Watkins: Jerry Jones makes Jason Garrett lame duck

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones makes Jason Garrett lame duck
January, 4, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

With Cowboys owner Jerry Jones retaining Jason Garrett for the 2014 season, it means the head coach enters the final year of his contract.

Garrett hasn't asked for a contract extension, but it's clear he will coach in 2014, the final year of his deal, without one. Of course, if the Cowboys start 2014 off well, he could get an extension.

Jones has given previous head coaches contract extensions in the past, most recently Wade Phillips, who was eventually fired in the middle of the 2010 season.

But Jones doesn't believe having a coach in a lame duck status is a bad thing.

"I think players, because they're professional, just by the nature of them playing in the NFL, I think they understand with or without a contract you can lose your job, if you don't get the job done," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan this past week. "We probably had several coaches that were still under contract for some more years and they lost their job. So I don't think that [not] having a contract [extension] has been a deterrent, many times, at least my observations, when teams do make sweeping changes as you present [the] head coach."

One main reason for a contract extension is to show the players and assistant coaches there is support from the front office for the head coach. Last year, Jones fired Garrett's defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan, and took the play-calling duties from Garrett, handing things over to Bill Callahan.

The moves seemed to take power away from Garrett.

Garrett said he was OK with the moves because he'd coached with Monte Kiffin in the past in Tampa Bay and had a tremendous amount of respect for Callahan. And the Cowboys were still running Garrett's timing-based offense anyway, so it allowed Garrett to become more of a walk-around head coach.

But given the status of the franchise, four consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance, it could be time to make a change at head coach.

Jones, of course, doesn't believe so, and yet he won't give Garrett another year of security.

So Garrett enters 2014 on the hot seat more than ever before.

Welcome to the offseason, boys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wait a second...didn't Watkins just write another article saying Garrett had the power to fix the Cowboys?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"I think players, because they're professional, just by the nature of them playing in the NFL, I think they understand with or without a contract you can lose your job, if you don't get the job done," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan this past week. "We probably had several coaches that were still under contract for some more years and they lost their job. So I don't think that [not] having a contract [extension] has been a deterrent, many times, at least my observations, when teams do make sweeping changes as you present [the] head coach."
Is he fucking serious?

He thinks players are professional? That they are scared of losing their jobs? Really?

All of these gomers who think these guys are "playing hard for Garrett" are way the hell off.

Most of them know who pays them and that they can go right around the head coach if they don't like how things are going.

They also know that once they get the Jerry Golden Ticket, they can hold the team hostage because of the negative cap implications.

Cotton

Staff member
Wait a second...didn't Watkins just write another article saying Garrett had the power to fix the Cowboys?
He also said yet again inferring that he had the power in previous years.

Cotton

Staff member
Whotta shithead.

Worst beat writer by far.
He has always talked out of both sides of his mouth. For as long as I can remember at least.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He has always talked out of both sides of his mouth. For as long as I can remember at least.
Ummm, Jerry just gave us free Papa John's. Maybe I should write something that makes him look good.

No pizza today? That fucker!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's because he along with everyone else is still in shock he's still working on this contract.
Garrett has no balls. If he did, he would have already taken exception to the notion he is in "training" and be notably upset he is working on a one year deal.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Garrett has no balls. If he did, he would have already taken exception to the notion he is in "training" and be notably upset he is working on a one year deal.
Garrett is content to just ride it out. What other options does he have but to hang around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett is content to just ride it out. What other options does he have but to hang around.
Getting known as a guy who takes it up the butt from Jerry is not exactly something that will make players respect him a whole lot, for one.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

p1_

DCC 4Life
Getting known as a guy who takes it up the butt from Jerry is not exactly something that will make players respect him a whole lot, for one.
Either now or going forward. Garrett needs to looking ahead at this point, but apparently he's not a forward thinker.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Ummm, Jerry just gave us free Papa John's. Maybe I should write something that makes him look good.

No pizza today? That fucker!
Only one man should be giving out pizzas to members of the media: Michael Irvin. But only when he has to be in court.

Top Bottom