Al Michaels arrested for DUI

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Usually hearing about a celeb being arrested for DUI doesn't catch your attention. But reading that Michaels was arrested for DUI is a bit of a shocker, IMO.

---------------------------------------------------

Legendary sports broadcaster Al Michaels was arrested on misdemeanor DUI charges in Santa Monica, California, CNN reports.

According to the report, Michaels was arrested shortly after 10 p.m. PST and spent five hours in Santa Monica city jail before he was released on his own recognizance. Sgt. Ryan Gradle of the Santa Monica police told CNN that Michaels was "extremely cooperative" with authorities.

TMZ.com reports that Michaels had blood alcohol levels of .08 and .09, which are at and slightly over the legal limit of .08. Michaels is due in Los Angeles Municipal Court at 8:30 a.m. on June 26.

Michaels has worked for NBC Sports since 2006. The network released the following statement to ProFootballTalk.com.

"We are aware of the situation. We have been in contact with Al. We have no further comment at this time."

Michaels, 68, spent most of his career at ABC Sports and has called some of the legendary games during his career, including the "Miracle on Ice" game between the United States and the Soviet Union during the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, New York. Michaels also called several World Series during the 1980s, including the 1989 Bay Area series between the Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants that was interrupted by an earthquake during Game 3.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
At his age and the position he is in, he should know better and do better.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Hell, you can drink like 3 beers and get to .08.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
He wasn't that drunk. Your BAC for a breathalizer is on a bell curve. Once upon a time in Texas, the legal limit was .1.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's BS, I think I'm drunker than that right now based off the fumes from last night.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
As a professional and a public figure, he needs to comply with whatever the legal standard is. And he certainly has the money to call a cab or get a driver if he knows he's going to or may be drinking. It's silly for someone of his stature to tarnish his public image, even slightly, when he easily could've avoided it with some common sense (either drink no more than one beer per hour, or call a cab, or stop drinking a sufficiently long enough time prior to driving).

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
As a professional and a public figure, he needs to comply with whatever the legal standard is. And he certainly has the money to call a cab or get a driver if he knows he's going to or may be drinking. It's silly for someone of his stature to tarnish his public image, even slightly, when he easily could've avoided it with some common sense (either drink no more than one beer per hour, or call a cab, or stop drinking a sufficiently long enough time prior to driving).
Well said. I love when people drive and I don't have to. Cabbies are sometimes a bit creepy, but if you have the money fug it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agreed, I always take a cab or have someone else drive, but I'm certain he wasn't particularly drunk.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
While it's true that he has to comply with the legal limits, the legal limit is stupid.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I don't drink alcohol so I don't have this problem. But if you're inclined be prepared to take the appropriate measures to get home safely and legally.

Carl

RIP Brother
I live in Santa Monica. the Police here are for the most part forgiving.

His mistake was making a U turn when he saw a sobriety check point ....come on.

Anyway, he is a arsehole. When last he sat in as a guest on Peter Kings MMQB, his travel tip was to stay at the Four Seasons when you have an option....Really, thanks.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Pat was an alcoholic with liver issues.

Anyway, I hate to see a guy get screwed over .08. Yes, he should know better but man, that's rough.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I was curious to see how the national media outlets would handle this and surprisingly I didn't hear or see a single mention of Michaels' arrest during the Monday shows.

I thought it was a pretty big story given Michaels' stature in the world of sports. But apparently Michaels is so well loved and respected that they gave him a pass. I've seen them at least mention and provide opinions on other journalists who have been in trouble with the law.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I was wondering to see who would pick up on that. Skid, you're a champ.

you wanna do karate in the garage?
As long as it's shadow karate. I don't mess around with no full contact karate with Asians.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't .08 almost everywhere now? I agree it's low.
Yeah the federal government basically strong armed all states into lowering it to .08. If States didn't want to comply they basically wouldn't get federal funding for roads or some bullshit.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah the federal government basically strong armed all states into lowering it to .08. If States didn't want to comply they basically wouldn't get federal funding for roads or some bullshit.
MADD must have poured on the political pressure.

Top Bottom