Watkins - Jerry: I'm doing a good job

D

Deuce

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he's been doing some of his best work in years, despite the fact that his team is 21-21 since Jason Garrett took over as coach in 2011.

The Cowboys have also missed the postseason the past three seasons.

"The facts are I really do think, the way things have rolled out, I'm getting to do some of the best work that I've done, relatively speaking in my career, over these last several years," Jones said Friday morning on KRLD-FM.

Since 1997, the Cowboys have posted a 133-133 mark with Jones as GM.

The Cowboys have struggled on defense this season, ranking 31st overall, last against the pass and 29th against the run. Last year, Jones fired defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, now with the New Orleans Saints, and hired 73-year-old Monte Kiffin. Jones expressed confidence in Kiffin earlier this week and isn't second-guessing the decision to hire him.

The Cowboys (5-5) have allowed opposing quarterbacks to throw for 400 or more yards an NFL-record four times, gave up a league-record 40 first downs to the Saints two weeks ago, and watched Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson catch 14 passes for 329 yards against them Oct. 27.

Injuries have hurt the unit, with defensive end DeMarcus Ware (thigh injury) missing three games and cornerback Morris Claiborne (two games), safety J.J. Wilcox (three games) and defensive tackle Jason Hatcher (one game) also having been lost to injuries.

Jones also made the move to have Garrett no longer call the offensive plays. Instead, offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Bill Callahan is doing it.
It's been met with mixed results.

The Cowboys had a franchise-low nine rushing attempts in a Nov. 3 victory over the Minnesota Vikings, dealt with injuries to wide receiver Miles Austin and lost starting guard Brian Waters to a season-ending triceps injury.

But Jones is confident the return of several players from injuries will help over the final six weeks of the season and push the team into the playoffs.
Jones noted he plans on serving as GM for another 10 to 15 years. He has told the players he'd rather be with them than do anything else.

"Of course, I said it, and I really meant that, and just think about that a minute: Why wouldn't you?" Jones said. "One of the reasons that I, to some degree, have taken the risks that I have over the years, and kind of had the professional life that I followed, is so that I get to decide when enough is enough. God willing. So I do get to decide that.

"It's a certain part of working for yourself if you still are standing when the time comes. So I get to really make that decision, and I want to make it in a way that I think is in the best interest of the team, franchise and really our fans. A lot of people just need to hear me say I know it's in our best interest for us to operate the way we have.

"It's unfortunate that over these last five or six years that we haven't had a few things turn right for us at the end of the season -- needing to win one of out of two games to get into the playoffs, having a healthy quarterback, all of those things. But we've been a lot closer than it seems."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones gives himself high marks in self evaluation
Posted on November 22, 2013 | BY TOM ORSBORN

SAN ANTONIO – Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones gave himself a major pat on the back Friday for his work as the club’s general manager and said he plans on continuing in that role for the foreseeable future.

“The facts are, I really do think that the way that things have rolled out, that I’m getting to do some of the best work that I’ve done, relatively speaking, in my career, these last several years,” Jones told Dallas’ KRLD-FM during his weekly radio show.

Jones’ positive self-evaluation flies in the face of facts that likely would cost any other GM his job. The Cowboys are 5-5 this season, 133-133 since 1997, in the midst of a three-year playoff drought and have won only once in the postseason since 1996.

Still, Jones, 71, said he plans to run the show for another 15-20 years.

“A lot of people just need to hear me say I know it’s in the best interest for us to operate the way we have,” Jones said. “It’s unfortunate that over these last five or six years we haven’t had a few things turn right for us at the end of the season, needing to win one of out of two games to get into the playoffs, having a healthy quarterback, all of those things. But we’ve been a lot closer than it seems.”

The Cowboys won three Super Bowls during Jones’ first seven seasons as owner.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Of course the GM is doing a great job. Just ask the owner. :picard

Newt

DCC 4Life
Someone needs to put him in the back of a convertible and make circles around the book depository praying for a miracle.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Someone needs to put him in the back of a convertible and make circles around the book depository praying for a miracle.
:lol

junk

Not So New Member
Oh, I'm sure he does think he's doing a good job. Look at his recent comments. He think the team is just a few bad breaks and injuries away from being a top tier team.

No self awareness. Which explains comments like "the roster is set"

I think he really believes if they just get in the playoffs, success is a given.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Nice.

p1_

DCC 4Life
At least we don't hear the same ole shit about likin them Super Bowls any longer

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
At least we don't hear the same ole shit about likin them Super Bowls any longer
well...actually... JJ was asking fans that very thing out on Bourbon St this last Saints game

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Top Bottom