MacMahon - Scandrick makes smart adjustment, big play

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Scandrick makes smart adjustment, big play

December 22, 2013
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

LANDOVER, Md. -- The Dallas Cowboys' best coaching adjustment Sunday was made by a cornerback.

Orlando Scandrick
had seen enough of ill teammate Brandon Carr being overmatched by Washington Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon, who caught 11 passes for 144 yards and a touchdown. Scandrick took matters into his own hands during the fourth quarter.

“Honestly, I just took him,” Scandrick said. “We had to get a stop and I knew they were going to go to him.”

Scandrick, who vowed this week to find a way to bounce back from back-to-back bad performances, came up with the Cowboys' biggest play of the game. With the Cowboys trailing by six, Scandrick blanketed Garcon on a third-and-6 crossing route, breaking up Kirk Cousins' pass to force the Redskins to punt with 3:47 remaining.

That gave Tony Romo and the offense the opportunity to drive 87 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

Once Scandrick saw Washington's formation, he knew the route that Garcon was going to run, based on his film study. Scandrick said it was the third time the Redskins ran that play Sunday.

“If you watch the tape, you'll see I played it a little bit low and I undercut,” Scandrick said. “Honestly, I didn't think he would throw it, but he did.”

Cousins was 11-of-15 throwing to Garcon before the Redskins' last two possessions. He targeted Garcon on three incompletions during those series.

The coaches didn't say anything to Scandrick about his decision to switch the assignments, he said. Carr got the best of Garcon in the Cowboys' Oct. 13 win over the Redskins, but that individual battle was about as lopsided as could be in the rematch after Carr didn't practice on Thursday and Friday because of an illness.

“They got enough faith in me,” Scandrick said. “That's a great matchup for [Carr]. It just wasn't his day. Not making any excuses for him, but he was sick. He was dragging. He's getting IVs before the game. He looked out of it.”

Asked if Scandrick has the authority to change coverage assignments, defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said, “It just depends. It depends on the situation, what coverage you're in. There's a lot of things that go into that type of deal.”

It's a good thing Scandrick made the switch Sunday. It's a wonder it didn't happen a lot earlier in the game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I vividly remember that play and thought at the time that may be a game changer.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It was just yesterday, but good to hear nevertheless.
Careful. No. Dak.. still has his knife and I have his ear. By the way good to see you back on the board after a brief respite of baby poop diapers.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Careful. No. Dak.. still has his knife and I have his ear. By the way good to see you back on the board after a brief respite of baby poop diapers.
I've been saving myself for the playoffs.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Scandrick switches with Carr on Pierre Garcon for fourth-quarter stop

Orlando Scandrick said he took it upon himself to take coverage against Pierre Garcon for the last “two or three drives” of the game.

He broke up a third-and-6 pass intended for Garcon, giving the Cowboys the ball back for the go-ahead drive.

“I just did it,” Scandrick said of the switch with Brandon Carr, who was playing after missing practice because of illness last week. “My guy, man, he didn’t practice all week. Anybody who’s watched him play before can tell he was sick and he was hurting. And I mean, once they put Garcon inside, I thought they were going to motion him across and run an under again. But when I saw the final formation, I knew the play.”

Scandrick said it’s not unusual for him and Carr to switch.

“Me and him got a great relationship,” Scandrick said. “There’s some matchups that he’s going to be better at than me. There’s just the style of our games. And I think that’s why we complement each other real well, because as anything, you have a partner, he’s going to be a little bit better at some things than you. And he’s just picked me up so many times, you know. It’s selflessness between me and him.”

Scandrick said he knew the Redskins were going to go to Garcon on the play.

“Where he lined up allowed me to be able to make the switch from Brandon,” Scandrick said. “So had they lined up ini that formation straight from the gate, I may have not been on him.”

Scandrick described how he played it.

I played it a little bit low, and I undercut it,” he said. “Honestly, I didn’t think he would throw it. But I mean, he threw it.”

He said the Redskins ran it three times.

“They completed one, they threw a checkdown to the tight end on one, and then the last time, it got broken up,” he said.

-- Carlos Mendez

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I didn't bother to watch the game yesterday but I did see this play on the highlights last night. Very heady play by Scandrick. He needed that after getting Moss'd in consecutive weeks.

BTW, if Carr was being dominated by Garcon the coaches should have had the guts and intelligence to make the adjustment. It shouldn't have come down to Scandrick making the decision on his own.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
BTW, if Carr was being dominated by Garcon the coaches should have had the guts and intelligence to make the adjustment. It shouldn't have come down to Scandrick making the decision on his own.
Absolute truth, but then again in-game adjustments are so complicated. Just play better.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Carr did look terrible yesterday, but one thing I noticed was the skins ran a shitload of rub and pick plays on him to spring Garcon free. And he'd be open with nobody within 5 yards of him on those crossing routes.

I thought those were supposed to be illegal? I know they can be disguised somewhat, but some of them were blatantly obvious.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Scandrick should be covering Jackson next week with Carr on the racist.

dallen

Senior Tech
Scandrick is starting to grow on me. Nice to see someone on this team stand up and take charge for a change. I'm sure he will get a talking to from Coach Jones for standing up to his $50 million CB

Top Bottom