Archer: Rebuilding of line paying off for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rebuilding of line paying off for Cowboys
December, 20, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When Jason Garrett was named the Dallas Cowboys head coach on Jan. 5, 2011 he set out to refurbish the offensive line.

The Cowboys purged Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode and Marc Colombo. They released Kyle Kosier the following year.

The Cowboys are seeing the fruits of the rebuilding now.

The Cowboys started the rebuild by taking Tyron Smith in the first round of the 2011 draft. Mackenzy Bernadeau was added as an undrafted free agent at right guard and left guard Ronald Leary was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012. This year, the Cowboys made center Travis Frederick a first-round pick.

The holdover has been Doug Free, who has rebounded with a solid season at right tackle.

“It’s a hard thing to do,” Garrett said. “It started with Tyron Smith, it continued with some other decisions that we’ve made. And then certainly Travis Frederick came into the mix this offseason and has helped us. You need to have young, cornerstone players on your offensive line, and we’ve gone through that process over the last couple of years. I think we’re getting where we need to be.”

As the Cowboys move down the stretch, the line is playing better than it ever has since Garrett took over. In the last five weeks, the Cowboys have rushed for more than 100 yards as a team. DeMarco Murray is 23 yards away from 1,000 on the season and he missed two games with a knee injury.

“It’s unfortunate that we haven’t won these games because I felt like our line is playing well,” tight end Jason Witten said. “Great camaraderie up front. We’ve really been able to run the ball and they create big holes. It’s good to see our line play that well. They work harder than anybody on our football team.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As much as they have been lauding the OL lately watch them just suck balls on Sunday.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Strange that our new and improved OL hasn't seemed to help the gun slinging idiot that is behind it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As much as they have been lauding the OL lately watch them just suck balls on Sunday.
If the run blocking sucks, expect us to run 40 times.

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
no sense rebuilding the line if you're not going to use it. this team is run so poorly.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Strange that our new and improved OL hasn't seemed to help the gun slinging idiot that is behind it.
That's what happens when you throw the ball a million times once you are up by 23.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
On second thought I guess I wouldn't mind Kubiak as the next OC. The zone run blocking scheme we just got good at is the same as his. He's not scared of running the ball either.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
On second thought I guess I wouldn't mind Kubiak as the next OC. The zone run blocking scheme we just got good at is the same as his. He's not scared of running the ball either.
And he's a very good QB coach.

I'd love to have him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Was he still in Denver when they actually managed to make Jake Plummer effective?
Yea, his last year there was when they lost to Pittsburgh in the AFCC.

I actually think Romo would be perfect in Kubiak's system, combine the fact that we're already running a zone scheme and I'd be fine with him as OC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lovie - HC

Kubiak - OC

Marinelli - DC

Hmmm.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I could get behind that.

It certainly would be the shit out of what we have now.

But...but...Lovie Smith is no better than Jason Garrett. We need a Parcells reincarnation. [/Schmitty]

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You know Washington is going to bring blitzes because their safeties can't cover and DeAngleo Hall has been good vs. Bryant lately. There is no excuse for not being prepared. Hell, even the weather is going to be fantastic-- in the 70's.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And he's a very good QB coach.

I'd love to have him.
He did so well with Matt Schaub. :)

Seriously though Romo could benefit from a system that doesn't attack the whole field like Turner's timing-based offenses. He seems like a better fit to throw on the run like in a Bill Walsh type offense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But wouldn't' that be old Jer hiring the assistants rather than the HC?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But wouldn't' that be old Jer hiring the assistants rather than the HC?
But you see...Jerry "listens".

Sometimes to the coach. Sometimes to Larry Lacewell.

The problem with Jason Garrett is that he's such a neophyte, Jones has to rely on other people for input.

Top Bottom