Has Gruden Set His Texas Bait?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Has Gruden Set His Texas Bait?

By Shan Shariff, 105.3 The Fan
December 19, 2013 12:54 PM

On Wednesday, the latest Longhorns rumor lit up the sports world.

Jon Gruden….in Austin??

The very thought has Texas fans dreaming of a rebirth, and I see why.

Gruden’s recruiting power is at its peak because of his MNF fame. With the popularity of his QB show on ESPN, how could a blue chip recruit deny the Longhorns with Chucky in charge?

I’ve always felt Gruden’s weakness as a pro coach was his unhealthy obsession with quarterbacks. His last run in Tampa brought Chris Simms, Rob Johnson, Jeff Garcia, Tim Rattay, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski and Brian Griese. That problem disappears in college where Gruden would get his hands on a brand new talent every 3-4 years. Greg Schiano has proven that intensity doesn’t always go over well on the professional level. Last time I checked, Gruden is still taking shots of Red Bull. The Texas fit makes absolute sense. But……

We’ve seen this game before. Nick Saban just got done using and abusing the Longhorns for a pay raise and extension, so understandably, Longhorn fans are skeptical. They’re asking all the right questions: “What’s the catch? Where’s the leverage? How are we being used THIS week?” Logic tells us Gruden wouldn’t use Texas against ESPN for a better television deal. There isn’t another blockbuster college opening that is big enough or has been tied to Chucky. But this story had to came out for SOME REASON, right?

What if the answer is….The. Dallas. Cowboys.

I got a phone call late Wednesday night saying the Gruden-to-Texas rumor wasn’t about Austin. It’s about Arlington. I was told the Gruden-Longhorns story surfaced because he wanted to gauge the reaction of Jerry Jones. Would this force a phone call from the Cowboys owner? Would Jerry bite on the possibility that Gruden would actually return to coaching?? Take it for what it’s worth because my recent track record isn’t perfect. Though I didn’t report anything, my gut feeling was wrong about Nick Saban coming to Texas. While I still believe it was close to happening, the fact is Nick isn’t moving into Mack’s office. My prediction didn’t happen.

Past evidence suggests Gruden to Austin won’t happen:

– Profootballtalk’s Mike Florio joins us every Friday morning at 8:30 on “New School.” On several occasions, Florio has mentioned Gruden as the next replacement for Jason Garrett. One of the main reasons cited by Florio is the current existence of Gruden’s old staff on the Dallas sidelines (Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli and special teams coach Rich Bisaccia).

– USD athletic director Pat Haden said IF Gruden returns to coaching, he wants to do it in the pros.

– Former Cowboys scout Bryan Broaddus worked with Gruden and still speaks with him to this day. On Thursday’s appearance on “New School,” Broaddus said “Jon wants to coach in the NFL. Longhorn fans shouldn’t get their hopes up.” The smoke is there. Will there be fire?

There are OBVIOUS questions: Why would Gruden want to work with Jerry Jones? Would Jerry finally relinquish power and control for a superstar coach? Can ANYONE push the Cowboys over this hump of mediocrity? Does Jerry need another big-name coach to save the apathy of fan-fans? Does Gruden believe in Tony Romo?

OR…. maybe these questions are ones Chucky has already answered. On his Thursday radio show, Dan Patrick said Jerry flew to Tampa two years ago to meet with Gruden. Hmm…….

Yes, I know- we’ve been here before with Gruden. Reports say Gruden isn’t leaving the MNF booth for the sidelines in 2014. But as we all know, sometimes the coaching itch doesn’t disappear. We’re still talking about two of the biggest stages in sports in the Longhorns and Cowboys.

I don’t know what Jon Gruden will do, but I do believe he’s officially set the bait.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't buy it.

Jerry is not going to hire a rock star head coach again.

Plus, I am sure his good buddy Al Davis had plenty to say about him...and probably not positive.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't buy it.

Plus, I am sure his good buddy Al Davis had plenty to say about him...and probably not positive.
Not with us "almost there". Jerry has said many times that he believes we are almost there and that we are just planning for this year and not years down the road. Bringing in a coach to rebuild is not even on his radar I don't think.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't buy it.

I don't think decade-old bitching from Dead Al would put Jerry off, per se. But I don't think we hire Gruden. Jerry probably does believe his line that most retread coaches with rings don't have the same fire as he said. In Gruden's case it might be true. He's had a sweet job as a commentator for too long, wouldn't want to commit the energy and work that it took to rebuild Oakland.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry's got a perfect situation from his perspective right now: a former player who sounds really smart but is without a doubt a Skeletor-ass covering puppet.

The only reason Jerry would make a change would be a total collapse comprised of games exactly like what happened vs Green Bay. But even then Jerry can just fire Bill Callahan. He always has an out because there's only one Dallas Cowboys. A total retard can own this team and still make fist loads of money and hog the spotlight.

Jerry, if nothing else, has proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Jerry's got a perfect situation from his perspective right now: a former player who sounds really smart but is without a doubt a Skeletor-ass covering puppet.

The only reason Jerry would make a change would be a total collapse comprised of games exactly like what happened vs Green Bay. But even then Jerry can just fire Bill Callahan. He always has an out because there's only one Dallas Cowboys. A total retard can own this team and still make fist loads of money and hog the spotlight.

Jerry, if nothing else, has proved this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Jerry can shed a lot more heat by firing Garrett and replacing him with another puppet than he can by firing Callahan. Garrett right now has a worse reputation as a choker than Romo. His lead blowing ability is now pretty legendary. Almost any lifer Jerry could bring in (Lovie Smith) would calm the masses and avoid another complete collapse.

Of course it won't do more than maybe get us to 10-6 after an offseason of loading up on defensive players and probably a new DB coach, then decline thereafter, but that would be enough to get people off teh J's ass for 3-4 years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry can shed a lot more heat by firing Garrett and replacing him with another puppet than he can by firing Callahan. Garrett right now has a worse reputation as a choker than Romo. His lead blowing ability is now pretty legendary. Almost any lifer Jerry could bring in (Lovie Smith) would calm the masses and avoid another complete collapse.

Of course it won't do more than maybe get us to 10-6 after an offseason of loading up on defensive players and probably a new DB coach, then decline thereafter, but that would be enough to get people off teh J's ass for 3-4 years.
Unfortunately you are right.

There are a lot of people who would be satisfied if Garrett was fired.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
With the emphasis on our defense now I think if Jerry fires Garrett we'll pivot to a defensive coach hired as our next fake HC. It'll be Dave Campo/Wade Phillips Part III. We've done the glorified OC/fake HC deal with Gailey and Garrett, now it's the defense's turn again.
And I'd venture to say if it is a defensive coach he'll have virtually no say in who his OC will be. Jerry might let him hire some of the staff on his side of the ball but beyond that it'll be Puppetmaster Jerry pulling the strings like usual.

Anyone holding out hope Jerry will fire Garrett and give the keys to an actual HC with real power is going to be extremely disappointed again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
With the emphasis on our defense now I think if Jerry fires Garrett we'll pivot to a defensive coach hired as our next fake HC. It'll be Dave Campo/Wade Phillips Part III. We've done the glorified OC/fake HC deal with Gailey and Garrett, now it's the defense's turn again.
And I'd venture to say if it is a defensive coach he'll have virtually no say in who his OC will be. Jerry might let him hire some of the staff on his side of the ball but beyond that it'll be Puppetmaster Jerry pulling the strings like usual.

Anyone holding out hope Jerry will fire Garrett and give the keys to an actual HC with real power is going to be extremely disappointed again.
So...welcome Mike Zimmer.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
The "rock star" coach is what Dan Snyder does, not Jerry (unless he needs a new stadium).

He'll pick some nobody and try to pass them off as an independent voice and not a puppet.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The sad thing is, Andy Reid would have been perfect here. I'm not sure what you'd need to see this this year about Garrett that you couldn't have known by the end of last year, but we should have jumped on Reid. He's an excellent coach with a low key demeanor who would have fit well with jerry's hogging the spotlight. And I think the front office structure would've been a good fit for Reid because it would have allowed him to have a strong influence in personnel.

As much as I like Gruden I doubt Jerry will be interested in a HC that will steal some of his thunder.

A guy like Lovie Smith would work for Jerry in that regard but he's not nearly as good of a HC as Reid (or Gruden).

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
My biggest hope with Gruden is that if he is in fact lobbying for the job he may be able to sell Jerry on the idea. I doubt it, but there's a chance.

junk

Not So New Member
So...welcome Mike Zimmer.
I think this is what happens if Garrett is gone. I want Garrett gone, but this isn't solving the real issue. But it'll distract the masses a bit.

Zimmer w/ Hue Jackson as OC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think this is what happens if Garrett is gone. I want Garrett gone, but this isn't solving the real issue. But it'll distract the masses a bit.

Zimmer w/ Hue Jackson as OC.
You just had to add the Hue Jackson shot to the dick, didn't you?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who else would Zimmer hire as an OC? He's worked with Jackson a couple of different places.
Not doubting you.

And don't forget...we interviewed him for a spot on our staff as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The sad thing is, Andy Reid would have been perfect here. I'm not sure what you'd need to see this this year about Garrett that you couldn't have known by the end of last year, but we should have jumped on Reid. He's an excellent coach with a low key demeanor who would have fit well with jerry's hogging the spotlight. And I think the front office structure would've been a good fit for Reid because it would have allowed him to have a strong influence in personnel.

As much as I like Gruden I doubt Jerry will be interested in a HC that will steal some of his thunder.

A guy like Lovie Smith would work for Jerry in that regard but he's not nearly as good of a HC as Reid (or Gruden).
Yup.

Top Bottom