Cowboys resign McCray

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
APRIL 19, 2013

Cowboys sign S McCray to return this season

The Dallas Cowboys have signed safety Danny McCray, a restricted free agent who started 10 games last season, team officials announced today. McCray recorded a career-high 87 tackles for the Cowboys last season, second on the team, and added five pass breakups and one tackle for loss. He also finished with 18 special-teams tackles, second among Cowboys’ players.

_ Jimmy Burch

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And....we can scratch safety off the needs list.

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
APRIL 19, 2013

Cowboys sign S McCray to return this season

The Dallas Cowboys have signed safety Danny McCray, a restricted free agent who started 10 games last season, team officials announced today. McCray recorded a career-high 87 tackles for the Cowboys last season, second on the team, and added five pass breakups and one tackle for loss. He also finished with 18 special-teams tackles, second among Cowboys’ players.

_ Jimmy Burch
:picard

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
McCray recorded a career-high 87 tackles for the Cowboys last season, second on the team, and added five pass breakups and one tackle for loss. He also finished with 18 special-teams tackles, second among Cowboys’ players.
Is there a stat for game-losing missed tackles? McCray should be among league leaders if so.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It has to be for ST. They saw enough of him at S last year to know he is a liability there. They do have a history of giving what should be pure ST safeties too many plays from scrimmage though. ~looks at bullet-riddled Keith Davis~

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not gonna go all Picard just yet. Tell me what he signed for and if he is being looked at to start. If it's only for ST and depth, I can live with it for a decent deal.
Pretty sure we tendered him 1.323 mil at some point. These aren't guys you should be resigning to anything over the minimum. He is your standard run of the mill special teams coverage guy with no other ability. These guys can be found all the time for the minimum price tag.

It's not just the money though, I just hate McCray as a player. I don't want players on my team that have no ability to play a position outside of special teams unless they are a kicker, punter or long snapper.

midswat

... soon
Like the move if we have him focus on being Gods Gift to Special Teams, like he was before they decided he needed snaps on defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We already tendered the guy. This was only a formality.

I've already bitched about this before....now it is whatever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We already tendered the guy. This was only a formality.

I've already bitched about this before....now it is whatever.
Yeah it wasn't like anyone else was going to offer him a contract. If we cut him tomorrow I would be surprised if anyone even bothered to sign him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like the move if we have him focus on being Gods Gift to Special Teams, like he was before they decided he needed snaps on defense.
That would be nice if he were God's gift to ST.

He's really not that great.

Not terrible, but tell me the last time a team could identify a bad special teams ace?

To me a guy you hang onto for dear life racks up the tackles, forces a fumble now and then and possibly blocks a kick.

Let's just say we have seen great ST demons in Dallas' history and McCray isn't even in the same category.

I honestly think we should try to keep Frampton. He did a good job last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah it wasn't like anyone else was going to offer him a contract. If we cut him tomorrow I would be surprised if anyone even bothered to sign him.
He'd get signed. And cut in training camp because people would realize he can't do anything else other than play STs and his play there doesn't make in indispensable.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think people are way to hard on McCray he did some good things in sub packages before being exposed as a starter.

I don't think you find a guy so easy that can play on every special at an above average level as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think people are way to hard on McCray he did some good things in sub packages before being exposed as a starter.

I don't think you find a guy so easy that can play on every special at an above average level as well.
He's a JAG. You can find a ST guy like him practically anywhere. Frampton was just as effective on ST and ineffective in subpackages.

You'd think he's Bill Bates or something. He's not.

He's a decent ST guy we are misevaluating and overvaluing....like we do with the majority of the roster.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's a decent ST guy we are misevaluating and overvaluing....like we do with the majority of the roster.
It's a bad pattern. I can see us in an attempt to break it getting miserly at just the wrong time and losing a kid like Bryant who actually has a chance of outplaying almost any deal you sign him to. Watch it happen.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's a JAG. You can find a ST guy like him practically anywhere. Frampton was just as effective on ST and ineffective in subpackages.

You'd think he's Bill Bates or something. He's not.

Amen. He's solid but nothing special on ST, and he's beyond garbage at S. He is the poster child for players teams should move on from. He can be replaced - easily - at a third of the salary we tendered him.

Top Bottom