Jerry Jones says “show” business with Cowboys minimizes any fan apathy

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said on his radio show Tuesday that he’s not afraid of fan apathy because games such as Sunday’s 37-36 loss to the Green Bay Packers are “a show,” and he again outlined the reason he won’t hire a general manager.

When asked by KRLD/105.3 FM “The Fan” whether he worries about fan apathy, Jones said, “Not with games like the other day. That’s, you know, that’s a show, if you want to look at it that way. That’s not what we’re there to do. We’re there to win the ballgame and go forward and win the next ballgame.”

Asked by the host if the effect wears off after 10 or 15 years of “great shows that seem to end badly,” Jones said, “I’d like to have won another Super Bowl or two over the last 15 years. Our style is to go for it.”

Jones outlined what motivates his management style with the Cowboys.

“I do it on a risky basis. We go for it,” he said. “We put quite a bit of money in that defensive front. We thought that would be the strength of our team.”

Jones said hiring a general manager would be like duplicating work.

“Well, who in the world do you think that person, when they walk through the door and say we want to get this player and we want to pay this player, what in the world do you think I’m going to do? I’m going to sit down, and I’m going to go through it, and I’m going to say, ‘Show me the player. Show me everything about the player.’

“Well, rather than that have happen, I get involved and know everything there is to know about the players before they get to the door.”

Lee watch

The Cowboys are preparing to play their next two games without their defensive leader, Sean Lee, who has a sprained neck ligament. Lee said Monday he won’t return until he is fully healed, and there is no timetable.

The Cowboys also lost Lee’s replacement, Justin Durant, who re-injured his hamstring. That left rookie DeVonte Holloman, who missed much of this season with a neck injury, to fill in.

That has Jones “concerned” as the Cowboys face must-win games against the ninth- and second-ranked offenses in the league in Washington and Philadelphia.

“It’s glaring when he’s not out there, and has been glaring the last two ballgames,” Jones said on his radio show. “Every team loses key players. That’s the thing here is that we’ve lost players.”

Lee injured his neck on the first play Dec. 9 at Chicago. He played 47 of 72 snaps, leaving for good in the third quarter. A CT scan offered positive news the next day, but an MRI exam revealed a sprained ligament.

Lee, who said surgery is not necessary, will undergo more tests this week.

Roster moves

The Cowboys won’t have Durant the rest of the season. They placed the veteran linebacker on injured reserve Tuesday, a clear indication that he would not be able to come back from his second hamstring injury of the season.

Durant was the backup to Lee at middle linebacker, but he also started at strongside linebacker.

The Cowboys re-signed linebacker Orie Lemon, who was released last week to make room for defensive end Edgar Jones, who returned off the IR/return list.

The team released linebacker Kyle Bosworth and defensive tackle Drake Nevis. The Cowboys also released running back George Winn off the practice squad.

They have two open roster spots and one on the practice squad.

Clarence E. Hill Jr., 817-390-7760 Twitter: @clarencehilljr

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/12/17/5427156/jerry-jones-says-show-business.html#storylink=cpy

---------------------------------------------------

Well here it is, wow what a fucking idiot!!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep. It's pretty telling.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones doesn't realize it's more than a show
December, 18, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The biggest problem the Dallas Cowboys have was announced by owner and general manager Jerry Jones on his radio show Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas.

Asked if he worried about the Cowboys fans becoming apathetic, Jones quickly said no.

"Not with games like the other day," Jones said. "That's a show, if you want to look at it that way. That's not what we're there to do. We're there to win the ballgame and go forward and win the next ballgame. There's no orchestrating that the other day."

There was an announced crowd of 91,054 Sunday at AT&T Stadium. Let's just guess that 15,000 fans were there to root on the Green Bay Packers. Maybe more, maybe less. Let's say another 15,000 were just there to be at the stadium or had no rooting interest.

This is all subjective guess work, but let's say there were 60,000 Cowboys fans in attendance.

How many of those fans left the game and on the walk to their car said, "Wow, what a great show?"

Another guess, but I'm going with zero. They were crushed. They were hurt. They were disillusioned. Again. Would you care if your team won 2-0? Sure it would be boring, but your team would make the playoffs and maybe compete for a championship with a defense like that.

I'm being facetious, of course, but the name of the game is winning. General managers are measured by wins. Well, almost every general manager in the NFL not named Jones. Owners are measured by dollar signs. And that's where Jones leads the NFL.

Jones' comment the other day is a sign that he cannot or will not differentiate between his two jobs. As the owner, he's raking in the cash form those Cowboy-ritas and cotton candy and all those T-shirts. Those calling for boycotts of all things Jones and all things Cowboys, there is not enough of you. And while that money Jones makes from you is still green, the pile is not as deep as the television revenue he collects every year from the NFL's broadcast partners.

And we know the broadcast partners love the Cowboys. They would love them if they won, sure. But they really love them when they produce moments like last week. That drives the train. And is there a doubt the finale against the Philadelphia Eagles would be moved to NBC's "Sunday Night Football?" Maybe they would pick Chicago Bears-Green Bay Packers. Maybe.

But they wouldn't get the show that Jones craves the most.

It has to be disheartening to be a Cowboys fan. How do you trust Jones? How can you trust the coaches and players? This is supposed to be a joyous time of year, but their team just crushes them when it matters most.

But to Jones, it's a good show.

Top Bottom