Werder: Why Garrett's job security could be Cowboys' biggest concern on draft day

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
NFL analyst: Why Jason Garrett's job security could be Dallas Cowboys' biggest concern on draft day

Published: 20 April 2013 06:31 PM

NFL analyst Ed Werder joined Fitzsimmons and Durrett on KESN-FM this week to talk about the Dallas Cowboys' off-season. Here are some highlights:

On the most pressing need for the Cowboys in the draft:

I think the biggest concern they have to have is being mindful of the fact that Jason Garrett, more than any other coach in the history of the Cowboys, has been put on notice before the season begins and before the draft is held that he has to win this year. And you can’t let that and the fact that he’s going to want somebody who’s going to help him achieve that this season and protect his job override doing what’s best for the franchise long term.
In other words, if the top five offensive linemen are gone, and I think there’s a high probability that will happen before 18, then I don’t think they Cowboys can force the pick. If a safety is there, they should take a safety. If [receivers] Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson is there, they should take a wide receiver because that’s what is best long term. You look at Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens and what they’ve done, and Ozzie Newsome just takes the best player every year and ultimately he needs the player and the player is more than capable of performing his job and helping a team like the Ravens make the playoffs every year and win a Super Bowl a year ago. So I think that’s the biggest concern for the Cowboys is don’t let Jason Garrett’s job being in jeopardy be overly influential in the decisions they make in the draft room.

On his initial thoughts on the Cowboys’ schedule:

I think they’re fortunate that they’re able to open up at home with a high-profile game on a night they normally don’t prevail against a quarterback they’ve never beaten in their building. Overall, I think it’s a pretty good schedule for them in terms of allowing them an opportunity late in the year to play some of the teams they’re going to be competing against for the playoffs and, in all likelihood, for the division, which is something the NFL has emphasized the last couple of years. I think an older team like they are could suffer waiting for their bye until that late in the year since they kind of already a late-season bye built in with the Thanksgiving game that they play.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
I'm not a big fan of Garrett. But a good draft could help me have a little more faith.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's why you should have a GM who is separate from the head coach. So Jerry got that part right at least.

Unfortunately, he forgot the competent part.

Also unfortunately, Jerry makes his decisions based on what is best to help the coach win this year a lot of the time.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
It's why you should have a GM who is separate from the head coach. So Jerry got that part right at least.
Yeah, but we need a GM separate from the owner.

Unfortunately, he forgot the competent part.
If he wasn't a raging drunk, I could have a little more faith in him too. At least he's sometimes well advised.

Also unfortunately, Jerry makes his decisions based on what is best to help the coach win this year a lot of the time.
It's been so long since we've won that I'm hoping that's the case this year. It would be nice to have several guys who can come in and start off the bat.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I think this year's Garrett 8-8 will be way better than last year's Garrett 8-8.

Top Bottom