Archer - Mock draft: Cowboys upgrade D line

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mock draft: Cowboys upgrade D line

December, 19, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The Dallas Cowboys might be thinking about the draft a little sooner than they would like if they can’t win the NFC East, but ESPN’s Todd McShay has already offered up his first mock draft. Insider

He has the Cowboys taking Notre Dame defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt.

Here's McShay’s take on the pick: "The Cowboys' choice here could just come down to taking the best defensive player available, given the issues they've had on that side of the ball. But in particular, they need D-line help in a very bad way, and I think Tuitt would be an interesting fit. He makes the most sense as a 5-technique defensive end in a 3-4 alignment, but given his athleticism and quickness I feel as though he could also work as a 3-technique D-tackle who gets up the field and disrupts. Tuitt is still a work in progress, but his ceiling is awfully high. Florida State DT Timmy Jernigan is another option here."

McShay hits the Cowboys’ biggest need. They passed on taking Sharrif Floyd, who was their fifth rated player, when they were initially on the clock last April and traded down with San Francisco. The move has worked out pretty well with center Travis Frederick and wide receiver Terrance Williams.

But they ignored the defensive line for the entire draft because they felt it was already a position of strength. The claim was dubious even before the Cowboys suffered a ton of injuries along the line from the first day of training camp into the regular season.

There is another reason for the Cowboys to go after the defensive line in the 2014 draft. Jason Hatcher and Anthony Spencer will be free agents, and they could have to make a contractual decision on DeMarcus Ware.

So file Tuitt’s name away and if you hear people talk about his “quick twitch,” then realize he would be a fit for the Cowboys.
--------------

Not a fan.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Meh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is that because he was a signing day flip from Georgia Tech? I think he has tons of potential, but I'd just rather see a DT at the first pick.
No, but I have not forgotten that. Little shit.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Funny how this just happens to coincide with our biggest need. That's how you often get underwhelming picks.

B. p. a.

Genghis Khan

And hell, we have so many holes right now that almost any position would help a lot, particularly on defense.

And we also don't know right now what system we will be running on defense (and offense!) next year. I think there is at least an even chance we won't be running Tampa 2 anymore.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We need to spend the bulk of our draft on defense. Hageman is a guy I like quite a bit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jerry will see the hamstring issues with Miles, Terrance, and Dwayne. Wr first round.

Genghis Khan

We need to spend the bulk of our draft on defense. Hageman is a guy I like quite a bit.
I have no problem with that. But if we force it we will probably regret it. I just don't want to see guys like Webb or Wilcox again simply because they play particular positions.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I have no problem with that. But if we force it we will probably regret it. I just don't want to see guys like Webb or Wilcox again simply because they play particular positions.
Forcing It is the GM's mission statement.

Carp

DCC 4Life
There will be guys that are at or near the top of our board. I mean DE, DT, OLB, FS, SS are all needs. I don't think Webb or Wilcox were really reaches either...that was about where they were slotted, but they both seem to have been universally overrated.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tuitt would be a fine first rounder, he could play a little DT and strongside DE, has great size and has been productive, what's the issue?

Pet cat of mine in the second is Aaron Donald from Pitt.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Could be worse. As dumb as it is to fixate on one position or just one side of the ball, we could be gearing up for another special teams draft.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
LB is a pretty huge need too.
Yeah it is. Lee is the only sure fire starter and he has injury issues.

I don't think we should invest long term into Brice Carter. He's injury prone and too inconsistent.

So as much as I'd love to go heavy on the DL I understand LB needs a lot of help as well. Hell, even the safety position needs to be addressed.

We're going to need at least two solid drafts to fix this defense.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we end up with a pick high enough I'd be 100% fine with a guy like Khalil Mack or Vic Beasley, they'd probably be strongside LB's in base formations and then play with their hands down in nickel/dime situations like Von Miller.

Top Bottom