Eatman: Pointing To Depth Of Draft, Jones Hints At Possible Trades

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Pointing To Depth Of Draft, Jones Hints At Possible Trades

Posted 13 minutes ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Staying put on draft day. It’s just something that rarely happens here at Valley Ranch, especially with Jerry Jones running the show.

Since he took over in 1989, there has been just one draft that didn’t include a single trade, either before the draft or in most cases, while the draft is in session.

Ironically enough, that no-trade draft occurred in 2011, when the Cowboys stayed put on their eight picks and drafted eight players, including Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray with the top three picks.

Will that happen again, even though the Cowboys have just six picks with which to work?

History says it won’t. In fact, Jones himself said Monday in a pre-draft press conference at Valley Ranch that it probably makes sense to trade down if possible, just to stockpile picks in what is being considered a deep draft.

Of course, what a GM says three days before the actual draft shouldn’t always be taken so seriously.

“We will be open to improving where we are,” Jones said Monday, sitting between head coach Jason Garrett and his son Stephen Jones, the Cowboys’ vice president and director of player personnel. “There’s a lot of depth at a lot of positions in this draft, and so you could maybe get where you want to be at certain positions and gain a pick or gain some collateral there through the trade. That’s what it’s always been about.”

Jones went on to discuss his philosophy of sticking to his draft board and how trading up or down doesn’t exactly go against the board, but in his terms, can sometimes “honor” the board if they can find a way to take players at better positions than their slotted spots.

But when it comes to trades, Jones said he hasn’t fielded any offers just yet, mainly because it’s too early. That stuff typically happens when he’s on the clock, or a few picks before. But if Jones told us anything Monday, he reiterated that he would likely be open to making a trade, especially to move down.

“Just my assessment, there’s enough depth in this draft that you sure want to keep your ears open for trades because you very well could get as good or a better player at another level,” Jones said. “And I will, and we will have our minds open and we won’t be doing a lot before the draft. When I say doing a lot, probably fielding many calls. It’ll probably be happening right there on draft day.”

Jones has made a habit of trading on draft day, but it’s not always to move down. In recent years, the Cowboys actually made more headlines by moving up, like they did last year when the Cowboys jumped from No. 14 to sixth overall to get Morris Claiborne.

In 2010, the Cowboys went from 27th up to 24th in the first round to grab Dez Bryant. Later in the second round, they also moved up a few spots to take Sean Lee.

But over the years, Jones has made a habit out of wheeling and dealing from the War Room. Of the 133 total trades the Cowboys have made since Jones bought the team, 59 of those have occurred on draft day.

Will that number jump to the 60s this week? History certainly suggests it will.
-----------------

The way things are looking now, I would welcome a trade down.

Chances are pretty good Cooper and Warmack will be gone. Vacarro may be gone.

Meanwhile guys like Tank Carradine are getting mid-first consideration and could entice a team like the 49ers to move up.

They have more picks than they could handle, I'd have no issue moving down to where we could get more players.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 10m
Jerry Jones said in pre-draft presser Cowboys more likely to trade down than up, which means probably staying at 18

Cotton

Staff member
I'm with you, booze. Depending on what's available when we come up at 18, I wouldn't mind a trade down at all.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 10m
Jerry Jones said in pre-draft presser Cowboys more likely to trade down than up, which means probably staying at 18
I don't think he will. Just a hunch.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't think he will. Just a hunch.
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead 41m
Trust me this: The Cowboys are NOT looking to move down. They are definitely interested in trading up or staying at 18. #smokescreen

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think he moves up. We just do not have the resources...we can't move up every fucking year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If this Sully guy thinks we are going to move up...who are we moving up for?

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe thinking we will try to jump to 10 to get ahead of the Chargers to take Cooper or Warmack?

Hell, I don't know. I don't see a player in this draft worth moving up for. Especially considering how talent-laden it is.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think this Sully guy knows what the hell he's talking about. This is not a draft you want to move up in for the most part.

Our needs don't align with that type of move.

If you think we stay at 18 and go BPA, fine. But I fail to see how anyone can logically suggest we want to trade up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe thinking we will try to jump to 10 to get ahead of the Chargers to take Cooper or Warmack?

Hell, I don't know. I don't see a player in this draft worth moving up for. Especially considering how talent-laden it is.
As much as I like those two guys, I would be a little bit upset if we traded up for a guard.

Cotton

Staff member
As much as I like those two guys, I would be a little bit upset if we traded up for a guard.
I would be, too. Just trying to understand his logic.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If I had to guess it would be Miliner slipped a little and we move up to take him.

Cotton

Staff member
If I had to guess it would be Miliner slipped a little and we move up to take him.
Oh god, no. Please, no.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know if I can advocate moving up for us right now.

That being said, if we did it, paid a reasonable price, and got to a position where Warmack or one of the tackles was available and was the BPA, I wouldn't complain.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Seriously though...the bright shiny things Teh J would move up for I would guess is Ansah, Lotulelei, or Lane Johnson.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seriously though...the bright shiny things Teh J would move up for I would guess is Ansah, Lotulelei, or Lane Johnson.
I wouldn't mind Lotulelei all that much. The others, big time feh. Not that they are bad, I just wonder where they'd fit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know if I can advocate moving up for us right now.

That being said, if we did it, paid a reasonable price, and got to a position where Warmack or one of the tackles was available and was the BPA, I wouldn't complain.
What is a reasonable price when you only have six picks?

I had an issue with Claiborne costing us a third last year. I'd have an even bigger issue giving that up in this draft.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What is a reasonable price when you only have six picks?

I had an issue with Claiborne costing us a third last year. I'd have an even bigger issue giving that up in this draft.
We gave up a 2nd.

:towel

Top Bottom