Dez Bryant’s advisor says Dez wants a new deal after the season

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dez Bryant’s advisor says Dez wants a new deal after the season

Posted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2013, 3:06 PM EST

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant is sufficiently passionate about football to yell at people about it. After this football season, he’ll be passionate about getting paid.

It remains to be seen whether he’ll yell at anyone about it.

Bryant’s advisor (not agent but advisor) David Wells tells Michael Silver of NFL Network that Bryant looks forward to signing a long-term deal in the offseason.

Bryant is due to make a base salary of $1.78 million in 2014, the final year of his rookie deal. But the Cowboys currently are more than $30 million over the salary cap in 2014, making it harder to find the money to pay Bryant.

While it won’t be impossible to shuffle money to get the cap situation within line, they’ll need to clear at least $35 million to $40 million in order to sign draft picks and other veterans and extend Bryant’s deal, especially if he’s looking for high-end money.

So even if the Cowboys want to extend Bryant’s deal, it could be difficult if not impossible to do it. And there’s really nothing Bryant can do about it.

Carl

RIP Brother
Dez will get whatever he wants, partially due to his talent, more to do with how this organisation does their business.

I will ask this question, how does a complete hack like Florio end up on NBC Sunday Night Football. Just read the first sentence, his writing is deplorable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He had a bad drop today but so did all our key receivers.
Every WR is going to drop passes. Dez doesn't really drop that many, so I'm not worried.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Im definitely starting to lean that way. Just needs to turn that corner but not sure he ever will. We will probably just get a tease here and there.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Give him the big deal asap and dont re-sign him afterwards. He'll be good for top 10 production for 5-6 more years. Lets stop signing the 30 year olds to Ratliff/Austin style extensions

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Im definitely starting to lean that way. Just needs to turn that corner but not sure he ever will. We will probably just get a tease here and there.
You talking about a tease of his talent? I would say we have been over run with his talent. The tease is his occasional, but not all that often drops.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
One thing concerns me is something Marriuchi said earlier today. In SF, TO's behavior didn't get out of control until he got his first big contract.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dez, be smart and get the hell out of here while you can.

Don't make the same mistake Sean Lee just made, or you'll join him along with Ware and Witten as Cowboy greats whose careers didn't amount to shit because they played for this circus of a franchise.

If winning is what truly matters, go somewhere else.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You talking about a tease of his talent? I would say we have been over run with his talent. The tease is his occasional, but not all that often drops.
I'm talking about taking over a game and being an elite WR. He really doesn't do that. He is a very good WR that occasionally plays elite like. He is not a Calvin Johnson or a TO. He has too many games like yesterday. Maybe he turns the corner but right now he hasn't.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm talking about taking over a game and being an elite WR. He really doesn't do that. He is a very good WR that occasionally plays elite like. He is not a Calvin Johnson or a TO. He has too many games like yesterday. Maybe he turns the corner but right now he hasn't.
That's a fair point, but I also don't think this staff does enough to get the most out of him and Romo frequently ignores him.

It's hard to truly judge him when we have an incompetent offensive staff.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Don't make the same mistake Sean Lee just made, or you'll join him along with Ware and Witten as Cowboy greats whose careers didn't amount to shit because they played for this circus of a franchise.

:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Wow. All the hate. Strange indeed.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wow. All the hate. Strange indeed.
Not hate, it's just the truth.

If you were a player's agent, why own earth would you advise your client to sign with Dallas for any other reason outside of money?

This team isn't winning anything for the foreseeable future.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not hate, it's just the truth.

If you were a player's agent, why own earth would you advise your client to sign with Dallas for any other reason outside of money?

This team isn't winning anything for the foreseeable future.
Conversely why would you want one of the better players to leave your team?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Conversely why would you want one of the better players to leave your team?
I don't want them to leave per se, but I don't want the guys who deserve better to have their careers rot because they stayed here.

Again, look at Ware and Witten - two HOF talents and good guys who have nothing but their own personal stats to show that they did anything in this league. They should have been on consistent playoff teams but instead they spent more time out of the playoffs than in them.

That's a shame.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't want them to leave per se, but I don't want the guys who deserve better to have their careers rot because they stayed here.

Again, look at Ware and Witten - two HOF talents and good guys who have nothing but their own personal stats to show that they did anything in this league. They should have been on consistent playoff teams but instead they spent more time out of the playoffs than in them.

That's a shame.
I don't know what to tell you. The league is full of great players who are on non achieving teams. The draft system is a conduit for putting great players on poor performing teams.

Top Bottom