Archer: Upon Further Review - Cowboys Week 10

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Upon Further Review: Cowboys Week 10

November, 11, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

NEW ORLEANS -- A review of four hot issues from the Dallas Cowboys' 49-17 loss to theNew Orleans Saints.

Going nowhere: Only three times in their first 10 games have the Cowboys converted on at least 40 percent of their third-down opportunities. They were 0-for-9 against the Saints.Tony Romo missed on all six of his third-down passes, continuing a poor season-long trend for the quarterback. Romo was the 30th-ranked quarterback in third-down passer rating before Sunday, ranking ahead of only Matt Schaub and Brandon Weeden. Winning on third down is a must, and the Cowboys don't win nearly enough.

"Typically you have to get yourself in favorable third-down situations," coach Jason Garrett said. "I believe you have to make first downs on first down and drive the football and stay out of some of those third-down situations. But when the time comes you've got to convert and you've got to make some plays, and we've just got to do a better job. We'll evaluate what we're doing and see if we can put our players in better positions to do that."

Pounded on the ground: The Saints ran for 282 yards against the Cowboys. Mark Ingram had 145 yards.Pierre Thomas had 87 yards. It was the second time this season the Cowboys gave up 200-plus rushing yards. Washington had 216 yards on Oct. 13 but lost. The Cowboys have given up at least 84 yards on the ground in six of their last seven games. The Cowboys had eight players in the box Sunday, dropping a safety, but the line was of no help with the running backs often not getting touched as they broke through to the second level. That's where they missed Sean Lee, but the tackling was atrocious.

"It's not good when they can just line up and run it right at you," defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said.

Slowing down: Terrance Williams was able to catch a 21-yard touchdown pass from Romo, but it was his only catch of the game on five targets.

In the last three games, Williams has caught just five of the last 22 passes thrown his way. Not all targets are created equal and viewing them purely in a batting average fashion can be dangerous, but Williams has to be more efficient. If teams are going to do whatever they can to take away Dez Bryant, then Williams has to win more. If he wins, then Bryant cannot be doubled as easily as he has been doubled. A healthy return of Miles Austin would also help the offense and Williams.

What's the deal? Maybe the Cowboys don't lead the league in hamstring injuries, but they must be close. Lee was forced from Sunday's game in the first half. Justin Durant was forced out in the second half. Claiborne did not play against the Saints because of a hamstring injury. Austin missed his fifth game in the last seven weeks because of a hamstring injury.

Garrett is confounded by the issue that has cropped up and has said the Cowboys examine all of their stretching issues before and after practices as well as before games.

"I think they're fairly common around the league," Garrett said, "but we've certainly had our share of them."

superpunk

Banned
"It's not good when they can just line up and run it right at you," defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin said.
I have to laugh to stop the hurt. It's also not good when any QB who is half decent can go for 400+ on you, Monte.

God I hate this team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have to laugh to stop the hurt. It's also not good when any QB who is half decent can go for 400+ on you, Monte.

God I hate this team.
Easily the most unlikeable Cowboys team I can remember.

It is one thing to not like the head coach. Or some of the players.

I just don't like much of anyone anymore.

I don't wish them success or even failure anymore. I am just tired of them and the repetitive behavior.

superpunk

Banned
Yup. Witten and Lee are super likeable guys. So are Ware and Romo. I don't want to hear it anymore, about how you have to get back to work analyze what went wrong, etc. What went wrong is we need better players who can stay on the field and a coaching staff that knows how to use them. Complete rebuild time. Let Jason go finish his career Tony G style, cut Ware, we're probably stuck on the Romo train. We have no talent at RB so it doesn't matter. We can't build a D around Lee because he can't stay on the field. Carr may be our only starter worth a damn and he's crazy mediocre. Maybe we can build around 31 year old Jason Hatcher. I hate everything.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Our building blocks are basically Gavin Escobar and BW Webb. Thanks Jerry.

superpunk

Banned
5 more years of watching Bruce Carter get worked in coverage like he's the slower, less talented brother of Keith Brooking and Bradie James.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Easily the most unlikeable Cowboys team I can remember.

It is one thing to not like the head coach. Or some of the players.

I just don't like much of anyone anymore.

I don't wish them success or even failure anymore. I am just tired of them and the repetitive behavior.

I just can't get myself to hate Bailey.

superpunk

Banned
Dan Bailey can kick here as long as he likes.

LP Ladoceur can fuck right off.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Upon further review, this team can fuck off.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yup. Witten and Lee are super likeable guys. So are Ware and Romo. I don't want to hear it anymore, about how you have to get back to work analyze what went wrong, etc. What went wrong is we need better players who can stay on the field and a coaching staff that knows how to use them. Complete rebuild time. Let Jason go finish his career Tony G style, cut Ware, we're probably stuck on the Romo train. We have no talent at RB so it doesn't matter. We can't build a D around Lee because he can't stay on the field. Carr may be our only starter worth a damn and he's crazy mediocre. Maybe we can build around 31 year old Jason Hatcher. I hate everything.
For once, you and I are in total agreement.

I would blow this piece of shit team up and start all over because no one on it is truly worth building around for various reasons.

Unfortunately, we'll be stuck with more of the same for the foreseeable future.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I have the same sentiments as most here.

I cannot stand Witten, Romo, Carter, Claiborne and Free. All talk, excuses, and poor performance. No leadership.

Slightly down the list of hate would be Ware, Lee and Church. Injury, spotty performance, and limited leadership there. I put Lee in there because he's turning out to be injury prone.

I really like Bailey and Harris.

Everyone else I could take or leave.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I like Dez, I like Harris, and I really want to love Lee, but his injury shit is getting old.

Dez has his flaws, but he is the one guy that I'm sure of actually hates losing and is already tired of being part of this circus team.

For that alone, I have a ton of respect for him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
UncleMilti said:
I have the same sentiments as most here.

I cannot stand Witten, Romo, Carter, Claiborne and Free. All talk, excuses, and poor performance. No leadership.

Slightly down the list of hate would be Ware, Lee and Church. Injury, spotty performance, and limited leadership there. I put Lee in there because he's turning out to be injury prone.

I really like Bailey and Harris.

Everyone else I could take or leave.
I agree, except for Witten. Can't blame him for being stuck in this mess for a decade.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Offensively I like our talent a lot. Dez, Williams, Murray, Harris, Beasley, Hanna are all keepers. Smith is a stud and Fred has a chance to be too. We are not lacking on offensive talent. Romo is what is holding the team back...and the scheme as well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I waffle on Murray...sometimes I can't stand the guy, but when used properly he is effective. We do need another RB though.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I waffle on Murray...sometimes I can't stand the guy, but when used properly he is effective. We do need another RB though.
Murray does have his moments, but by no means should he be resigned unless it's pretty damn cheap with his injury history

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am fine with that, but you can't overhaul an entire offense in one offseason. What we should have done was churn guys lime Dunbar and Tanner...instead they are still on the roster with no chance at ever being a legit threat here or somewhere else..

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I agree, except for Witten. Can't blame him for being stuck in this mess for a decade.
I expected more leadership from Witten.

Top Bottom