DC.Com Writers Give Another Cowboys Mock (Selections 1-6)

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=2]DC.Com Writers Give Another Cowboys Mock (Selections 1-6)[/h]Posted 2 hours ago
By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – This is the time of year when mock drafts are everywhere.

Websites from all over weigh in with various opinions on where these prospects are going to end up. So each Friday, the DallasCowboys.com staff will select their own mock draft, projecting what the Cowboys will do from rounds 1-6, along with some quick analysis for their decision.
For the second straight week, all five analysts picked a different player with the No. 18 overall pick.

The draft is coming up soon, so let’s have some fun and let these guys take a stab at it:
Bryan
Nick
Ed
Rowan
David
Round 1
18th
Sylvester
Williams

DT - UNC​
Tavon
Austin

WR - WVU​
Star
Lotulelei

DT - Utah​
Jonathan
Cooper

G - UNC​
Sheldon
Richardson

DT - Missouri​
Round 2
17(47)
Justin
Hunter

WR - Tennessee​
Barrett
Jones
G/C - Alabama
Justin
Hunter

WR - Tennessee​
Le'veon

Bell

RB - Mich. State​
Eric
Reid

S - LSU​
Round 3
18(80)
Monte
Ball

RB - Wisconsin​
Joseph
Randle
RB - Ok. State
David
Quessenberry

OT - San Jose St.​
Bennie
Logan

DT - LSU​
Nick
Kasa
TE - Colorado
Round 4
17(114)
Brian
Waters
OG - Kent State​
Montori
Hughes
DT - M.Tenn St.
D.C.

Jefferson

TE - Rutgers​
J.J.
Wilcox
S - GA. Southern​
Jordan
Hill
DT - Penn State
Round 5
18(151)
Dion
Sims

TE - Michigan St.​
Earl
Watford
G - James Madison
Jakar
Hamilton

S - SC State​
Josh
Boyce

WR - TCU​
Jeff

Baca
OG - UCLA
Round 6
17(185)
Zeke
Motta

S - Notre Dame​
Dallas
Thomas
OT - Tennessee
Knile
Davis

RB - Arkansas​
Nick
Kasa

TE - Colorado​
Theo
Riddick
RB - Notre Dame

Bryan Broaddus’ Mock Analysis: For this week’s mock, it’s another situation where the board has exhausted the majority of the players the front office might have targeted. With no way to go back and the idea of having the options of selecting Slyvester Williams or DJ Fluker, they choose to take Williams who they could plug in at either the one or the three technique and go to work. With no offensive linemen on the board at 47 and Eric Reid off the board off the board as well, they turn to the talent Justin Hunter from Tennessee, who has played all three wide receiver positions in college for Derek Dooley. In the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] they add the most complete back in the draft, Monte Ball and come back in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] with the versatile Brian Winters who can play guard or tackle and is a nice fit for the zone scheme. In the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] they catch a break and grab a player they probably have higher on their board because of his blocking ability at the point of attack and that is Dion Sims from Michigan State. In the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] looking at the safeties, Zeke Motta is a physical player that is not afraid to stick his nose in there to make a tackle. Has some surprising cover skill but is much better when it is in front of him.

Nick Eatman’s Mock Analysis: I tried to stay with the offensive linemen but I’m not seeing a guard being on the board at No. 18. Not really sure Austin will be there either but if he is, he’s the type of guy Jerry Jones has a hard time passing up. He’s a smaller player, but very electric. I still think Barrett Jones would be worth taking there despite some injury concerns and Randle is a tough, physical
runner who could be a similar replacement for DeMarco Murray, if needed. In the later rounds, I added some players to help the line, but I know my draft lacks a safety – arguably the biggest need on this team. But if it’s not getting filled early, then why not let Matt Johnson try, plus a rookie free agent will probably stand out.

Ed Cahill’s Mock Analysis: This is a dream scenario in the first round for the Cowboys. If a few quarterbacks, a couple wide receivers, both guards, Kenny Vaccaro, and Sharrif Floyd are off the board, you could see Star Lotulelei in range for the Cowboys. Moved Justin Hunter up a round from last week. He’s a dynamic player on the outside and upgrades your passing attack immediately. Qussenbery is a converted tight end, and fits the bill for what the Cowboys look for in a prototype right tackle; an athletic player with quick feet that can get out and help the run game. You might think fourth round is high for a tight end, and it is, but selecting D.C. Jefferson is a move I think the Cowboys could make in the middle rounds, and he might not make it past them at 135[SUP]th[/SUP] overall. Knile Davis has all the tools to be a successful NFL running back, and if he’s there late in the draft it’s worth taking a chance on him.

Rowan Kavner’s Mock Analysis: OK, so Cooper may not get there. But there’s a chance either Cooper or Warmack falls a little further than some are predicting. Plus, if either one is still available a pick or two before the Cowboys select, they could make a move to trade up. These mock drafts are more about predicting what the team will do than suggesting what it should do, but missing out on the best offensive linemen in this draft could be costly.
Bell’s size and production can’t be found elsewhere on this board, and the Cowboys have already shown interest in the running back. Logan makes his way onto my board again, this time jumping into the third round. Wilcox is an interesting player having played at a smaller school and not played safety very long, but his athleticism could make him a hidden gem. Kasa gives the Cowboys a massive tight end that could eventually help bolster the line’s blocking.

David Helman’s Mock Analysis: In my best-case scenario, I’d want Dallas to draft either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper. But I just can’t convince myself they’ll be available at No. 18. So I’m again opting for defensive help, and Richardson might be the best available defender. Reid fits for a variety of reasons – he’ll likely be the best safety left, and this staff has a connection with LSU. Kasa is one of the biggest tight ends available for an offense that could use a blocking tight end – he could help tremendously with the run game. By the fourth round, the top-tier defensive tackles will be gone, but Jordan Hill could offer a lot of bang for the buck at this round. Baca could help out as a guard, but he could also transition to center. Riddick is the latest idea in my quest to find a late-round running back. He’s got reliable hands and a good build for power running.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
All of them have guys I like. But if we got Lotulelei in rd 1, Barrett Jones in rd 2, and Montee Ball in rd 3, I would throw a stripper party with a coke buffet.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am intrigued by the Justin Hunter picks. But there are some who are whispering he's the next WR off the board in this draft after Austin.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
Broaddus has Sims going to us in the 5th. That's who I think we'll go for in the 5th as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate them all.
I start to like some of them and then they just have to force a TE or RB pick in the first 3 rounds. David's starts out good and then he takes a TE in the third round.

Any draft that has us taking a RB/TE in the second/third round will piss me off at this point. I understand on draft day that the best player available could be at those positions but these guys aren't picking based on steals because that's really not something you can predict. You can't predict a first round TE falling to the third round and I don't think any of the players they are talking about would be "steals" where they took them.

Ed's starts off with two steals but then Quessenberry does little to make me feel better about the O-line and he follows it up with a TE in the fourth.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I like Eatman's first 2 rounds and would love it even more if we signed Clabo or Winston to boot.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
All of them have guys I like. But if we got Lotulelei in rd 1, Barrett Jones in rd 2, and Montee Ball in rd 3, I would throw a stripper party with a coke buffet.
~rooting for Lotulelei in rd 1, B. Jones in rd 2, Ball in rd 3, and an invite to Cujo's party~

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
~rooting for Lotulelei in rd 1, B. Jones in rd 2, Ball in rd 3, and an invite to Cujo's party~
I don't really want Barrett Jones in the second round. He gets pushed backwards way too often for my liking. He has the right attitude/leadership but I don't know that he has the physical ability to warrant a second round pick. There are better centers to be taken at that point IMO.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't really want Barrett Jones in the second round. He gets pushed backwards way too often for my liking. He has the right attitude/leadership but I don't know that he has the physical ability to warrant a second round pick. There are better centers to be taken at that point IMO.
I agree.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He won't go in the second with a Lisfranc.

But you cannot beat the value of a guy like him in the third/fourth IMO.

There are three centers worth a crap and it is highly likely they don't go in the second anyways.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Fair enough, but I was really just rooting for the stripper party/coke buffet.

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
Nick Eatman's isn't even realistic, imo. I like Rowans', but I don't think Cooper will be there in RD 1. I'd flip my lid if he was though. So I'd say Broaddus's is the most realistic.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we go with the Broaddus route here I will lose it.

Top Bottom