Ross Tucker: Why Jerry Jones haters need to chill

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why Jerry Jones haters need to chill

Published 12 hours and 58 minutes ago Last updated 12 hours and 49 minutes ago

By Ross Tucker Sporting News

I have a ton of respect for Jerry Jones.

I know that's not the popular opinion right now and it's easy to understand why. His Dallas Cowboys have been the epitome of mediocrity for quite some time now and this year's disappointing 7-7 season thus far falls right in line with that.

As such, a lot of people are taking shots at him. Frankly, he's an easy target. He's highly visible in the media and as the de facto general manager he has made a lot of poor decisions that have left the Cowboys devoid of depth.

There's no middle class in Dallas. They basically have highly paid stars and a bunch of guys making the minimum that most people have never heard of. Heck, I haven't heard of some of the rookies that are playing and that almost never happens.

Still, Jones deserves a lot more respect than he is currently receiving. Not because he's a world class businessman, which he is. Not because he's done a ton of great things for the NFL, which he has. Not even because he has won three Super Bowls, which only a select few of his fellow owners have done.

I respect the heck out of Jones because the buck stops with him. He makes no bones about that and takes all of the heat that comes along with it.

It's not like that for the vast majority of teams. I've seen during my time in the league and heard of a number of other situations with other organizations where a team owner very quietly makes a decision behind the scenes and then it is up to the general manager or head coach to fall on the sword and take the blame when the move blows up in the franchise's face.

You probably haven't heard about those moves, right? That's because no head coach or general manager would ever let that get out, at least not publicly, for fear that they would never get another job in the NFL. The other owners would never forget any coach or executive who talked out of school in that way but make no mistake about it, it happens much more than people realize.

That's why I like Jerry Jones. He doesn't hide behind a general manager. He makes the decisions and he tells you he makes the decisions. Any failure by the Dallas Cowboys is his failure and he owns it.

Should he step aside and hire a general manager? Perhaps but that is a separate question and his decision and his decision only to make. Would you totally stay out of the football decisions if you bought an NFL team?

Didn't think so but that's beside the point.

People want him to hire a "football" guy and I know what they think that means but if you've been a general manager and running the show for 25 years don't you become a "football" guy? So a guy in his mid to late 30s who's been a scout and been in the NFL for 10-15 years is much more qualified to run an organization than Jerry Jones is at this point? I don't think so.

The problem is that he's made a lot of poor decisions like firing Rob Ryan in favor of Monte Kiffin. The problem is that he's done a terrible job with player contracts and as a result his team is perpetually in salary cap purgatory.

The problem is that he isn't very good at his job as general manager but at least he takes full responsibility for everything that happens.

That's more than you can say for a lot of owners that meddle more than we will ever know.
----------------

I usually listen to Ross Tucker each morning on my commute to work.

He usually is not this moronic.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
So it's okay to be a world class fuck up as long as you own responsibility for it? Beyond idiotic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So it's okay to be a world class fuck up as long as you own responsibility for it? Beyond idiotic.
Yeah, it was shocking from him because he usually tries to explain himself a little better and has more common sense most of the time.

And I think he's comparing Jones to bad owners. There are a few that do as he says, make stupid choices and use the GM as the fall guy.

But there are others who are most certainly not doing that...those guys are winning championships and having consistency from year to year. They hire the best coaches and talent people and stay the hell out of the way.

Sorry, despite what some numbnuts insist, I cannot think of a single personnel move that Bob Kraft, Paul Allen, Jed York or Steve Biscotti had their hands all over.

If you compare Jones' meddling to that of bad owners, he's right there. But his GM title gives him even more encouragement to make decisions. Even the shithead ones do have some professional respect where they have to allow the GM to do their hob.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
The idea we have highly paid "stars" and the rest is precisely the problem with our GM: overpaying for mediocrity and drafting poorly... you get stuck with highly paid "stars" and the rest

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Being a bad GM for 25 years does not make you a "football guy", especially when you are still making the same mistakes in year 25 of your reign

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Great, Jerry takes responsibility for his idiocy. Unfortunately he has repeatedly failed to take the next step, which is to stop being an idiot.

When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is put down the shovel and quit digging. Jerry put down the shovel and brought in a backhoe.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Great, Jerry takes responsibility for his idiocy. Unfortunately he has repeatedly failed to take the next step, which is to stop being an idiot.

When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is put down the shovel and quit digging. Jerry put down the shovel and brought in a backhoe.
Ding ding mf'ing ding.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I would rather him keep shoveling. Only covering himself up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jones' "owning responsibility" amounts to nothing at all, hence a viral team culture of not being accountable to anyone. It really does start at the top.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
So basically Tucker is fine with ineptness as long as you own up to your mistakes.

I'd love to work for him.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
"Dr. Jones, you...you cut off the wrong leg during my surgery!"
"Well, just so you know, the buck stops with me relative to your missing leg. I take full responsibility and I feel the pain that you feel and it just makes me want to prove everyone wrong and get this surgery thing right"
"Well..okay, I have to respect you for that"

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
"Well, just so you know, the buck stops with me relative to your missing leg. I take full responsibility and I feel the pain that you feel and it just makes me want to prove everyone wrong and get this surgery thing right"
But it was entertaining.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Tucker is basically talking about Snyder. Snyder "takes a step back" but many people have seen him moving behind the scenes, supposedly the RGIII thing was his move and it will be Shanny and the GM who will pay for it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

Tucker's logic is beyond stupid.

jootep

Brand New Member
Taking responsibility for your continuous fuck ups is not easy in this league.

It's a process.

Jerry's stacking shitty years on top of shitty years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Taking responsibility for your continuous fuck ups is not easy in this league.

It's a process.

Jerry's stacking shitty years on top of shitty years.
Nice.

Top Bottom