Watkins: The return of Anthony Spencer

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The return of Anthony Spencer

January, 7, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

It's very early in the offseason, but the Dallas Cowboys should take a long look at bringing Anthony Spencer back to the team.

Spencer underwent microfracture surgery after playing in Week 2 against Kansas City. Spencer dealt with knee issues all summer and couldn't even practice fully during training camp.

The Cowboys could use veteran depth on the D-line by retaining seven-year pro Anthony Spencer.Given he was entering his free-agent year and he wouldn't be placed with the franchise tag again, he wanted -- or rather needed -- to play to show not only the Cowboys, but other NFL teams he was worth a big paycheck.

Spencer wasn't healthy and in his lone game this season, he had two tackles and two quarterback pressures coming off the bench. The microfracture surgery gives you pause about a long-term deal, but his Dallas-based agent Jordan Woy said Tuesday Spencer should be ready for training camp, if not sooner.

This is good news for Spencer because he might be available to work out for some teams in the spring as they begin the process of evaluating/signing free agents. But the Cowboys should give Spencer a two-year deal.

It shouldn't cost the team much to sign Spencer because he's already pocketed nearly $20 million in franchise tags the past two seasons and coming off major knee surgery he wouldn't have much leverage.

The Cowboys' salary cap situation is fluid because they're over the projected numbers for the 2014 cap. Yet, there is a deficiency along the defensive line and the Cowboys need to improve this group.

Starting defensive end DeMarcus Ware is coming off the worst season of his career after a career-low six sacks and battling through numerous injuries. The other starting end, George Selvie, played well in 2013 with seven sacks. But as Selvie enters the final year of his contract, there's no assurances he's a long-term answer at the position.

Jason Hatcher, the starting defensive tackle, led the team with 11 sacks and tied with Selvie with the team-lead with eight tackles for loss. Hatcher enters his free-agent year looking for a big deal from some team and that's not likely to come from the Cowboys, who don't have the projected available cap space to pay him well.

Nick Hayden, the other starting tackle, had some bright moments as a natural fit in the 4-3, and there are questions regarding his long-term ability to make plays.

The Cowboys have younger assets in Tyrone Crawford (who is coming off an injury) and Ben Bass (shoulder injury) who might help the line in 2014. But you don't know how effective they'll be post-injuries.

Adding Spencer, however, could bolster a unit in need of improvement.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No.

Not unless he comes in really cheap, and he won't.

3 years 10 mill is the most I would pay with heavy injury fallbacks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microfracture surgery is just so hard to come back from. The majority of players who have it done never return to the player that they were before or anything close to it.

Spencer isn't going to get a big contract anywhere in the NFL coming off that surgery. If he doesn't want to sign on the cheap in Dallas he will have to sign on the cheap somewhere else. Hell healthy DEs that are just as good as him were signing for short term deals on the cheap last offseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't want anything to do with him at any price.

If he returns, there is always the idiotic perception our sunshine and rainbows brain trust has that he could just return to his previous form.

I would rather not have the temptation.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Let.Him.Walk.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He admitted taking plays off when healthy, GFY Spencer

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't want anything to do with him at any price.

If he returns, there is always the idiotic perception our sunshine and rainbows brain trust has that he could just return to his previous form.

I would rather not have the temptation.
Imagine what would happen if we let him go and he had a decent career from here out. Good ol Jer would NEVER let another injured guy walk. He'd spend the next 25 years (he'll be around that long BTW) keeping every injured mutt on the roster.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think the money will be the problem, it will be the years. He won't want a multi year deal, or two at the most if the money gets bumped up some. I'd do it if fairly cheap.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Booze on this. If we took a one year flyer on the guy I would have no problem but Dallas won't. If Dallas signs him they will look at him as a legit starting DE. Which means Dallas will add no else in the draft or free agency. I don't want to look at our DE depth chart next year and see Crawford, Spencer, Ware and Selvie. Talk about another position that will easily be destroyed by injuries again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Even if they sign him for the minimum he will not play to any degree. He will become injured and do his Ratliff impression. Once these guys get a taste of being paid without playing, they become worthless.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Ratliff was supposed to be healthy last year, just like Spencer was too...so now some want to bring him back. F that...we have to move forward with new players. Spencer is a part of a squad we need to distance ourselves from. I don't think he is any better than Selvie at this point.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Think about it...Crawford, Selvie, and Ware are coming back...so if Spencer comes back maybe we add one new DE? Not interested in this scenario.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Ratliff was supposed to be healthy last year, just like Spencer was too...so now some want to bring him back. F that...we have to move forward with new players. Spencer is a part of a squad we need to distance ourselves from. I don't think he is any better than Selvie at this point.
Microfracture surgery. That is all you need to know.

I would hope he has already been dismissed as even being a remote possibility.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Microfracture surgery. That is all you need to know.

I would hope he has already been dismissed as even being a remote possibility.
He would be situational at best...we need to find a replacement for Ware too, him coming back would retard that for another year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Think about it...Crawford, Selvie, and Ware are coming back...so if Spencer comes back maybe we add one new DE? Not interested in this scenario.
I would take two DTs before I bothered taking Spencer's replacement. And I do not think that much of Selvie.

Interior pressure is what we lack more than anything else. An edge rusher is great, but if the QB simply can step up unmolested, they can pick our defense apart.

There is a reason why the B gap 3-tech DT is so important in our scheme. The Tampa 2 can be exploited at the safety level in the middle because there is so much ground to cover.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would take two DTs before I bothered taking Spencer's replacement. And I do not think that much of Selvie.

Interior pressure is what we lack more than anything else. An edge rusher is great, but if the QB simply can step up unmolested, they can pick our defense apart.

There is a reason why the B gap 3-tech DT is so important in our scheme. The Tampa 2 can be exploited at the safety level in the middle because there is so much ground to cover.
No problem with that, but I don't want Jerry to have a reason to not add a DE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No problem with that, but I don't want Jerry to have a reason to not add a DE.
Signing Spencer would make him think we just would have the 2009 defense again to pair with Ware who "obviously" just was dogged by injuries.

He's likely going to borrow money from Ware again. I would rather that be used elsewhere, not to pay Spencer again. Hell, give the job to fricking Selvie for all I care.

Spencer would just be the 2014 version of Ratliff...a player we should never have bothered to count on.

Top Bottom