NFL playoff picture taking shape

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 29, 2013, 1:07 PM EST

With Thanksgiving behind us, the NFL season is heading into the home stretch, and the playoff picture is starting to take shape. Although no teams have clinched playoff berths, the Seahawks, Broncos and Chiefs all have a chance to clinch this weekend. And eight of the 12 playoff teams are close to sure things.

We take a look at the state of the playoff race below.

AFC

Safe: Broncos, Patriots, Chiefs, Colts, Bengals

The winner of Sunday’s Broncos-Chiefs game is the favorite to win home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs, while the loser will become the favorite to get the No. 5 seed. The Patriots have all but locked up the AFC East, with a three-game lead and the tiebreaker edge over the Dolphins and Jets, and the Colts have all but locked up the AFC South, with a two-game lead and the tiebreaker edge over the Titans. The Bengals lead the AFC North by a game and a half over the Ravens, and even if the Bengals blow their big division lead, they’d probably end up with the final wild card spot.

Wild card scramble: Ravens, Titans, Chargers, Jets, Dolphins

At 6-6, the Ravens have a half-game lead over the other four teams in the wild card mix. Baltimore also owns head-to-head wins over the Jets and Dolphins, who play each other on Sunday and again in Week 17. The bad news for the Ravens is that their schedule is tough: Baltimore’s last three games are all against teams with winning records, the Lions, Patriots and Bengals. The Titans and Chargers both have three games remaining against teams with winning records as well. This race is wide open, and a 9-7 record might be enough to win it.

Long shots: Steelers, Browns, Bills

The Steelers would have been in great position to earn a wild-card berth with a win in Baltimore, but their loss means they’d probably need to run the table, and even that might not be enough to make the playoffs. The Browns and Bills also have seven losses and are extreme long shots.

NFC

Safe: Seahawks, Saints, Panthers

The winner of Monday night’s Seahawks-Saints game has the inside track for home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. The Seahawks are heavy favorites to win the NFC West even if they lose to the Saints on Monday. The Saints and Panthers play each other twice in December, and if one team sweeps those two games, that team would all but lock up the NFC South. The team that doesn’t win the NFC South is virtually assured of a wild card.

Control their playoff chances: Lions, Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers, Cardinals

The Lions have a half-game lead over the Bears in the NFC North and own the tiebreaker, so the Lions know they just need to keep winning to win the division. The Cowboys currently have a half-game lead over the Eagles in the NFC East and own the tiebreaker, but the Eagles still get another shot at the Cowboys in Week 17, so if the Eagles can keep pace with the Cowboys in the standings, that meeting on the last day of the season will determine the division. The 49ers and Cardinals are both 7-4 and play each other in Week 17, so they may meet with a wild card on the line in the last game of the year.

Need help: Bears

The Bears will need the Lions to lose at least once to win the NFC North, as Detroit owns the head-to-head tiebreaker. It’s still possible that the Bears could earn a wild-card berth, but those odds are long. The Bears’ best chance is to win out and hope the Lions lose one.

Long shots: Packers, Rams

Green Bay needs to win out while Detroit loses twice and Chicago loses at least once before hosting the Packers in Week 17. The Rams have to win out and get help, and winning out is almost impossible considering the remaining five games for St. Louis are at the 49ers, at the Cardinals, vs. the Saints, vs. the Buccaneers and at the Seahawks.

Hawkeye

Brand New Member

The Cowboys currently have a half-game lead over the Eagles in the NFC East and own the tiebreaker, but the Eagles still get another shot at the Cowboys in Week 17, so if the Eagles can keep pace with the Cowboys in the standings, that meeting on the last day of the season will determine the division.
Not again! I didn't like the way it turned out last year with the division on the line on the last game of the season. Hope we don't choke again.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We seem to get lined up with Carolina in the playoffs an awful lot.

Which is odd since it seems like they make the playoffs even less frequently than we do.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
FWIW, I would be rooting for Detroit very hard in that scenario. If they win, they go to New Orleans the next week. If SF wins, the winner of our game goes to New Orleans.

I do not want to go to New Orleans again. That would be a spanking.

I'd much rather go to Seattle, as dangerous as that is.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
FWIW, I would be rooting for Detroit very hard in that scenario. If they win, they go to New Orleans the next week. If SF wins, the winner of our game goes to New Orleans.

I do not want to go to New Orleans again. That would be a spanking.

I'd much rather go to Seattle, as dangerous as that is.
Really?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I kind of understand that if you look specifically at our defensive matchups with the Saints plus Ryan's knowledge of our offense.

Either is a spanking but the Saints can easily outscore us. The Seattle game could be closer.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Not again! I didn't like the way it turned out last year with the division on the line on the last game of the season. Hope we don't choke again.
I have said it numerous times, the only thing that will stop 10-6 and first rd disgrace is 9-7 and the iggs beating us out of the division.

Long live Jerry's Dynasty!

superpunk

Banned
Giants, skins, now eagles. Might as well go for the hat trick of humiliation within the division.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I kind of understand that if you look specifically at our defensive matchups with the Saints plus Ryan's knowledge of our offense.

Either is a spanking but the Saints can easily outscore us. The Seattle game could be closer.
Well could be but I think Brees can be defended better than Wilson. If Dallas can deal with Graham they can curtail a lot of the N.O. offense. The other factor is the stadium noise. Both are loud but Seattle is out door and this time of the year potentially wet.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

We have a better chance in Seattle IMO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Except for the last time we played the Saints we usually do better in shootout games. Physical teams not so much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Except for the last time we played the Saints we usually do better in shootout games. Physical teams not so much.
Not with this defense we don't. Physical I am not as worried about. Teams with quick strike capabilities against this defense can outscore us any time they like. And our one huge "shootout" game was against a Broncos D that is definitely not top shelf.

Rev

Staff member
Not with this defense we don't. Physical I am not as worried about. Teams with quick strike capabilities against this defense can outscore us any time they like. And our one huge "shootout" game was against a Broncos D that is definitely not top shelf.
We still had a shot in the Denver game. Which is more of a chance then we would have with Seattle. I guess you are looking for a prettier loss?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Seattle would rape us. I would have to say I would rather face NO.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seattle would rape us. I would have to say I would rather face NO.
New Orleans HAS raped us.

So you fear the potential of rape, but when your ass is still bleeding three weeks later, you don't fear what you have already experienced?

Rev

Staff member
We would get raped either way. All I am saying is that in the recent past we have fared worse against teams that are physical.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We would get raped either way. All I am saying is that in the recent past we have fared worse against teams that are physical.
I do not believe this to be true.

Top Bottom