Jerry Jones: Deion Sanders could have shut down Megatron

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Deion Sanders could have shut down Megatron

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 29, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT

Watching Calvin Johnson shred his defense on Sunday, Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones would have loved to have had one of his old cornerbacks back: Jones said on Tuesday that he believes Deion Sanders, the Hall of Famer who played cornerback in Dallas from 1995 to 1999, could have done the job of covering Megatron.

Asked on KRLD-FM if Sanders could have shut down Megatron, Jones answered, “Yes, I do.”

Jones elaborated that Sanders was as good a shutdown corner as he’s ever seen, and so he’d like Sanders’s chances against any receiver.

“Deion has such catch-up speed and he had real good center-field ability,” Jones said, via ESPNDallas.com. “He could really play the ball, and he had such ability to get into position to play the ball. Now, you’re talking about the greatest cover guy maybe that’s played this game. I’ve seen where he’s been declared the greatest cover guy. Hall of Famer. But I do think he could do a real good job on Johnson. Johnson’s going to get some probably, but I think he could do a great job. Deion’s a great player.”

Sanders was a phenomenal player, and maybe the best cornerback ever to play the game. But at 6-foot-1 and 198 pounds, it would have been a tall order for him to cover the 6-foot-5, 236-pound Johnson. Prime Time vs. Megatron would have been a great battle to see.
----------------

Is there a real reason this imbecile made this a topic of conversation? I am really trying to understand it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Al Davis: Raiders could win "three more Superbowls this decade" if they could just find another Howie Long

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is there a real reason this imbecile made this a topic of conversation? I am really trying to understand it.
He is on a tear throwing his players under the bus. I'm not understanding it either. Except maybe he just thinks the more he talks about the players the more he thinks he looks football smart.

superpunk

Banned
I can see why you're having trouble comprehending it, since you apparently lack the ability to read articles before you comment on them.

Asked on KRLD-FM if Sanders could have shut down Megatron, Jones answered, “Yes, I do.”
Now, class - did Jerry Jones:

a) make this a topic of conversation
b) get asked this on a radio interview
c) eat a raw hot dog off of Rob Ryan's ass.

SfielDallas

Brand New Member
Just to play along, Calvin would have destroyed Deon. Can u imagine him trying to tackle Calvin?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sanders would not have shut down Johnson. He is too strong and has superior jumping ability. His timing on a jump is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

superpunk

Banned
I don't think his strength would be a problem for Deion. It's not like Deion was up muscling guys, he was just so much faster and better at anticipating that he would get to the spot first.

Deion couldn't handle Johnson's elevation though. Noone can.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is on a tear throwing his players under the bus. I'm not understanding it either. Except maybe he just thinks the more he talks about the players the more he thinks he looks football smart.
To me, him even answering the question was a waste of time.

Hey, could Emmitt Smith break the rushing title behind this shit OL? Just as relevant.

Dumb question that didn't even deserve a response.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Would have been great to have seen Claiborne on Megatron.

You know, since he had the Cowboys highest CB grade since Prime Time and stuff.

superpunk

Banned

Hey, could Emmitt Smith break the rushing title behind this shit OL? Just as relevant.

Terrible save.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

You expected an unabashed media whore not to comment?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Anything to take the eye off the real problem.

That's what makes Jerry the great GM that he is.

p1_

DCC 4Life
watching the replays from his cozy NFL channel confines, Deion was asked how to defend Johnson. He said, "two Revises".

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Irvin had Deion's number more often than not, so no, Deion would not have stopped Calvin. Deion was at his worst against tall, physical receivers.

Aside from that, as booze said, what is the point of this dumbass commenting on this? Is it that hard to just say, "I dont know, I'm focused on 2013"?

Top Bottom