and “frame.” Wilson’s built like a truck. Manziel has shoulders like a stockbrocker. He’s frail, and he won’t be able to outrun linebackers like he did in the SEC. Like RG3, he must learn to stay in the pocket more than he’d like, which re-raises the arm strength question.

Teddy Bridgewater appears to be the NFL Draft’s most ready quarterback. Blake Bortles is the current “it” prospect. But Manziel is the most intriguing player in years.

How high will a team take him?

The decision must be based on skills, not dollar bills.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sounds like I wrote that article.
I still have not heard you say a QB in this draft that you like. Easy to disagree with opinions when you don't present one of your own.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I still have not heard you say a QB in this draft that you like. Easy to disagree with opinions when you don't present one of your own.
My opinion has always been about not wanting Manziel in Dallas. I don't dislike him I just think he is potentially too fragile. I like several QB's including the high rated one's like Bortles, Bridgewater, etc. But it's not likely they will land in Dallas. The Cowboys organization historically hasn't gone after high rated draft QB's so my guess is that someone like Perry or McCarron could be a candidate. Again I like everything about Manzeil except his physicality.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I thought you did not like the way he was all school yard and stuff.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My opinion has always been about not wanting Manziel in Dallas. I don't dislike him I just think he is potentially too fragile. I like several QB's including the high rated one's like Bortles, Bridgewater, etc. But it's not likely they will land in Dallas. The Cowboys organization historically hasn't gone after high rated draft QB's so my guess is that someone like Perry or McCarron could be a candidate. Again I like everything about Manzeil except his physicality.
His size concerns me but at the same time he didn't miss significant time in college with any injury. I don't think predicting injuries is as simple as just looking at a guys size and judging how often he will get hurt. Some players bodies simply get hurt more often and much worse then other players. I don't think we have seen a propensity for Manziel to get hurt (I know he supposedly dealt with injuries this year, but nothing serious enough to miss significant time on the field).

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I thought you did not like the way he was all school yard and stuff.
Well he is a sandlot player and that could work against him in the NFL. He will need to make a lot of adjustments as does all New entries but those things can be fixed if he has the right attitude. He may be a fringe showboater but that will have to play out where ever he lands. That isn't a big issue with me though.

Cotton

Staff member
I assume you disagree. If that is the case just say so. The innuendo isn't necessary.
I absolutely disagree. I think QB is very much a need in this draft regardless of how Romo rehabs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
LT reminds me of Iamtdg...Alex Okafor.

Cotton

Staff member
That's why you can't help with the mock this year. You'll let somebody draft Jamies Winston.
Isn't he like a redshirt senior or something? :unsure

Top Bottom