Archer: Cowboys juggling things at guard

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys juggling things at guard

October, 31, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With starting right guard Brian Waters out possibly for the season with a triceps injury, the Dallas Cowboys will start Mackenzy Bernadeau at that spot.

But the team is auditioning for backups at the position.

Thursday's latest participant was tackle Darrion Weems, who has never played the position before.

"Just a different animal," Weems said of practicing at guard on Thursday. "Tackle everything you get to be more patient and kind of wait for things to happen a little bit more or less. At guard, everything happens quicker. It’s like, ‘Boom! It’s all in your face.’ Everything has to be kind of on the line. It’s not that bad, though. I kind of like it. I think [Bill] Callahan just wanted to see me in there. He was like, ‘Yeah, Weemer, let me get a look at you at guard today.'"

Starting right tackle Doug Free and backup center Phil Costa received looks at the guard position during practices this week.

Of course, the Cowboys want to make sure continuity is built along the line and are just mixing and matching players as a precaution. Offensive line coach and playcaller Bill Callahan wants his offensive linemen to play multiple spots in case a starter goes down with an injury.

"Yeah, we continue to develop [practice squad guard] David Arkin, who is back," Callahan said. "He’s done some good things. We’re still utilizing Ron [Leary] and Mackenzy Bernadeau and of course with that putting Weems into that spot as well. So we’re moving everybody that we can to try to get reps and try to assess and try to build the depth so to speak."

Carp

DCC 4Life
Please use all caps for angry posts.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Thank you...your anger amuses me.

Cotton

Staff member
Glad I could brighten your day.

Can we get back together? I really miss your skin.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, that missing you faded fast.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I know there was talk about shuffling Frederick to guard, glad they haven't gone through with that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This could get really fugly y'all. Romo has been under siege lately and hasn't played great, but it could get a lot worse without Waters.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This could get really fugly y'all. Romo has been under siege lately and hasn't played great, but it could get a lot worse without Waters.
They need to screen more with Dunbar to throttle that rush a bit. Oh yeah, and Murray needs to get healthy fast.

Top Bottom