Stephen Jones nearly rules out a trade up

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen Jones nearly rules out a trade up

By Calvin Watkins

The Cowboys moved up from the No. 14 spot of the 2012 NFL draft to No. 6 to select LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne.

Next to quarterback Andrew Luck, Claiborne was the second-highest rated player on the Cowboys' draft board in 2012.

Will the Cowboys move up in 2013?

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones doesn't believe it will happen.

"I don't think so, but I wouldn't totally rule it out," Jones said on KZDC-AM San Antonio on Tuesday afternoon. "But I don't think, typically you save those big move ups for your skill players that I'm talking about, whether it's a corner or a pass rusher on defense, a quarterback, running back, receiver, a skill player on offense. You're usually willing to give up a player later in the draft to really get a guy you want. I don't necessarily see that for us this year."

The NFL draft is deep along the defensive and offensive line and at defensive back.

The Cowboys have needs along those areas but with the draft being so deep in certain areas, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he's willing to trade down from No. 18.

"I think protecting our big investments probably first and foremost, (is) our commitment of resources we made to (Tony) Romo," Jones said on KZDC-AM. "What you want to do is keep him standing up and healthy and if the right situation occurs there to help protect him in the offensive line. You got to take a look at that, at the same time you can't compromise the integrity of your board."

______________________________________________________________________________________________

So basically what it sounds like is Dallas is interested in non-skill players (i.e. O-line, DT, Safety, LBer and TE) and non-skill players aren't worth trading up for.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like the fact that apparently we're looking at the lines but I despise the fact that this fool idiot basically says that tradng up for an OL or interior DL is not worth it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I like the fact that apparently we're looking at the lines but I despise the fact that this fool idiot basically says that tradng up for an OL or interior DL is not worth it.
That doesn't surprise me at all. It took us 20 years to draft OL in the first round. Will take several more to do that. Just don't value it until its too late.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
But it didn't take long for Stephen to learn how to run his damn mouth just like his Deddy.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Supposedly about 5 or so teams in front of us are looking to trade down. That should mean the price to trade up isn't that high. It might be worth trying to look for the right deal.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
"I think protecting our big investments probably first and foremost, (is) our commitment of resources we made to (Tony) Romo," Jones said on KZDC-AM.
This should have been the thought process and draft strategy last season instead of moving up for a CB who doesn't have elite skills and throwing away mid-round draft picks for unknown players from small schools.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Supposedly about 5 or so teams in front of us are looking to trade down. That should mean the price to trade up isn't that high. It might be worth trying to look for the right deal.
I'd rather be in the group that's looking to trade down. Usually a trade up in the first round requires that you depart with one of your higher draft picks.

I'd rather stand put and try to plug as many holes as possible. I just don't see a player in the top 10 that I could plug into Dallas' roster and say he'll instantly make them a playoff contender.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
As you said, if the cost is swapping picks later (like #18 and a 3rd for #14 and a 4th), I'm probably doing it for a guy like Warmack.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This should have been the thought process and draft strategy last season instead of moving up for a CB who doesn't have elite skills and throwing away mid-round draft picks for unknown players from small schools.
Oh sweet, sweet vindication.

Genghis Khan

I'd rather be in the group that's looking to trade down. Usually a trade up in the first round requires that you depart with one of your higher draft picks.

I'd rather stand put and try to plug as many holes as possible. I just don't see a player in the top 10 that I could plug into Dallas' roster and say he'll instantly make them a playoff contender.

If we can find a deal where we move up a couple spots without losing our number of picks in the first 4 rounds we should do it, if it means the difference between getting an impact player or settling for a lesser player.

I think it will be hard to find a deal where it's worth moving down this year. Of course if the right deal is there I wouldn't mind a trade down.

Genghis Khan

There is no vindication. Claiborne has spent one year in the league. To definitively say he's not elite is retarded at this point.

I'll say it. He's not elite enough for it to be worth it.

I'd rather have the 3 good players we would have had if we didn't do it instead of just Claiborne.

I think we've seen enough of Claiborne to know that he just won't be enough of an impact to make it worth what we gave up.

D

Deuce

And that statement would be stupid. Revis and Champ Bailey didn't step onto the field their first year and become the best CB in football. He's an elite prospect, but just like everyone else he has to have time to develop. I'll give anyone 3 years to show me they are for real.

Speaking of 3 years, time to show me something Tyron Smith. Average year 2's don't inspire anyone.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's too early to say definitively but it sure doesn't look like he's the best CB since Deion Sanders. It doesn't look like he's the 2nd best player in the draft. It doesn't really look like he'll be even Darrelle Revis.

If he ends up a better Terence Newman, then that trade was simply a disaster. And Terence Newman was a Pro Bowl player here. But as a corner, and for the resources we gave up, and for a guy who didn't make plays even as a CB, it would be an absolute wreck.

I have zero doubts that Claiborne will be a very good player here for many years but I remain quite skeptical that there is any way he can live up the level that would have made that trade good. To do that, he'd have to be one of the 1-2 true shut down corners in the league at any one time, or he'd have to be a guy that snags 6-8 interceptions a year, every year. Because otherwise there ain't that much difference between him and Mike Jenkins.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was for us moving up, but I was way in the minority on that one. Plenty of people shared your opinion...there is nothing special about your thought process here.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I find it funny that you used the same term as Hostile did when he resurfaced yesterday.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's too early to say definitively but it sure doesn't look like he's the best CB since Deion Sanders. It doesn't look like he's the 2nd best player in the draft. It doesn't really look like he'll be even Darrelle Revis.

If he ends up a better Terence Newman, then that trade was simply a disaster. And Terence Newman was a Pro Bowl player here. But as a corner, and for the resources we gave up, and for a guy who didn't make plays even as a CB, it would be an absolute wreck.

I have zero doubts that Claiborne will be a very good player here for many years but I remain quite skeptical that there is any way he can live up the level that would have made that trade good. To do that, he'd have to be one of the 1-2 true shut down corners in the league at any one time, or he'd have to be a guy that snags 6-8 interceptions a year, every year. Because otherwise there ain't that much difference between him and Mike Jenkins.
Have you seen many CB's get "6 to 8 interceptions a year, every year"?

There's a rather large grey area in between Mike Jenkins and one of the top 1-2 CB's in the league/6 to 8 INT's "a year, every year". If he peaks at the Terence Newman, 2-3 Pro Bowl appearance level then I'd be disappointed for sure, but if he's a guy that gives you 5-7 Pro Bowls and is generally one of the top 5-10 CB's every year, then you can't really be mad.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Have you seen many CB's get "6 to 8 interceptions a year, every year"?
Maybe that's overstating it slightly, but like Rod Woodson or Aeneas Williams level. Big time interception machines.

There's a rather large grey area in between Mike Jenkins and one of the top 1-2 CB's in the league/6 to 8 INT's "a year, every year". If he peaks at the Terence Newman, 2-3 Pro Bowl appearance level then I'd be disappointed for sure, but if he's a guy that gives you 5-7 Pro Bowls and is generally one of the top 5-10 CB's every year, then you can't really be mad.
I'd be more than disappointed if that's what he peaks at, if that's all he is, it is a cringe-worthy lesson to be learned (which of course, we surely won't, since we did the exact same thing with Terence Newman minus the trade up). Terence Newman generally was one of the 10 best CBs in football, during his relatively short prime, so I don't really agree that's acceptable. He needs to be one of the guys you look at and say "He's a shut down defender." Same sentence as Revis, Asamugha, Bailey, or Charles Woodson.

If he's not in that tier, it's a failed move.

D

Deuce

If Claiborne has just 2 years of "6 or 7 interceptions" than I doubt many QBs are looking to throw his way again unless he proves himself to be a frequent victim of getting toasted like Hall...and I don't see that happening either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be more than disappointed if that's what he peaks at, if that's all he is, it is a cringe-worthy lesson to be learned (which of course, we surely won't, since we did the exact same thing with Terence Newman minus the trade up). Terence Newman generally was one of the 10 best CBs in football, during his relatively short prime, so I don't really agree that's acceptable. He needs to be one of the guys you look at and say "He's a shut down defender." Same sentence as Revis, Asamugha, Bailey, or Charles Woodson.
I can agree with that last part although I don't think Newman was generally one of the best CB's in the league, maybe for like 2-3 years, but certainly not for the better part of 6-8+ years.

Top Bottom