Bob McGinn's Draft Series - 2013

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Always an interesting read every year...

--------------------------

Bob McGinn's draft series: Receivers, tight ends

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

April 17, 2013

Green Bay - Good luck to the National Football League coaching staff and quarterback that expect Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson to play well from scrimmage as a rookie.

In fact, many of the red flags that portend B-U-S-T will accompany Patterson when he's brought to the Radio City Music Hall stage April 25 after his name is called in the first round of the draft.

Patterson, a strapping 6 feet 2 inches and 217 pounds, is the most dynamic big man in the draft - at least when he has the ball under his arm. West Virginia's Tavon Austin (5-8 ½, 173), the other leading wide receiver, is the most electrifying little man.

Each year, the game on offense is being called more at the line. In turn, defensive coordinators live and die on their ability to confuse passers and receivers.

The last-second adjustments have placed additional burden on wide receiver, a position that wasn't always associated with mental acuity.

"When you look at the skill positions, the receivers usually take the longest to acclimate," said Howie Roseman, general manager of the Philadelphia Eagles. "Because they're not seeing a lot of press coverage in college football. Then they've got to pick up offenses that sometimes are more complex than they're used to in college."

C.O. Brocato of the Tennessee Titans, the grand old man of NFL scouting, said IQ is a vital part of the wide-receiver equation.

"They say it's not but I think it is," Brocato said. "They say just put a guy out there with speed and let him go. Where is he going to go? If he can't learn, how is he going to play?"

Therein lies the rub, particularly with Patterson. In the last two weeks, scouts from 10 teams expressed varying degrees of reservation whether he'll be up to the coming challenge.

"Mentally, it's going to be a project," one personnel man said. "Running routes, he doesn't know how to do any of that stuff. You may have to keep it simple for him, but this is football. It's not building a super glider or anything."

According to several teams, Patterson wasn't impressive during interviews at the combine. He also scored 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, which caused more consternation.

"You're not expecting receivers to be in the 30s," an AFC personnel director said. "But you've got to have some type of intelligence to pick up the system.

"Toward the end of the year, they started to go away from running Patterson down the field on routes and gave him the ball on reverses and screens, even as a halfback at times. That starts to put a question mark in your head. Why?

"Well, there's reasons, and it's just not being as proficient with his route-running and not having the ability to make adjustments during the game."

Austin's test score was even lower at 7, but the majority of scouts expect him to learn a playbook without a major hitch.

"He's not a quick study and it will take him a little time," another personnel director said. "He will work at it. He cares greatly about it."

Justin Hunter, Patterson's teammate, scored just 12, but scouts consider him less of a risk mentally.

Patterson's journey to this point was unconventional, to say the least.

After spending time at two junior colleges and playing the 2010 and '11 seasons at Hutchinson (Kan.) College, Patterson was admitted to Tennessee in July. Six months later, he was declaring for the draft a year early.

It's difficult to find JUCO wide receivers that spent just one season at a major college before entering the draft. One was Robert Ferguson, a junior-college player who spent six months at Texas A&M before being drafted in the second round by the Green Bay Packers in 2001.

As a rookie, Ferguson had no idea what it took to be a pro and was inactive for 17 of 18 games. In nine seasons, he caught 151 passes.

Of the Packers' six No. 1 wideouts in their West Coast era (Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Javon Walker and Greg Jennings), the only one to flourish as a rookie was Jennings.

Sharpe dropped eight passes and didn't score a touchdown until Game 14. Brooks had several key drops and lost confidence. Freeman made eight receptions, and Driver made three. Walker kept blowing assignments and dropped nine.

"There's a huge correlation between experience playing the position in college and success in the NFL," one scout said. "Intelligence and work ethic are probably the two most important qualities because it's extremely tough."

Over the past decade, 10 wide receivers that declared at least a year early and were drafted in the first two rounds can be categorized as busts.

With their Wonderlic scores, they are Jon Baldwin (14), Darrius Heyward-Bey (14), Devin Thomas (23), Malcolm Kelly (22), James Hardy (14), Dwayne Jarrett (14), Chad Jackson (15), Troy Williamson (21), Reggie Williams (17) and Charles Rogers (10).

Meanwhile, intelligence is deemed a plus for Keenan Allen (19) and Robert Woods (23), the next-best receivers behind Patterson and Austin.

"Allen and Woods just know how to play," an NFC personnel director said. "You throw them in, they're going to run the right route, get open and catch the ball.

"You can run fast 40s and be this and that, but if you don't know how to play it just kind of goes out the window."

The Journal Sentinel asked 16 personnel people to list their top five wide receivers and top four tight ends. At wide receiver, a first-place vote was worth five points, a second was worth four and so on.

Patterson (seven firsts) led with 62 points, followed by Austin, 60 (six firsts); Allen, 40 (one first); Woods, 25; DeAndre Hopkins, 24 (one first); Hunter, 16; Terrance Williams, five; and Stedman Bailey and Quinton Patton, each four.

At tight end, Tyler Eifert led the way with 63 points (15 firsts), followed by Zach Ertz, 40 (one first); Gavin Escobar, 22; Travis Kelce, 14; Vance McDonald and Jordan Reed, eight; Nick Kasa and Mychal Rivera, two; and Chris Gragg, one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bob McGinn's draft series: Offensive Linemen

April 19, 2013

Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

TACKLES

1. LUKE JOECKEL, Texas A&M (6-6, 307, 5.30, 1) - Third-year junior started all 39 games at LT. "Look," one scout said. "There are times he gets rag-dolled. But you also have a pretty sure bet. What you see is what you get. He will start at left tackle and be real good." The son of a trial lawyer in Fort Worth, Texas, he scored 28 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. "Joeckel comes from a well-to-do family so he doesn't have that hunger that a lot of people have," another scout said. "He's not a flat-out, Walter Jones type, but he's every bit as good as Joe Thomas is. He's not a Hall of Famer, but he's really good." Arm length (34 ¼ inches) and hand size (10 1/8 inches) are good, not great. "He's just like Matt Kalil's double," a third scout said. "He's a great athlete with great technique. The only negative I have is he's not a powerful person. He gets pushed at times. I worry about him on the power."

2. ERIC FISHER, Central Michigan (6-7 ½, 304, 5.07, 1) - Only offers out of Stoney Creek (Mich.) High School were Eastern Michigan and CMU. "Just a late bloomer," said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl and a former personnel man for the Browns and Ravens. "He wasn't perfect at the Senior Bowl, but he was impressive. He looks like a pro. He's played in a two-point and a three-point (stance); it hasn't been all spread. You see him block down and use his hands. I think he's a little more ready to play today than Joeckel as far as the strength factor." Made 28 of his 34 starts at LT. Put on 60 pounds since arriving in Mount Pleasant, Mich. "First thing that jumped out at me was his ability to bend," Tennessee scout Johnny Meads said. "He's tough and physical enough. He has everything you want." Son of a postal worker in Rochester, Mich. Wonderlic of 23.

3. LANE JOHNSON, Oklahoma (6-6, 310, 4.74, 1) - Quarterback and free safety as a prep in Groveton, Texas, then quarterbacked for a year at a junior college. At Oklahoma, he played TE and DE in 2010 before starting at RT in '11 and LT in '12. "Built like a basketball player," one scout said. "He's got narrow hips, and those are the guys I usually don't like. But he has power. I don't know where he gets it from. I'm just amazed at what the guy is." Led O-linemen in the vertical jump (34) and broad jump (9-10), put up 28 reps on the bench press and had the second fastest 40. "He's one of the best testing tackles in recent history," said another scout. "He said his goal is to become the best tackle in this draft after they draft us." Long arms (35 ¼) and 28 on the Wonderlic. "I think he's a fraud," a third scout said. "He can't run block. I don't think he plays strong. I don't think he moves guys."

4. D.J. FLUKER, Alabama (6-4 ½, 334, 5.31, 1) - Fourth-year junior and three-year starter at RT. "Road-grading right tackle all the way, but somebody could try him at guard," one scout said. "He'll come off the ball and knock you out. Every once in a while he gets in trouble with his (pass) set. If he doesn't get any width and depth, he doesn't have the feet to get wide. I liked (Bryan) Bulaga a lot, but this guy is the same thing except he's stronger and as competitive. Maybe not as smart." Several scouts expressed major reservations about Fluker's study and work habits. "Great kid, but you don't want him doing your taxes," said one. Attended three high schools (spent senior year in Foley, Ala.) after his family was forced from New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina. Effervescent personality. Emotional leader of national champion Crimson Tide. "He's an Aaron Gibson type," a third scout said. "He's got real long arms (36 ¾). At the point, he gets on you. Fluker won't pull. He's similar to (the Vikings' Phil) Loadholt. He'll have some problems with speed rushers. I like his demeanor, but I worry about his quickness."

5. MENELIK WATSON, Florida State (6-5, 314, 5.29, 1-2) - Participated in basketball, soccer and boxing growing up in Manchester, England. Put in two years at a basketball academy in Spain before spending two years at Marist (N.Y.) College, where he averaged 4.7 points in the 2010-'11 season. Played football in '11 in junior college before spending six months in Tallahassee, where he started at RT and then declared a year early. "He's probably the best athlete of the bunch," one scout said. "For a guy his size I've never seen a guy with that much lateral ability, speed and explosive quickness. He is English born in the ghettos outside Manchester." Turned in a disappointing combine performance. Wonderlic of 20. "For a team to take him in the first (round) and say, 'We're going to throw you out there in Day One,' that's really unfair to that kid," another scout said. "He can bend, he's tough and competitive, and has great lower-body girth. But he's a nice lump of clay now." Will turn 25 in December. "He's got some ability but he scares the hell out of me," said a third scout. "He's not as athletic as people think. I don't think he's very tough. He doesn't play hard all the time. You got another bust."

6. TERRON ARMSTEAD, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (6-4 ½, 306, 4.71, 2) - Highly successful track athlete in the shot put and three-year starter at LT. "He all-star-gamed and combined his way onto the radar," said Savage. "Little bit of a tweener. When he was inside he wasn't real, real physical in being able to anchor down. Outside, he's fringe height and arm length (34) for a tackle." Blew out the combine in the vertical jump (34 ½), bench press (31 reps) and 40, bringing back memories of Raider bust Bruce Campbell. "It's all based on the workout," one scout said. "Terron Armstead played at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, for God's sakes. You just cannot take that guy high. There's no way." Wonderlic of 27. Played most of his senior year with a damaged shoulder. From Cahokia, Ill. "There's less of a chance of a bust with him than the Watson kid," another scout said. "Athletically, he's as good as anybody at that position. He's in great shape, and he's serious about football. He played well in the East-West and looked good in the Senior Bowl." One team has major reservations about his back.

7. DAVID BAKHTIARI, Colorado (6-4 ½, 301, 5.08, 2-3) - Fourth-year junior out of Burlingame, Calif. "He's long (34-inch arms) and he's tall and he doesn't get much movement," one scout said. "He is flexible. Doesn't know how to use his hands." Started at RT in 2010 and at LT in 2011-'12. "He could be real good at guard," another scout said. "He's got pretty good feet. He's tough. He's competitive. He jumps at things every once in a while but he has the movement to be pretty good." Smart and strong. "You see the good feet and balance," a third scout said. "He'll be a late second if you're a team looking for a finesse offensive lineman. If he can get up to 310, 315, you might like him at guard."

8. RICKY WAGNER, Wisconsin (6-6, 309, 5.17, 3) - Walked on as a TE in 2008, redshirted and moved to tackle. Started at RT in 2010 and at LT the past two years. "I like him as a right tackle," one scout said. "He is one tough guy. Reminds me of (Oakland LT) Jared Veldheer, but he's not athletic enough for left tackle. He's more of a technique-power player than a foot athlete. I like Wisconsin players." Fielded some Division I basketball offers out of West Allis Hale. "Talking to Bob Bostad, he likes him," another scout said, referring to the former UW O-line coach. "Right tackle only. Some people think he can play guard. I don't." Put up just 20 reps on the bench. Arms measured 34. "Didn't do real well in the Senior Bowl," a third scout said. "He'll be a starter. Look at the league. Are you kidding me?"

9. BRENNAN WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-5 ½, 314, 5.32, 3-4) - Three-year starter at RT. "Probably a good enough athlete to play left tackle," one scout said. "Really good on his feet. He tore up his shoulder at the end of the year, but if his shoulder's back he may go second round. Been around the game his whole life." Father, Brent, played DE for three teams from 1985-'95 and registered 45 ½ sacks. Described by scouts as "quirky," "kind of an oddball" and "real bright but real eccentric." Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He's not a football guy, OK?" one scout said. "He's not. I don't think he cares about football, and he uses the injury history as an excuse. This kid is destined for mediocrity." From West Roxbury, Mass.

10. ODAY ABOUSHI, Virginia (6-5 ½, 310, 5.45, 3-4) - Started 32 games at LT, five at RT. "He's got a bad body on him but he's real effective," one scout said. "He will start in the league. Pretty good technician. He kind of gets after it and roughs people up. He was well-liked there. The coaches say he's smart as hell and picks things up really easy." From Brooklyn, N.Y. Just 21 reps on the bench. "Not a big person," another scout said. "Upper body, arms, butt, thighs, calves, hips. He lacks strength and power. He's an athletic, finesse blocker."

OTHERS: Reid Fragel, Ohio State; Xavier Nixon, Florida; Emmett Cleary, Boston College; Jordan Mills, Louisiana Tech; Nick Becton, Virginia Tech; Vinston Painter, Virginia Tech; Rogers Gaines, Tennessee State; Braden Brown, Brigham Young; Chris Faulk, Louisiana State; Jamaal Johnson-Webb, Alabama A&M; Jordan Devey, Memphis; John Wetzel, Boston College; Oscar Johnson, Louisiana Tech; Luke Marquardt, Azusa Pacific.

GUARDS

1. JONATHAN COOPER, North Carolina (6-2, 308, 5.11, 1) - Ability to hit on the move has drawn comparisons to former Viking Randall McDaniel and former 49er Guy McIntrye. "Long arms (33), good power, good strength (35 reps on the bench) and good leverage," one scout said. "Unbelievable puller. Balance and body control. Tough guy. Smart guy (Wonderlic of 34). Great in the locker room. He does it all." Four-year starter at LG. Tried to play center two years ago but didn't snap accurately. "Problem is the guy played at 280, 285," another scout said. "But you watch him move, especially for a zone team, he will be right up their alley." Out of Wilmington, N.C., where he was a prep wrestler. "He has as good intangibles as any lineman in this draft," a third scout said. "Effort, toughness, desire, understanding. That tells me he might be a great center." Disappointing workout at the combine.

2. CHANCE WARMACK, Alabama (6-2, 319, 5.52, 1) - Three-year starter at LG. "He's one of those guys like Will Shields that will just sit in there and play until they retire him," one scout said. "Country boy from Georgia. He's kind of a road grader in the run game and a fire hydrant in the passing game. You're not going to move him off his spot. He's got long arms (34 ¾). He can play in a power scheme obviously, like Alabama has, or he could be a zone guy because he moves well enough. If he gets on you, you're done." Scouts say he has a problem with excessive sweating, at times requires IVs and tends to wear down in the fourth quarter. Graduated in December but scored just 9 on the Wonderlic, and teams appear split on his ability to think on his feet. "He's football smart," another scout said. "But you've got to put somebody (smart) next to him." Ran an awful 40 at the combine. "He can't play more than one position and you have to be careful in games what kind of adjustments you make," a third scout said. "He kind of reminds me of (Seattle's James) Carpenter. For me, a guard has to be perfect to take in the first round because how much difference is there in that guy and a guy you take in the fourth round? I know everybody loves him, but he scares the hell out of me."

3. JUSTIN PUGH, Syracuse (6-4 ½, 304, 5.15, 1-2) - Three-year starter at LT. "He is short-armed (32), and he does play short-armed," one scout said. "Everybody wants to make him a guard because of that. That's fine. Maybe. I like bigger, thicker guys at guard. I'll make him a center. I was thinking about guys like Max Unger or Trey Teague, somebody that made the tackle-to-center switch. You can get away with shorter arms and less mass at center." Graduated with a degree in finance in 3 ½ years. "One of the smartest guys I've (scouted) in 12 years," another scout said. "Like a coach on the field." From Holland, Pa. Played in a pro-style offense. "He came into our room at Indy and told us he was a left tackle, which I'm sure his agent told him to say because they make the most money," a third scout said. "He doesn't have the feet to play out on an island. He is ornery. Good technician. He's high intangibles. He bends well enough. He's a second- or third-round guy that will be a solid player for a long time."

4. KYLE LONG, Oregon (6-6, 312, 4.96, 1-2) - Hall of Famer Howie is his father. Chris, his older brother, is a Rams DE. "If his last name was Smith he wouldn't be getting all this publicity as a first-round pick," one scout said. "He'd be just kind of a middle-of-the-road plugger guy inside. He's getting a little overhyped." Went to Florida State in 2008 as a fire-balling, left-handed pitcher. Didn't attend college in '09 and admitted at the combine to "chemical dependency." Returned to football as a LT at a California junior college in 2011 and then played 11 games for Oregon in '12, starting the final five at LG. "He has been arrested, been in rehab and is supposedly clean, supposedly been two years since he took drugs," another scout said. "He could be a first-rounder athletically, but it's just all the baggage off the field. The only thing that's a saving grace for the guy is everybody knows his dad. And they're going to think, 'OK, he's Howie's son. I can trust him. I know these people.' But can you ever really trust?" Will be 25 in December. Out of Charlottesville, Va. Huge hands (11) but ordinary arm length (33 3/8). Wonderlic of 29. "I think he's a tackle, a really good athlete," a third scout said. "Needs to get stronger. He doesn't have the power that his dad does. He's a better pure athlete."

5. BRIAN WINTERS, Kent State (6-3 ½, 315, 5.28, 2) - Started all four years (34 games at LT, 16 at RT). "He'll be a guard," one scout said. "Little stiff but a strong, tough guy. Not the smartest guy. Guards like him start in the NFL." Arm length (32 ¾) better suited for inside. "He was a dominant player at Kent State," another scout said. "I just liked his temperament. He doesn't have Chance (Warmack's) talent, but this is the kind of guy that plays. I like his strength, power and aggressiveness, and he's a special person." Home is Hudson, Ohio.

6. LARRY WARFORD, Kentucky (6-3, 329, 5.59, 2-3) - Three-year starter at RG. "He's a road grader," one scout said. "Great, big, massive guy. He blocked the big guy (John Jenkins) from Georgia to death. A three-technique is not going to knock him back. His problem is once he gets in space. He doesn't have a lot of lateral quickness." Will become the Wildcats' first O-lineman drafted since G Todd Perry and T Chuck Bradley in 1993. "He does not test well, but he can anchor the pocket," another scout said. "He's got the bulk and the girth to get his hands on people, sit his weight down and control people in the pass rush. Little bit sloppy as a run blocker. Played on a real bad team. He's a potential starter early." From Richmond, Ky. "His feet are so slow," a third scout said. "That bugs me."

7. DALLAS THOMAS, Tennessee (6-5 ½, 306, 5.25, 3) - Started at LT for two years before taking over at LG to accommodate underclassman Antonio Richardson outside. "He's really a footwork kind of guy," one scout said. "His demeanor is more that of a left tackle but then his short arms (33 1/8) kind of come into play. He's a tweener in some regards because he's not really a punch you in the mouth, move people off the ball kind of guy. Great body. Maybe he's a more ideal center if you could ever do that." Several teams are concerned about his mental aptitude. Underwent shoulder surgery in January to repair labrum damage. "He's got natural ability," another scout said. "Movement, feet, all that. It's the learning, and he needs to get a little tougher and more physical." From Baton Rouge, La.

8. HUGH THORNTON, Illinois (6-3, 322, 5.13, 3-4) - When Thornton's name is brought up, almost every scout mentions the 2004 tragedy in Jamaica when his mother and sister were murdered in their home while he slept in another room. "His issues stem from what's inside his soul," one scout said. "He's got a lot of anger in him. I think that still affects him." Outstanding prep wrestler for three years in Idaho before graduating from high school in Oberlin, Ohio. "Can he overcome the emotional issues?" said another scout. "He's got the most horrible family background I've ever heard in my life. That's what people are going to worry about. He's tougher than (expletive)." Started for two years at guard and for 1 ½ years at tackle. Frequently in trouble off the field. "He's had a rough background and some mental issues, but he's a good player," a third scout said. "Tough as hell. Decent enough athlete."

9. DAVID QUESSENBERRY, San Jose State (6-5, 303, 5.08, 3-4) - Walked on, redshirted, backed up at TE and then started at LT for three years. Knows he'll move inside and is practicing at center, too. "He has pretty good feet and is a pretty good technician," one scout said. "He's undersized. He presents good value. He has a chance to get some starting time." Intelligence (27 on the Wonderlic) will help him become a five-position backup. "He had no strength or power in his body," another scout said. "He's got a basketball build with narrow hips and high cut." Out of Carlsbad, Calif.

10. EARL WATFORD, James Madison (6-3 ½, 301, 5.07, 4) - Led guards in the vertical jump (30) and has 34-inch arms. "Like the way he plays - sort of like Cooper," one scout said. "He looks small and plays small, but he's athletic." Three-year starter at guard, but one scout doubted he had the moxie to run a line from center. "The weight is always going to be an issue," another scout said. "He was in the 280s last spring. He was 304 at the East-West Game but he might have had a 10-pound weight taped under his shorts. He's not going to be a big man. He's an athletic, zone-blocking, developmental starter/reserve. But he's got a tremendous amount of physical up side." From Philadelphia.

OTHERS: J.C. Tretter, Cornell; Alvin Bailey, Arkansas; Eric Herman, Ohio; Edmund Kugbila, Valdosta State (Ga.); Stephane Milhim, Massachusetts; Travis Bond, North Carolina; Garrett Gilkey, Chadron State (Neb.); Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas; Lamar Mady, Youngstown State; Chris McDonald, Michigan State.

CENTERS

1. TRAVIS FREDERICK, Wisconsin (6-3 ½, 316, 5.56, 2) - Fourth-year junior with 18 starts at center and 13 at LG. "I'm enthralled with him," one scout said. "He's a first-rounder to me. If people don't like him they're crazy. He's better than (Peter) Konz and (Kevin) Zeitler from last year. He was the best offensive lineman Wisconsin had in 2011. He's a bull. Smart. He's better than (David) DeCastro." Worked out poorly at the combine, including merely 21 reps on the bench. "He's just a bad athlete . . . surprisingly bad," another scout said. "Usually those Wisconsin guys aren't top-flight, but he just doesn't move very well. Great (intelligence), effort, the whole deal." Graduated from Walworth Big Foot High school, from Sharon, Wis. "I'd take him in the third or fourth round," said a third scout, adding that the terrible 40 time had no bearing on his grade. "I didn't think he was a very good athlete. He's a great leader. Tough as nails. But I don't think he can play center and guard at a rate that makes me feel he will become a starter any time soon."

2. BRIAN SCHWENKE, California (6-3, 323, 4.98, 3) - Just another common guard in 2010-'11 before moving to center in '12 and taking off. "He had no combine grade, like a low free agent, when the season started," one scout said. "But he got better and better as the year went on. Really a tough guy. He's got an upside because he hasn't played a lot of center. He wasn't a great shotgun snapper. That was a little bit of a problem." Led centers on the bench press (31 reps) and excelled on the Wonderlic (31), too. "He's an ugly body who plays hard," another scout said. From Oceanside, Calif. "His Senior Bowl week was very impressive," Savage said. "Looked there like a third- or fourth-round center. He plays with quickness. He's got good hands and a good, tough demeanor. Really has a grasp how to play."

3. BARRETT JONES, Alabama (6-4 ½, 308, 5.44, 3-4) - Started at RG in 2009 and '10, LT in '11 and center in '12. "If you ever say anything bad about Barrett Jones, Nick Saban will hunt you down," one scout said. "That is his favorite all-time player. You can't help but like him. He's graduated already with his masters. When they told him he had to go from left tackle to center he didn't say boo. He plays hurt. He will play forever in the NFL if he wants to and when he retires he goes to run for governor of Alabama because he's so popular there. He's just a great athlete." Can't run a lick and coming off Lisfranc ligament surgery in January. "People in that league just take him and march him right back to the quarterback," said another scout. "He's pretty good to the second level . . . but he has no strength or power." Will need the right type of NFL O-line coach because he can be a know-it-all. Scored 35 on the Wonderlic. "He can play all five spots," a third scout said. "I can see that guy playing in the league for a long time and certainly be a functional player." From Germantown, Tenn.

4. JEFF BACA, UCLA (6-3 ½, 299, 5.02, 3-4) - A four-year regular with 19 starts at LT, 13 at LG and 12 at RT. "But he probably is a center," one scout said. "He's more of a finesse-position-steer-you guy." Plenty smart enough (Wonderlic of 34) to run the show inside. "Quick out of his stance," said another scout. "Best in a zone-blocking scheme. Good second-level blocker." From Mission Viejo, Calif. "He's not very strong," a third scout said. "He's not very athletic. Try-hard guy. Can play a couple positions, and those type of guys usually end up hanging around."

5. KHALED HOLMES, Southern California (6-3 ½, 302, 5.35, 4-5) - Started at RG as a sophomore and at center the past two years. "Good technique, bad body," one scout said. "Not overly strong, but good with his hands and his feet and positioning. He wins that way. You don't win as much on our level without some kind of strength, bulk and anchor. He is missing some of that." Long-armed (35) but lacks upper-body pop. From Santa Ana, Calif. "I thought he could run, but he ran, like, 5.4 the other day," another scout said. "I don't think he really cares that much. He's got no pizzazz to him. Sixth round."

OTHERS: Braxston Cave, Notre Dame; Eric Kush, California (Pa.); P.J. Lonergan, Louisiana State; Matt Stankiewitch, Penn State; Joe Madsen, West Virginia; T.J. Johnson, South Carolina; James Ferentz, Iowa.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Quarterback

April 19, 2013

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top quarterbacks in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

QUARTERBACKS

1. GENO SMITH, West Virginia (6-2½, 217, 4.58, 1-2) - Started for three seasons, including the last two in coach Dana Holgorsen's "Air Raid" attack that featured simplistic reads. "He can throw the wide-field out," one scout said. "He's got the arm strength. His accuracy is good enough. He uses his legs more to get out of trouble (than) to make plays." Posted an NFL passer rating of 107.8, including 117.5 as a senior. "I liked him early when he was destroying everybody," another scout said. "Then in the bowl game against Syracuse he just didn't do it for me. There just was nothing about the way he carried himself or commanded that game that led me to believe he was a franchise quarterback. Once they started playing some better teams he kind of got exposed." Stands in the pocket, but has the bad habit of bouncing half a dozen times or more before releasing the ball. "There's no way he can bounce eight times in the NFL," one scout said. "That will never happen. He plays with a significant amount of knee bend. He plays shorter than he measures. He's in the shotgun almost exclusively." Scored 24 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Out of Miami Miramar High. Has a strong affinity for the arts. "Good athlete, strong arm, throwing motion is fine," another scout said. "But nothing clicks from his brain to the release. He just isn't quick enough. It's like a deer in the headlights. He's late reading. And a lot of throws he made at West Virginia, those guys are wide open. I've watched his demeanor on the sideline. He's by himself a lot. I don't think he's a good leader. One of his teammates said he definitely wasn't a leader. I would put him as a bust." Has small hands (9¼), fumbled 32 times.

2. MATT BARKLEY, Southern California (6-2½, 231, 4.92, 1-2) - Posted a 34-13 record as a four-year starter. "Smith is more talented but Barkley's more consistent," one scout said. "Barkley is an adequate athlete. I think he's very confident, composed, efficient. Technically, he's very, very sound. Plus, he's just a great person to talk to. He's like an Alex Smith, like a Tim Tebow. When they walk in a room, the room lights up. He's a natural leader." Finished with a career passer rating of 100.3, including 115.2 in 2011 and 105.2 in '12. "The expectations were not correct this year," the scout said. "The offensive line was the worst group during his time there. They picked them to win the national championship based on him and the two wide receivers. I thought he did one heck of a job." Big hands (10 1/8) but short arms (30 5/8). Wonderlic of 30. "He's not quite as good as Andy Dalton," another scout said. "Dalton eludes better, has a little quicker mind and better command of the football when he throws it." From Newport Beach, Calif. Self-described "football junkie." Said a third scout: "I didn't see the greatness they talk about but there's a lot to like. People tend to be hypercritical of him. When Green Bay took (Aaron) Rodgers would be the perfect spot for Barkley." Arm strength is considered average.

3. E.J. MANUEL, Florida State (6-4½, 238, 4.62, 1-2) - Failed to beat out Christian Ponder in 2009-'10 before starting his last two seasons. Record was 25-6. "He might be the mystery quarterback that goes in the first round," said Phil Savage, Senior Bowl executive director and former personnel man for the Ravens and Browns. "He's got a winning personality and was the face of that program for two years. He has been coached hard by Jimbo Fisher and can handle it." Finished with passer rating of 98.2. "He's a better thrower than people give him credit for," another scout said. "He's just so big. His shoulders are so big he looks awkward, but he's got a really strong arm. I love him." Best vertical jump (34 inches) and biggest hands (10 3/8) among the QBs. Wonderlic of 28. "I don't think he's a good passer," a third scout said. "He's never been consistent. Strong arm, tight ball, three-quarters delivery, compact motion, good release, wrist snap, pocket movement. More of a slinger. Indecisive. Throws off back foot frequently. He never led them to what they expected. He never won big games. He couldn't beat Florida." Hails from Virginia Beach, Va. "There's nothing natural about him," a fourth scout said. "No vision. No feel."

4. RYAN NASSIB, Syracuse (6-2, 228, 4.98, 2-3) - Led the leading QBs on the Wonderlic with 41. "Smartest guy we've interviewed in a long, long time," one scout said. "He knocked it out of the park. He has a better arm and delivery than Barkley. He reminds me of Matt Schaub a lot. Smart and efficient. Boots, waggles, play-action. He can't run. He won't beat you scrambling." Compiled a 21-17 record for the heretofore lowly Orange and a passer rating of 90.4. "He really improved during the year," another scout said. "Thing that bothers me, he seems to throw a heavy ball. He throws with the same touch no matter what the route is. I like the arm strength and decision-making. Decent athlete." Hails from West Chester, Pa. "He's a by-the-numbers guy," a third scout said. "If the first thing isn't open and there's pressure, he panics. For a guy who is as smart as he is, that has as much character, he is what I call panicky. He won't panic into a turnover; I'll give him credit that way. Fantastic kid, which I think people are letting trump his ability. He's a slow-footed guy. OK arm. It's not even like your second-tier NFL arms."

5. MIKE GLENNON, North Carolina State (6-7, 222, 4.99, 2-3) - Several scouts said he has the best arm in the draft. "If he goes to a team that does a lot of play-action and throws the ball down the field, he's got a chance to maybe be something," one scout said. "He is the antithesis of where the league appears to be going because he's (6-7) and is a classic drop-back passer. He played in a pro-style system with pro-style reads and pro-style coaching with Dana Bible. And I don't think he is a statue or stuck in the mud." Other scouts most assuredly do. "I think he's Ichabod Crane," another scout said. "He's a statue but he throws a nice ball. He has no foot skills." Said a third scout: "I was shocked he could run as fast as he did. But he's a statue." Already owns a master's degree and scored 26 on the Wonderlic. Passer rating of 88.9 and 15-11 record. "Locks onto receivers, forces balls into tight windows, inconsistent touch," a fourth scout said. "His strength is his arm." Home is Centreville, Va.

6. LANDRY JONES, Oklahoma (6-4, 225, 5.09, 3-4) - "Erratic" was a scout's one-word summation of Jones, whose finest season was 2010. "He has some up side," said another scout. "I wish he was more athletic." Compiled a 39-11 record and passer rating of 95.7. "I don't think he's as good as (Brandon) Weeden from last year and Weeden isn't good enough," a third scout said. "I don't question his arm strength. He just didn't take them to the other level. He has as much talent as any of them. He's not a real speedy guy but he knows how to get out of the way." Highly inconsistent, especially in key moments late in games. Married. Wonderlic of 28. Hails from Artesia, N.M., where he led his team to two state championships.

7. TYLER WILSON, Arkansas (6-2, 215, 4.98, 4-5) - Much better in 2011 under coach Bobby Petrino (102.0 passer rating) than he was in 2012 under coach John L. Smith (93.0). Career rating was 95.2. "I thought he was awful this year, I really did," one scout said. "Very average arm. He has to be surrounded with (good) people." Backed up Ryan Mallett and then started for two years, going 15-9. "You have to go back and watch 2011 tape because their season this year was a total disaster from Day 1," another scout said. "I thought Petrino had this guy playing very, very well. Like his quickness, movement, accuracy. He was a very proficient passer. OK athlete." Hails from Greenwood, Ark. Wonderlic of 20. "He's off size and isn't going to make anything happen on his own," a third scout said. "He's a facilitator, not a real bell-cow guy."

8. TYLER BRAY, Tennessee (6-6, 229, 5.07, 4-5) - Third-year junior with a 13-11 record. "His arm is excellent, he's not afraid of being wrong and he lets 'em go," one scout said. "His accuracy is good. He'll spray, and some of it is because he's casual. He doesn't worry about his feet all the time. He'll throw the one where the coach will go crazy. Limited athletically. He's a pocket passer. Has a bad reputation as far as work habits. He's going to want to be coached, and somebody has to coach him. If he has the disposition to want to do it, somebody will turn him into something pretty good." A few clubs won't even consider Bray because of off-field transgressions. "Nightmare off the field," another scout said. "He's constantly getting in trouble for stupid (expletive). There's just a lot of things not to like about this guy." Passer rating was 96.8 and Wonderlic score was 24. "He's got great arm talent, but the more I watched I'm, like, 'Holy (expletive), all he does is just throw the ball up there,' " a third scout said. "He just slings it. He's immature." Hails from Kingsburg, Calif.

9. MATT SCOTT, Arizona (6-2, 212, 4.65, 5) - Benched early in 2010 in favor of Nick Foles. Redshirted in 2011 and came back to flourish in coach Rich Rodriguez' read-option offense. "Very interesting guy - he's like a (Colin) Kaepernick," one scout said. "Not as big and doesn't have as strong an arm. Really came on this year. He's a very, very talented athlete." Finished with an 11-6 record and passer rating of 88.1. Wonderlic of 22. "Low release, lot of tipped balls, raw, OK smarts and leadership," another scout said. "He's had a bunch of concussions, which is a little scary. Three this year. But he's kind of gaining steam." From Corona, Calif. "Highly inconsistent as a decision-maker," a third scout said. "But throwing the ball, he has up side."

10. ZAC DYSERT, Miami (Ohio) (6-3, 227, 4.81, 5-6) - Four-sport athlete in Ada, Ohio, and hockey was his first love. Compiled a passer rating of 87.0 and a record of 15-28. "He can make all the throws," one scout said. "Pretty smart kid (Wonderlic of 24). He's a little goofy just watching his mannerisms. Long-haired, almost a skateboarder kind of guy." Broke Ben Roethlisberger's school record for passing yards with 12,013. "He doesn't have a great arm," another scout said. "Played on a bad team. I mean, he was on the move constantly." According to one scout, he has a shoulder injury that could affect his draft status.

OTHERS: Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah; Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbilt; James Vandenberg, Iowa; Sean Renfree, Duke; Collin Klein, Kansas State; Jeff Tuel, Washington State; Dayne Crist, Kansas; Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech; Alex Carder, Western Michigan.

D

Deuce

Wilson, Bray and Renfree might all be had in the 5th or later. Ill take a chance on any of them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilson, Bray and Renfree might all be had in the 5th or later. Ill take a chance on any of them.
I don't think I have seen anyone expecting Wilson to still be there in the fifth round but you never know. There will be some players left in the fifth round that no one today expects to still be there. We don't currently have a third string QB, and I'd love to get one of the guys that I feel has a little bit of potential. You just named a few that I would really like to see in Dallas with a fifth, sixth, or seventh round pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Running backs

April 20, 2013

1. EDDIE LACY, Alabama (5-11, 229, 4.58, 1) - Fourth-year junior backed up Mark Ingram in 2010 and Trent Richardson in '11 before splitting carries with freshman T.J. Yeldon last season. "There's really not a ton of difference between him and Richardson," one scout said. "He runs more violently, actually. He's a big back. I like that. He hits the hole fast. He's a pro running back." Finished with 1,322 yards in '12 compared to 1,108 for Yeldon. "Can he be the lead guy in a committee? Sure," another scout said. "Can he be the solo back like Adrian Peterson? I wouldn't bank on it. He may have as much ability as Ingram and Richardson. However, he's been nicked up virtually the whole time he was there. He had a toe that required surgery, he had a hand, an elbow and now the hamstring. The last vision people have of Lacy is jump, bend, twist, spin, explode and (Notre Dame MLB Manti) Te'o grabbing air. If you could evaluate him in the vacuum of the Georgia and Notre Dame games, then he's a first-round pick." Three-year stats include 355 rushes for 2,402 yards (6.8 average) and 35 receptions for 338 (9.7). Scored 17 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Out of Geismar, La. "He'll be good but he probably won't be great just because he doesn't have that speed," a third scout said. "He's punishing. He just doesn't have that dynamic skill set. A lot of big backs don't. That's what he is: He's a big power guy."

2. MONTEE BALL, Wisconsin (5-10½, 214, 4.58, 2) - Record-setting back started the final 32 games of his 49-game career. "I know one thing - he's productive," one scout said. "I'd rather have a guy that scores touchdowns than one that doesn't and runs 4.5." His pedestrian 40 times prompted another scout to label him as a "pounder, a plodder." Finished with 924 carries for 5,140 yards (5.6) and 77 TDs. Also caught 59 passes for 598 (10.1) and six TDs, giving him an NCAA-record 83 scores. "I like him but he's got a lot of carries in his body," the scout said. "He's had a concussion, and a subsequent concussion. And I'm not totally sure what kind of kid he is." Was cited for trespassing in May 2012 and then was assaulted on a Madison street late at night. "Some people have high grades on him and I'm like, 'What are you thinking about?' " another scout said. "How many big plays do you get out of those guys? He's probably not going to get a lot of big plays because he lacks speed. But he's got some lower-body strength and run vision. Instinctive kid. I can see him in the rotation, not as the starter." Hails from Wentzville, Mo.

3. LE'VEON BELL, Michigan State (6-1½, 229, 4.57, 2-3) - Third-year junior. "I like his size and athletic ability," Tennessee scout Johnny Meads said. "He doesn't run as hard as you want him to for his size but he makes up for it with his agility and smoothness for a big man." Led the nation with 382 carries in '12 when the Spartans' passing game fizzled. "Has a chance to be a pounder," one scout said. "He catches the ball a little better than Lacy. Got a little better speed but not quite as good balance. He's got the makings of a No. 1 back." Hails from Columbus, Ohio. Finished with 671 carries for 3,346 yards (5.0) and 78 receptions for 531 (6.8). "He danced too much sometimes, but the more I watched him I saw he has some natural run skills that I don't know if you can coach or not," another scout said. "He can move people. He can get a linebacker to step the wrong way. For his size, he wasn't a physical runner, but as we know physical runners don't last. He played on a team that wasn't very good so defenses could play to him, and he still made yards."

4. GIOVANI BERNARD, North Carolina (5-8½, 203, 4.52, 2-3) - Third-year sophomore who didn't play in 2010 after blowing out his knee in August. "He's a tricky little dude," one scout said. "He runs hard, too. Breaks tackles for a little guy because he's all knees and pads. Catches it good." Came back from the ACL injury to rush for 2,481 yards (5.9) and catch 92 passes for 852 (9.3). "I think he goes down too easy but, boy, he's got some shake and bake now," another scout said. "He lacks power. He's a 15-carry-a-game guy." Scored the highest (25) of the RBs on the Wonderlic. Not as good as Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew, according to another scout. "He's a little bit like (C.J.) Spiller in that he's a slippery back," a fourth scout said. "He has good contact balance. He is tough and he does run inside. Is he a first-rounder? No." From Davie, Fla.

5. JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN, UCLA (5-10, 200, 4.50, 3) - Came out of South Central L.A. to break Gaston Green's school record with 4,403 yards (5.6) in 788 carries. His goal is to become mayor of Los Angeles. "What a great kid," said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl and former Browns GM. "He's a team player. There's no downside to taking him on your team. I really like him as a role contributor." Runs hard for his size. "Good little back," one scout said. "He's small and slow. You like the vision and run instincts and production. But he's not a starter." Also caught 58 passes for 517 (8.9). "Nice little player," said another scout. "Not overly fast. He's just got great vision and just makes yards. Understands angles. Plays hard."

6. ANDRE ELLINGTON, Clemson (5-9½, 196, 4.45, 3-4) - Took over for Spiller in 2010. "He's really fast," one scout said. "He's improved a lot catching the ball. He's a big-play threat no matter where he is on the field. The durability has to check out on Ellington, but you can say that about most of these running backs." Battled injures year after year. "He's a speed guy that can give you a home run or two and do some things on special teams," said another scout. Hails from Moncks Corner, S.C. Finished with 621 carries for 3,436 yards (5.5) and 59 catches for 505 (8.6). "Good player, but not a special player," a third scout said. "I question his pass blocking."

7. CHRISTINE MICHAEL, Texas A&M (5-10, 215, 4.47, 3-4) - Led all RBs in vertical jump (43 inches) and broad jump (10-5). "He's a stud," one scout said. "If you took character out of the equation I'd take him over Ball. Very, very talented player. There's a lot of similarity between him and (Baltimore's Bernard) Pierce." Suffered a torn ACL in Game 9 of 2011 and was suspended for Game 3 of 2012 by coach Kevin Sumlin, who replaced Mike Sherman. Didn't play much after that. "This guy looks like a Greek god," Savage said. "The question will be the reliability off the field." Finished with 529 carries for 2,791 yards (5.3) and 44 catches for 323 (7.3). Out of Beaumont, Texas. First name is pronounced "Kristin." Wonderlic of 11. "Kind of a malcontent," another scout said. "He didn't get along with the new staff. I guess maybe he's turned that around. Who knows? He's got upside."

8. KENJON BARNER, Oregon (5-9, 194, 4.43, 4) - Replaced LaMichael James last season and rushed for 1,767 yards. "Most people wonder, 'Is he LaMichael James?' " one scout said. "That kind of speed, yes, but LaMichael had better ability to make people miss and was a little tougher as well. Barner takes bigger hits than you need to take, especially when you're an undersized back like that." Finished with 582 carries for 3,623 yards (6.2) and 54 catches for 591 (10.9). "That whole system really helps those guys," said another scout. "You're so scared of the offense you lose sight of the backs. He's a good inside runner. Quick starter. Speed to the corner." From Riverside, Calif.

9. STEPFAN TAYLOR, Stanford (5-9, 213, 4.71, 4-5) - Surpassed 1,000 yards three years in a row, giving him 4,300 yards in 843 carries (5.1). "I like him because he's so consistent," one scout said. "He's never missed. The all-time leading rusher at Stanford." Sells out against the blitz, often stopping pass rushers cold. Just not very fast or athletic. "He is kind of a poor man's Lacy," another scout said. "He's better in the receiving game than Lacy but doesn't quite have the initial quickness and make-miss that Lacy has." Caught 97 passes for 778 (8.0). Flashes ability to elude tacklers in close quarters. Hails from Mansfield, Texas.

10. MARCUS LATTIMORE, South Carolina (5-11, 219, 4.65, 4-5) - Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier called him the most popular player in team history. It's probably because he never felt sorry for himself after suffering a torn left ACL in mid-2011 and then three torn ligaments and a dislocated right kneecap Oct. 27 last season. "I've had trainers tell me he's so far away," one scout said. "One told me he's not going to make it back ever. Others say he'll get back to a certain level. It's a tough repair and a tough rehab." Rushed for 1,197 yards as a true freshman in 2010. "He wasn't a real talent or anything," another scout said. "He's a 4.7. He was good because he's smart (Wonderlic of 18), understands the (game) and is a great kid. He would have found a way to make yards in the league." Finished with 2,677 yards (4.8) in 555 carries and 74 catches for 767 (10.4). Out of Duncan, S.C. "I think the world of the kid," a third scout said. "It will all come down to the doctors."

11. JOSEPH RANDLE, Oklahoma State (5-10, 203, 4.69, 4-5) - Third-year junior. "He's more a straight-line, downhill runner," one scout said. "And he's not a real big back to do stuff like that." Rushed 564 times for 3,085 yards (5.5) and caught 108 passes for 917 (8.5). Regarded as a character risk by some teams. "Not a great kid but a pretty good runner," another scout said. "He runs tough and he can make you miss. He made (Texas FS) Kenny Vaccaro look like an idiot in the open field. Plays faster than his 4.6." Hails from Wichita, Kan.

12. KNILE DAVIS, Arkansas (5-11½, 224, 4.38, 4-5) - Third-year junior. Led the Southeastern Conference in rushing as a freshman with 1,322 yards before suffering a broken ankle in August 2011 and missing the season. Fumbled eight times early in 2012 and had a terrible year (112 carries, 377 yards, 3.4) in limited action. "He's so soft and timid," one scout said. "I've never seen a guy fumble like him where people just breathe on him and he drops the ball. Doesn't play to that timed speed at all. You think injuries have taken their toll, but he can still run fast so it's nothing to do with being injury. On the field he just doesn't have it." Marvelous combine workout included RB-leading 31 reps on the bench press. Hails from Missouri City, Texas, and is well-acquainted with Green Bay executive Alonzo Highsmith, who lived there until last year. "He has a chance to be a better pro than college player," another scout said. "He had flashes in college but just couldn't stay healthy."

OTHERS: Spencer Ware, Louisiana State; Mike Gilleslee, Florida; Rex Burkhead, Nebraska; Kerwynn Williams, Utah State; Mike James, Miami; Cierre Wood, Notre Dame; Theo Riddick, Notre Dame; Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt; Michael Ford, Louisiana State; Miguel Maysonet, Stony Brook; Jawan Jamison, Rutgers; Onterio McCalebb, Auburn.

FULLBACKS

1. KYLE JUSZCZYK, Harvard (6-1½, 248, 4.72, 4-5) - Stands a chance to be the first player drafted this year that wasn't invited to the combine. "He played more tight end and flex tight end there," one scout said. "But you watch him at the Senior Bowl and it was like he's played fullback his whole life. He is not going to be your Lorenzo Neal who decapitates you at the point. But he is really athletic, has great hands and good run skills. He is a MAC (Mid-American Conference) player that was smart enough to get into Harvard. He will clean the toilet if you want him to." Just three career carries but caught 125 passes for 1,576 yards (12.6). Out of Medina, Ohio. Wonderlic of 31. "Ideal West Coast fullback," Savage said.

2. ZACH LINE, Southern Methodist (6-0½, 231, 4.77, 5-6) - Featured back with three 1,000-yard seasons. "When he gets in a camp you're not going to run him off because he won't let you," Tennessee scouting supervisor C.O. Brocato said. "Nothing great about the guy. He's just a good football player. I like his toughs. Just an everyday player. He runs hard. He blocks. Not a speed guy." Finished with 778 carries for 4,185 yards (5.4) and 75 catches for 599 (8.0). "Not really a true fullback," another scout said. "He's going to be a bigger No. 1 running back and short-yardage guy." From Oxford, Mich.

3. LONNIE PRYOR, Florida State (5-11½, 225, 4.67, 6) - Played mostly fullback but looked good at tailback down the stretch last season. "If you watch the bowl game (Orange Bowl) he had two 60-yard runs where he beat angles," one scout said. "Big butt, bubble thighs, good calves, so he's not going to be able to get much bigger. Heck of a lead blocker but I don't know if he'll ever be big enough." Learning doesn't come easily. Finished with 124 carries for 718 yards (5.8) and 41 catches for 379 (9.2). Hails from Okeechobee, Fla.

OTHERS: Tommy Bohanon, Wake Forest; Zach Boren, Ohio State; Braden Wilson, Kansas State; Alex Debniak, Stanford; Darius Taylor, Sam Houston State

Carp

DCC 4Life
Randle seems to be sliding more and more every day.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rating the NFL draft prospects: Defensive linemen

April 21, 2013

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top defensive linemen in the draft this week.

Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. ZIGGY ANSAH, Brigham Young (6-5, 272, 4.63, 1) - Will turn 24 in May. Born and raised in Ghana, he made two unsuccessful attempts to walk on to the BYU basketball team and joined the track team (200 meters in 21.89 seconds). Went out for football in 2010, making merely 10 tackles in first two seasons. Started the final nine games of '12 and had 4½ sacks. "This guy is a really interesting case," Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff said. "The combination of size, athleticism, natural skills to get up field and turn the corner is off the charts." Finished with 72 tackles (13 for loss) and the 4½ sacks. "I think he has the most upside of anyone in the draft," said Phil Savage, the executive director of the Senior Bowl, where Ansah had a great game. "He's a little more sturdy than (Jason) Pierre-Paul was coming out because he's had some experience playing inside. I don't see him as a 3-4 outside backer as some people might project. He's a 4-3 end that you just line up and let him go." For now, he might be a better pass rusher inside. "He plays hard - that's his saving grace," one scout said. "You also see things that aren't instinctive. If he manages to get past the adjustment period and just learns the game, he's got a chance to be a decent player. But if the game is too fast for him he could be a little lost soul out there." Long arms (35 1/8 inches).

2. DATONE JONES, UCLA (6-4, 277, 4.80, 1-2) - Might be a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 DE or a 4-3 three-technique. "He's a strong, powerful, athletic guy," one scout said. "Not a top-flight edge rusher. Pretty productive. He's not always consistent, but he's got a lot of upside." Four-year starter with 148 tackles (36½ for loss) and 13½ sacks. "Better inside pass rusher than outside pass rusher," another scout said. "Still needs to use his hands better." From Compton, Calif. Well-built with fairly short arms (32¾). "He's a boom or bust guy," a third scout said. "Really talented, makes like a great play and then you won't see him for a couple quarters. Quick off the ball, good club move, good pad level. But he danced too much and wasn't a consistent shedder. He'd get tied up with guys, and that bothered me a lot. More avoid than take-on. More of an athlete than a power guy."

3. BJOERN WERNER, Florida State (6-3½, 261, 4.83, 1-2) - German exchange student from Berlin who played high school ball for two years in Salisbury, Conn., before starting 27 of 41 games during his three years in Tallahassee. "Plays faster than his 40 time," one scout said. "Better pass rusher than he is playing the run. Very high motor. Smart kid. Not a lot of football background but a solid pick. He just never will be special." Finished with 99 tackles (35 for loss) and 23½ sacks. First All-American DE at FSU since Jamal Reynolds in 2000. "You'd like to have him but he's not special, by any means," another scout said. "It's weird. Sometimes he (hustles), sometimes he just stands around and watches. He doesn't give it to you full time." Often beats people by anticipating the snap count. Some teams see him playing OLB in a 3-4. "He bothers me because of the stiffness," a third scout said. "He gets up the field well but he doesn't bend well at the corner. Once offensive linemen get to know him a little bit they just ride him on by. I thought he was very average against the run. He has some hip tightness and must gather to change direction."

4. TANK CARRADINE, Florida State (6-4, 273, 4.75, 2) - Amassed 26 sacks in two junior-college seasons before joining Seminoles. "That's my guy," one scout said. "I swear, he can play the run and rush the passer pretty damn good. He's a little stiff but he's strong as hell. Really good motor. Loves football. I think he might be able to be an outside backer. Yeah, he could drop." Played RE, starting 11 of 25 games and tallying 118 tackles (21 for loss) and 16½ sacks. "He's tough, strong, physical, disruptive," another scout said. "He's the best pass rusher in the draft." Injured his knee Nov. 24 but was so far advanced from Dec. 6 surgery that he worked out well Saturday in Cincinnati, where he attended Taft High School. "I know where that kid is from," a third scout said. "He's from the roughest part of Cincinnati, Ohio. Taft High School. It is a war zone. He's got some rough edges around him but I kind of like that, to be honest with you. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but with some good coaching he can turn into a good one."

5. MARGUS HUNT, Southern Methodist (6-8, 282, 4.60, 2) - "He's got one knack: being a pass rusher," Tennessee national scouting supervisor C.O. Brocato said. "And he's beginning to play the run. I think he's going to be a premier pass rusher. Most 6-8 guys are kind of gawky and can't move. This guy is kind of fluid. He's better outside the tackle." From Estonia, where he was a world-class weightman in track. Enrolled at SMU, which then dropped track and field. Walked on for football in 2009, blocked seven of his career total of 17 kicks (one short of the NCAA record) and became a starter at RE. Turned in a blistering 40, 38 reps on the bench press, 34½-inch vertical jump and 10-1 broad jump at the combine. "There are 20 people on this earth that can do what he did at the combine," said Savage. "Does it translate to football? Only time will tell. When he has some distance between him and the tackle, like when he's a 4-3 end, that's where he actually showed a little more." Finished with 112 tackles (28 for loss) and 16½ sacks. Fooled a lot by misdirection. Will be a 26-year-old rookie. "Looks great on paper," another scout said. "Lacks innate football ability. He plays high. Gets knocked around some. Production comes and goes. There are things to question here."

6. SAM MONTGOMERY, Louisiana State (6-3½, 259, 4.80, 2-3) - One of the smartest of the D-linemen (24 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test). "A 4-3 end all the way," one scout said. "Straight-liner. Plays hard. Kind of one-dimensional, though. It's all up field and it's all hustle." Injured his knee in 2010. Fourth-year junior with 31 games (26 starts), 104 tackles (32½ for loss) and 19 sacks. "He's a hard-charging, hard-playing guy," another scout said. "Little bit odd off the field but I think it is manageable. There's a lot of (defensive ends), and he's going to turn some people off with his personality." Out of Greenwood, S.C. "Odd is an understatement," a third scout said. "Sam's a talented guy, but after Ziggy Ansah he has the next-best chance to bust. He's wild and crazy. He's an odd bird is the best way to put it."

7. ALEX OKAFOR, Texas (6-4½, 262, 4.91, 3) - Asked why he wasn't high on Okafor, one personnel director replied, "Because he's from Texas." Two other scouts basically said the same thing, reflecting a deep-seated perception of Longhorns players as pampered, talented underachievers. "He's perplexing to me," another scout said. "He had a great (Alamo) bowl game with 4 or 4½ sacks against a bad player at Oregon State. The kid is all pluses except I don't know if he's athletic enough. And I don't know where he plays in a 3-4." Started 33 games (25 at DE, eight at DT), finishing with 150 tackles (34 for loss) and 23 sacks. "He's a momentum rusher," a third scout said. "When he has some distance between him and the tackle he can get going. I worried a little bit when people quick set him. Does he have an alternate counter move? I'm not sure he does right now." From Pflugerville, Texas.

8. CORNELIUS WASHINGTON, Georgia (6-4, 263, 4.55, 3) - Blew out the combine in the 40, vertical jump (39), broad jump (10-6) and bench press (36 reps). "You couldn't ask for more in the testing end of it," one scout said. "Forward player. Can be dynamic as a pass rusher." Never found a home in the Bulldogs' 3-4 but looked like a million bucks at the Senior Bowl as a 4-3 DE. "The 3-4 teams shouldn't even waste a minute on him," another scout said. "He's got no chance as a 3-4 backer and he's not big enough to be a five-technique. But this guy will have a better pro career than (Georgia teammate) Jarvis Jones and he had half a sack and the other guy had 14½ last year." Started 25 of 51 games (14 LB, 11 DE), finishing with 76 tackles (17 for loss) and 10½ sacks. "He doesn't make any plays because his instincts are horrible," a third scout said. "He's pretty now. Looks the part. But his motor is inconsistent and he just doesn't do a whole lot. He could be (a bust)." From Hephzibah, Ga.

9. WILLIAM GHOLSTON, Michigan State (6-6½, 275, 4.99, 3-4) - Third-year junior from Detroit. "He's long but I'm not a fan," one scout said. "He oozes. He doesn't explode." His cousin Vernon was the sixth pick in the 2008 draft but never made a sack and his awful career appears to have ended. "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane," said another scout. "Not real physical. I see him as more of a 4-3 guy, not a 3-4 guy. Up-the-field guy. I don't see him as a guy who will be really good in the trenches." Finished with 142 tackles (36 for loss) and 10 sacks. Effective on stunts and sticking his arm up. "I just thought he was a guy," a third scout said. "He's up high, he shows his chest. I'm not sure what he can do. He probably can run a little bit and chase. I don't think he's soft, but he's a pretend guy a little bit to me. He's not a playmaker. You're going to have to develop him and hope he wants to."

10. COREY LEMONIER, Auburn (6-3½, 255, 4.59, 3-4) - Third-year junior. "Speed rusher," one scout said. "Not a great change of direction guy. Not a real flexible guy. But he can come off the corner fast and hard. It'd be hard for him to play outside backer. Straight-line guy." Started 26 of 39 games at DE, finishing with 100 tackles (24 for loss) and 17 sacks. "He had a bad (final) season," another scout said. "Talented guy. I don't think he's a great football player. He's not real physical or tough." From Hialeah, Fla.

OTHERS: Tourek Williams, Florida International; Michael Buchanan, Illinois; Malliciah Goodman, Clemson; Devin Taylor, Southern Carolina; Glenn Foster, Illinois; Joe Kruger, Utah; Lavar Edwards, Louisiana State; David Bass, Missouri Western State; Quanterus Smith, Western Kentucky; Brandon Jenkins, Florida State; Armonty Bryant, East Central (Okla.); Kapron Lewis-Moore, Notre Dame; Abry Jones, Georgia.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. SHARRIF FLOYD, Florida (6-2½, 298, 4.91, 1) - Third-year junior. "He's quick, agile and plays with good leverage," Dimitroff said. "He's a combination of almost all you're looking for at the position. He's an aggressive, disruptive, play-making tackle." Injured a knee in high school but was injury free during three seasons in Gainesville. "I saw the short arms (31¾) where he couldn't keep people off," one scout said. "Maybe that's not as important as it is on the offensive line. If he doesn't win with quickness, which is exceptional, it's hard for him to counter and get off blocks. But he'll probably win with quickness. I think you're safe with Floyd." Played 37 games (25 starts), finishing with 115 tackles (26 for loss) and 4½ sacks. "No, there's none of that," another scout said when asked if Floyd was similar to Warren Sapp. "He just was more gifted than Floyd. Floyd is a good effort player. He's got shorter arms than (Sheldon) Richardson, and I think it shows. He gets kind of Velcro'd on blockers too much." Compared by several scouts to Steelers DE Ziggy Hood. "Those idiots on TV made Floyd," a third scout said. "He's not that good. He's not better than Ziggy Hood. Floyd's not a real bulky guy but he can run." From Philadelphia.

2. STAR LOTULELEI, Utah (6-2½, 314, 5.41, 1) - "As a junior I didn't think he played hard," one scout said. "This year he played hard. They say he really matured this year. He's married, has (two) kids. All of a sudden the light came on. I just thought he was a dominant player. He can control the point. He can rush the passer. He can do anything he wants to. He's a lot like Haloti Ngata but not as big." Former junior-college player with 107 tackles (22½ for loss) and seven sacks in 38 games (28 starts). "Really talented but it's like once every five plays," another scout said. "Which is just like Ngata was coming out. He's athletic like that and he could be powerful." Three teams said he was off their board because it was discovered at the combine that the left ventricle of his heart was operating at 44% efficiency. Subsequent medical reports said his heart was normal. Bench-pressed 38 times, one more than Ngata at the 2006 combine. Utes' best DT since Luther Elliss in the early 1990s. South Jordan, Utah, is home.

3. SHELDON RICHARDSON, Missouri (6-2½, 295, 4.94, 1) - Long arms (34½), top athletic ability and 30 reps on the bench press. "It's close between him and Floyd," one scout said. "Both are very quick, and that's the nice thing. You'll get an inside pass rusher, which is hard to get. Richardson didn't go to class but I never saw that in his play. He found the ball and knew where blocks were coming from." Failed to qualify at Mizzou and spent two years in junior college. His Wonderlic score of 9 was a tick worse than Floyd's 11. "Really talented and very disruptive," another scout said. "Just doesn't make enough plays. Little bit of a wise (expletive)." From St. Louis, where he also participated in basketball, baseball and track as a prep. Started 13 of 24 games, finishing with 116 tackles (18½ for loss) and six sacks. "He has a chance (for greatness) but he's got some boom and bust in him, too," a third scout said. "Just a little immature. Not sure how hard his work ethic is."

4. JOHNATHAN HANKINS, Ohio State (6-3, 320, 5.28, 1-2) - Third-year junior known as "Big Hank" in Columbus. "Very, very good nose tackle," one scout said. "He is not a three-technique. Got a little of a fleshy body. Coach's dream. He does everything that they ask. He can shrink running lanes with human bodies. He's got that kind of base, power and strength. He's not even within a gunshot of being a pass rusher. If somebody needed an almost prototypical nose tackle, a Pat Williams type, this is what you would have." Started 25 of 38 games, finishing with 138 tackles (16½ for loss) and five sacks. "He's inconsistent," another scout said. "Against Nebraska, it was, 'Get out of here.' Against Cal, I could see why people liked him. He's a short-area two-gapper, limited athletically compared to Richardson and Floyd." From Dearborn Heights, Mich. Played at 340 in 2010. "Big, ol' lazy guy," a third scout said. "He doesn't stay square. He turns his shoulders to blockers. I've never seen anything like it from a guy that big. He makes most of his plays down the line and chasing instead of at the point. Belly. Big waist. He just plays lazy."

5. SYLVESTER WILLIAMS, North Carolina (6-2½, 311, 5.01, 1-2) - Grew up in a tough section of St. Louis, then played his one and only year of high school ball in Jefferson City, Mo. Worked for a year before sustaining his career in junior college. Started all 25 games at weak-side DT for Tar Heels. "The most solid D-lineman that has no chance of busting, solid as a rock, is Sylvester Williams," one scout said. Goes by "Sly." Registered 96 tackles (20½ for loss) and 8½ sacks. "I wouldn't take him in the first round," another scout said. "He is a pretty solid player. I got him in the third (round). He might be a nose. He can be (stout). He was probably 330 last year but lost a bunch of weight because they changed schemes." Led D-tackles in Wonderlic score (25) and hand size (10¾). "I just don't think he's very good," a third scout said. "I'm shocked at all this (attention) he's getting. Absolutely shocked. He's non-instinctive. Just doesn't make any plays. Doesn't play strong. Hopefully, he will go ahead of us. His off-the-field is great. They love him. Works hard. Worked out good. All that."

6. KAWANN SHORT, Purdue (6-3, 303, 5.09, 1-2) - Excellent basketball player, helping East Chicago to the Indiana 4A state title. "So I was looking for really a fast-twitch guy," one scout said. "He was more of a pillar. I was disappointed. I thought he was more of a nose than a three-technique. He's a very strong point-of-attack player. He tends to play high but has a lot of natural strength. With his history you'd expect more as a pass rusher and to be more athletic." Four-year starter with 186 tackles (49 for loss) and 19½ sacks. "He's better than Jerel Worthy," another scout said. "I really don't know what his problem is. You watch one game and he stinks, then another game he was good and you really got to like him." Long arms (34¾) and good strength. "He could do whatever he wants to do," said a third scout. "He's a three-down guy who can play nose or three-technique."

7. JOHN JENKINS, Georgia (6-3½, 343, 5.23, 2) - Former junior-college player spent two years in Athens, starting as a senior. Said he played 2012 at 370 pounds. "Big sluggo," one scout said. "This guy is huge. He can be 400 pounds if he doesn't watch it, but he has been watching himself. He'll float around for a long time because he's too big and works hard enough. Jovial. Fun kid. He's not a lazy guy. Just not explosive. He'll be able to push the pocket and he'll be a run stopper. That's it." Finished with 78 tackles (eight for loss) and four sacks. "That guard from Kentucky (Larry Warford) beat the hell out of him, and Kentucky was awful," another scout said. "I've never seen him do anything. Too much of a waist-bender." Another scout said Alabama RT D.J. Fluker soundly outplayed him in the SEC championship game. "When he got crushed by Fluker I started to worry," a third scout said. "He got his (expletive) kicked. He's got to keep his weight down. That's everything for him. I don't know if he loves football." From Meriden, Conn.

8. JESSE WILLIAMS, Alabama (6-3½, 325, 4.94, 2) - Grew up in Brisbane, Australia, first put on pads at 15 and played two years in junior college before starting all 26 games for the Crimson Tide in 2011-'12. "He's a power-packed rare combination of 325 pounds and 4.9 in the 40," one scout said. "Very limited background in football. He can probably fit either scheme. It will take a little time before he's trusted to play in a game." Has made more than his share of mental mistakes. Finished with 61 tackles (6½ for loss) and 1½ sacks. "He's one of the safest guys," another scout said. "Because he's big, he's tough, he's got strong hands, he runs pretty well. He is stiff." Short arms (32) and fairly small hands (9 3/8). "He's got really good weight-room strength that doesn't translate to the field," a third scout said. "He's kind of in there battling. He's just not ready for prime time yet. He's a skinny lower-body guy. I think he's way overhyped."

9. BRANDON WILLIAMS, Missouri Southern (6-1, 332, 5.36, 2-3) - Division II national defensive player of the year in 2012 after posting 8½ sacks and five forced fumbles. "He was a bull," Tennessee scout Johnny Meads said. "Strong as an ox. He had 38 on the bench. He's a Missouri kid who wasn't highly recruited. Very athletic for his size. Solid kid." Started 29 of 41 games, amassing 182 tackles (49½ for loss) and 25 sacks. "Big, impressive-looking kid," another scout said. "Just a project right now. He's not a fat guy now. Just a thick, strong guy. He had a problem with a bulging disc and a pinched nerve." From Kirkwood, Mo.

10. MONTORI HUGHES, Tennessee-Martin (6-4, 338, 5.14, 2-3) - Played off the bench in 2009-'10 at Tennessee before being dismissed from school following several suspensions. "Tennessee is pretty lenient, too," one veteran scout said. "If they kick a guy out of Tennessee, then he's screwed up a few times." Surfaced at Martin in 2012, started 11 games and had one sack. "Great big guy," another scout said. "The pass rush is there but it doesn't come out. He has talent. He ran decently. It's there. Montori could bust because of other things, not ability." From Murfreesboro, Tenn. "He had always been a fat and out of shape guy and they just got tired of it," a third scout said. "He showed very well in the all-star games and showed very well at the combine. Went to pro day and he had already gained about 13 pounds. You could see the laziness start to slip back in. He's one of those, tries to act normal for about four or five months and then he struggles. I think he's a coach-killer."

OTHERS: Bennie Logan, Louisiana State; Nick Williams, Samford; Jordan Hill, Penn State; Quinton Dial, Alabama; Akeem Spence, Illinois; Dewayne Cherrington, Mississippi State; Kwame Geathers, Georgia; Damion Square, Alabama; T.J. Barnes, Georgia Tech; Cory Grissom, South Florida; Everett Dawkins, Florida State; Jared Smith, New Hampshire; Chris Jones, Bowling Green; Will Campbell, Michigan.

GShock

DCC 4Life
DBs

CORNERBACKS

1. DEE MILLINER, Alabama (6-0, 206, 4.38, 1) - Third-year junior. "Well-rounded guy," Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff said. "He's fast. He's explosive. He's a fluid guy with easy hips, and he can run. Top that off with ball skills and hands. This guy is a playmaker, and will do very well in the league." Started in 2010, played mostly as a nickel in '11 and was back starting in '12. "He's got a chance to be your first corner," one scout said. "His negatives to me are missed tackles, but I've seen him make a lot of tackles, too. I wouldn't worry about him. I'd take him." Finished with six interceptions and 36 PBUs (passes broken up). "He's the best corner I've seen in a while," another scout said. "I see no holes. I thought he lacked top speed, but he came in (to the combine) at 201 and ran 4.37. Plays good in man and zone. He's been in a great program, and those guys really work hard there." Toiled with a bad left shoulder for much of last season and had labrum surgery March 12. Has a metal rod in his right shin along with an arthroscopic knee surgery and a sports hernia problem. "It's a big concern," one scout said. "All those Alabama guys are beat up." From Millbrook, Ala.

2. XAVIER RHODES, Florida State (6-1½, 207, 4.43, 1) - Fourth-year junior. "He was 216 coming into the fall, and you can't do that," one scout said. "He got down to 206 and he looked unbelievably great. He's got height, arm length (33¾ inches, tops among CBs) and he's a very good athlete. Fast. He can cover deep all day. There's a little maturity issue but he's a football guy. . . . once you get him in a program and tell him what's required, he'll do it." Also led CBs in vertical jump (40½ inches) and broad jump (11-0). "I worried about his speed, but his ball skills and length make up for it," one scout said. "If he's a step off, it's not bad for him. A step off is bad for a little (expletive)." Finished with eight picks and 23 PBUs in 43 games (38 starts). "He's a very, very good press corner right now," a third scout said. "He's a little bit tight and bulky, and struggles (playing) off. He plays OK in zones because he seems to understand things. I think he will gain weight and end up playing safety. Like his aggressiveness." From Miami.

3. D.J. HAYDEN, Houston (5-11, 189, 4.49, 1) - Played in junior college, intercepting three passes in two seasons before picking his hometown university, Houston, over offers from several Texas schools. "He's pretty damn good," one scout said. "As a player he goes in the first round if he doesn't have this issue." Suffered a gruesome injury in practice Nov. 6, tearing the vena cava blood vessel in his heart. Surgeons performed open-heart surgery immediately, saving his life. He worked out fairly well March 18 and Monday, and now could be a first-round pick. "It only happens in car wrecks," another scout said. "Some (doctors) won't like him, but he's OK with us. You put on a tape, he can run. He (tackles) enough." Finished with six interceptions and 19 PBUs. Returned three picks for TDs, averaging 38.2 yards per return. "He's a (medical) concern, but I think he will be OK for us," a third scout. "Anytime anybody has a major episode like that it would be a concern. The first time he gets back on the field, will he be what he was or some derivative less than that?"

4. DESMOND TRUFANT, Washington (5-11½, 192, 4.43, 1-2) - Follows in the footsteps of older brothers Marcus, a 10-year veteran CB with Seattle, and Isaiah, a Jet backup at CB. "Class kid," one scout said. "Knows where he's headed. He's into football." Four-year starter with only four interceptions and 33 PBUs. "I saw him as just the ideal third-nickel corner," another scout said. "He's extremely quick and explosive." His score of 22 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test was one of the two best among the top CBs. "Not near the player that Marcus was," a third scout said. "He can run, but he's a lot thinner." From Tacoma, Wash. "He was better covering in front of him than when he has to turn and run deep," a fourth scout said. "Decent cover guy. He's a good college player, but I don't see special in him."

5. JAMAR TAYLOR, Boise State (5-10½, 193, 4.39, 1-2) - Three-year starter. "I like his quickness, suddenness, speed, awareness," one scout said. "He's got enough toughness. You can play him in the slot or outside. He can run long with people and catch up when he's beat. He plays the ball well and has great feet." In 48 games (35 starts), he had seven picks and 18 PBUs. "He can press or play soft and back," another scout said. "He lacks a little height and length but he's tough and he's instinctive. He's a great kid. Comes from a disciplined, hard-nosed program." Led the top CBs on the bench press with 22 reps. "Kind of something missing," a third scout said. "He's got size and speed. At times not much physicality. The mental instincts. The playmaking is just a little bit off." From San Diego.

6. DARIUS SLAY, Mississippi State (6-0, 192, 4.34, 1-2) - Played two seasons at a junior college, where he was converted from RB to CB. "He's a great athlete," one scout said. "Did he test well? Absolutely." Ran extremely fast and fared well in the jumps. Backup in 2011, starter in '12. "He's a two-year guy there and he couldn't beat out a midget last year," the scout said. "He had four interceptions the first three or four games (in 2012), and after that he fell off. Something's missing in this cat. Does he play well? I don't think so. (Johnthan) Banks is a better player. Slay has that test score (Wonderlic of 10, low among top CBs). We're trying to make him into something he isn't." Finished with six picks and 10 PBUs. Suffered a cartilage tear at the combine that worries some teams and might require surgery at some point. "The problem with him is he's tight," a third scout said. "He's a tough son of a gun. Everything he does, he needs to stop and gather. Once he gets turned he has a burst and can close." From Brunswick, Ga.

7. JOHNTHAN BANKS, Mississippi State (6-2, 186, 4.62, 2) - Tied Walt Harris' school interception record with 16. "Really a good football player," one scout said. "Not a thick guy by any means but he's got real long arms (33 7/8, tops among CBs). Good ball skills. Even for a long, lanky guy he has pretty good quickness. Not afraid to hit. Loves football. Quiet kid." Before the combine, some scouts expected him to run below 4.5. Instead, he couldn't break 4.6 at the combine or pro day. "If you didn't know what he ran you'd say he's the best (corner) up there," another scout said. "It's a shame. He has covered some of the top receivers in the SEC. I thought he was a first-round pick and the speed puts him in the second or third round. But there's been guys like him that play, OK? Todd Lyght couldn't run, but he went on to play a long time. Same thing will happen here." Started at safety in 2009 before moving to CB. Had 26 PBUs. "Just can't run," a third scout said. "There will be stuff he can't do. He's just going to have to be really smart and be in the right place." From Maben, Miss.

8. BLIDI WREH-WILSON, Connecticut (6-1, 195, 4.48, 2) - Three-year starter. "Good speed for his size," one scout said. "He's a little tight but still a pretty good athlete. You want the guy to be more physical for a big guy. It's just kind of not who he is. But he's a dependable, good, solid cover performer in man and zone. Great kid. Professional. It would not shock me if somebody at the bottom of the first (round) took him." Wonderlic of 33. His father is a philosophy professor. "He's a little leggy," another scout said. "Decent arm length (32). Strictly an outside guy." Posted eight picks and 27 PBUs in 45 games (40 starts). From Edinboro, Pa.

9. DAVID AMERSON, North Carolina State (6-1, 201, 4.42, 2-3) - Third-year junior. "He's got all the talent in the world, but he doesn't use it all the time," one scout said. "Big, good-looking guy. Two years ago, he played great. This year, I don't even know why they gave him a uniform. A guy like that who tanks it for his (last year), I don't trust him." Picked off 13 passes in 2011, the most by a major-college player since 1968. "But if you go back and look at all the games he had picks in it was all against the (expletive) teams," another scout said. "Same thing this year." His terrible '12 season began with a horrendous showing against Tennessee. "He got beat bad," a third scout said. "He didn't play fast. Footwork wasn't good. I didn't think he was disciplined in his play." Finished with 18 picks and 18 PBUs. "He's mentally weak," said a fourth scout. "He's not a football player." From Greensboro, N.C.

10. SANDERS COMMINGS, Georgia (6-0½, 216, 4.48, 2-3) - Started 35 of 54 games. "You have to limit what he does," one scout said. "Really smart (Wonderlic of 22), really long. Strong (23 reps on the bench). But (playing) off he'll struggle because he's kind of stiff." Arrested for domestic violence/simple battery in 2012, was suspended for two games and was placed on probation for a year. "He's like Rhodes," another scout said. "He's a big guy and plays the boundary a lot. Probably be a free safety. Pretty good player." Finished with eight picks and 17 PBUs. Exceptional baseball centerfielder out of Augusta, Ga. "He's too big to play corner," a third scout said. "He's more suited for strong safety."

OTHERS: Dwayne Gratz, Connecticut; Robert Alford, Southeastern Louisiana; Leon McFadden, San Diego State; Logan Ryan, Rutgers; Jordan Poyer, Oregon State; Tyrann Mathieu, ex-Louisiana State; Will Davis, Utah State; B.W. Webb, William & Mary; Terry Hawthorne, Illinois; Demetrius McCray, Appalachian State; Tharold Simon, Louisiana State; Steve Williams, California; Brandon McGee, Miami; Kayvon Webster, South Florida; Micah Hyde, Iowa.

SAFETIES

1. KENNY VACCARO, Texas (6-0, 211, 4.61, 1-2) - Two-year starter. "Different than most Texas guys," one scout said. "He's tough and physical. He will hit you and he's got cover ability. He doesn't run real great." Often moved down and covered slot receivers. "They matched him up against (West Virginia's) Tavon Austin and he did all right," another scout said. "He plays 4.55. You'd have to twist my arm to take him in the first." Has been arrested twice for various altercations. "He's just got a little edge to him," the scout said. "He's got a temper. But he's not a bad kid. Real smart (22 on the Wonderlic). He can run a secondary, but he's not as smart as (Eric) Reid." Finished with 264 tackles (16 for loss) and five picks in 51 games (32 starts). Grew up in Brownwood, Texas, and didn't always run with the best friends. "He's not a natural cover guy," a third scout said. "I don't see him make plays. Alert and aggressive. Adequate break on the ball. He's best as a center-field type so he can come down and cover the slot."

2. ERIC REID, Louisiana State (6-1½, 210, 4.51, 1-2) - Third-year junior. "He's got the total package," one scout said. "He's the smartest (Wonderlic of 29) of the group. He's got the best measureables. He needs to clean up his tackling a little bit. I think he's tough enough. He's not the greatest ballhawk, but he's good enough." Led safeties in vertical jump (40½) and broad jump (11-2). "He'll probably start," another scout said. "His angles to the ball are suspect. His speed is really marginal on the edge. Now he will hit your (expletive). He has good qualities and a reputation for running the show. Just dropping his hips and running fast were my two biggest things. He doesn't roll his hips real good. He'll ricochet off some hips. It doesn't mean he isn't tough. It's where a little bit of tightness gets him." Played 39 games (29 starts), finishing with 199 tackles (4½ for loss) and six picks. Father, Eric, was NCAA 110 hurdles champion in 1987. "His junior year (2011) he made some spectacular plays," said Phil Savage, Senior Bowl executive director and a former personnel man for Baltimore and Cleveland. "His workout was as good as you're going to see. He looked like the best safety in the draft. But you're going to have to draw that out of him. Get him under control. He's got first-round talent dripping from him." Removed from one team's board because of arthritic shoulders. From Geismar, La.

3. MATT ELAM, Florida (5-10, 208, 4.50, 1-2) - Third-year junior compared by one admiring scout to Bob Sanders, Earl Thomas and Eric Berry. "He'll knock your (expletive) in the ground," another scout said. "He's a Bob Sanders type dude, that's who this guy is. Very tightly wound and explosive, but a good tackler. Takes very good angles. First round is a stretch for me because of height and he's so tight wound." Scored 19 on the Wonderlic. "I'm worried about him," said a third scout. "He's really a little guy and doesn't run very good. He just launches himself at everybody. He misses a ton of tackles. Everybody talks about how he fits, which he does, but he misses as many as he hits. You're just not going to have a 5-9 guy cover a big tight end or kill the guy." Started 26 of 39 games, finishing with 176 tackles (24 for loss) and six picks. Comes from a rough background in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Older brother Abram has been an NFL safety since '06. Reminded one scout of former Cowboy Thomas Everett. "He got taken advantage of a little bit in a game because of the length," a fourth scout said. "In the second round I think you have one. He'll make everybody else excited about getting to the ball. He'll be a pretty good player. Wish he were taller."

4. JONATHAN CYPRIEN, Florida International (6-0½, 208, 4.64, 1-2) - Started since mid-2009. "He'll never run fast, but he is a good football player," said one scout. "Smart football player. Real instinctive. Good athlete. Very good ball skills. Had one really bad game against Akron and played great the rest of the way. He'll be one of the best special-teams players you got." Finished with 365 tackles (13½) for loss and seven picks. "He's really raw with his angles," a second scout said. "He guesses a lot right now. But he's a big guy and plays hard." Out of North Miami Beach, Fla. "He looked good in the Senior Bowl, but he can't cover," a third scout said. "He is a big-time hitter. He's tight and didn't cover well down there."

5. PHILLIP THOMAS, Fresno State (6-0½, 209, 4.62, 2-3) - Intercepted 13 passes in 39 games (24 starts), including an NCAA-leading eight in 2012. "He's got the best ball skills of the group," one scout said. "He's smart enough. If you exclude the Oregon game he tackles. He needs to improve his angles. He's very athletic. He's a fine football player." Had 178 tackles (17 for loss). Returned four of his picks for TDs. "I didn't drink the Kool-Aid on him," another scout said. "I know he's got a bunch of interceptions, but I think he's a mid-round type." Injury history concerns at least one team. From Bakersfield, Calif.

6. T.J. McDONALD, Southern California (6-2½. 215, 4.58, 2-3) - Three scouts said he played better as a junior than as a senior. "He is kind of a jack of all, master of none," one scout said. "Doesn't really do anything on tape, but he's got NFL prototype measurables." His father, Tim, played 13 seasons as a Pro Bowl safety before coaching his son as a prep in Fresno, Calif. "As a junior he wasn't great, either," another scout said. "Kind of an inconsistent guy. Doesn't make a lot of plays on the ball, but he's a big, athletic guy. He can be very physical. I was at practice and he did a 720-degree dunk on the goalpost. He jumped and went around twice and dunked over the back of his head with a football. This was in gear. He covers a lot of ground." Vertical jump (40) and broad jump (10-11) were exceptional. Said a third scout: "Bad football player. Stiff. Not always aggressive. Misses tons of tackles. He's a box area, almost like a 'will' linebacker kind of guy but without the physical nature." Finished with 275 tackles (12 for loss) and eight picks in 50 games (36 starts).

7. BACARRI RAMBO, Georgia (6-0½, 209, 4.57, 3) - Prep QB from Donalsonville, Ga., shifted to defense shortly upon arrival in Athens. "He's the new breed of safety that you need," one scout said. "Real athletic. Ball skills. Covers. He just short-circuits a lot and is not always aggressive. As far as the cover stuff, he's probably the best of the group." Finished with 235 tackles (seven for loss) and 16 picks. "He's athletic but not a real physical guy," another scout said. "He's got some baggage, too. If he was pristine, if he was going into the novitiate, he (still) wouldn't be a first-rounder." Three personnel men said failed drug tests led to his four-game suspension in '12. Wonderlic of 20. "He's not fast and I'm worried about the off-the-field stuff," a third scout said. "I see his emotional baggage getting in the way. He doesn't play fast."

8. D.J. SWEARINGER, South Carolina (5-10½, 205, 4.67, 3-4) - Rugged three-year starter out of Greenwood, S.C. "Despite the speed I really like him," one scout said. "He really is a good, instinctive player who is around the ball. Big-time hitter. The only thing I didn't like is he was kind of mouthy at practice." Finished with 244 tackles (6½ for loss) and six picks in 52 games (33 starts). "He's a strong-safety guy that will have to be covered up behind him," another scout said. "But I like his physicalness around the line of scrimmage. He's probably going to be a pretty good player." Wonderlic of 28.

9. J.J. WILCOX, Georgia Southern (6-0, 216, 4.53, 3-4) - Played WR in 2009, slotback in '10, RB in '11 and safety in '12. "In 2011, the guy was playing A-back in the double wing," one scout said. "They switched him over in the spring (of 2012) because of depth concerns. He had never played in the secondary. Ever. At first there were some really bad angles, but he got better. He will hit your (expletive). He's got a great chance to start some day. He has all the faculties you look for as a safety in the NFL." Caught 45 passes, rushed for 968 yards (7.0 average), returned kickoffs extremely well and had 96 tackles ( 1/2 for loss) plus two picks. Wonderlic of 15. "He's a very talented athlete, and I think he can cover," another scout said. "But I deal in present, and the present tells me he's a long ways away." From Cairo, Ga.

10. SHAWN WILLIAMS, Georgia (6-0, 215, 4.48, 4) - Started 30 of 54 games. "He ran way faster than I thought he could," said one scout. "I like what he brings to the locker room and the field." Strong (25 reps on the bench) and scored 22 on the Wonderlic. "He comes up and hits you in the box every once in a while," another scout said. "If he has to break down in space and make a balanced tackle he can't do it. He's suspect in the passing game. You can't play with guys like that in today's football." Finished with 209 tackles (10½ for loss) and four picks. From Damascus, Ga.

OTHERS: Duke Williams, Nevada; Earl Wolff, North Carolina State; Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse; Cooper Taylor, Richmond; Robert Lester, Alabama; Zeke Motta, Notre Dame; Daimion Stafford, Nebraska; Jordan Kovacs, Michigan; Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma; Josh Evans, Florida; Don Jones, Arkansas State; John Boyett, Oregon; Jahleel Addae, Central Michigan; Rontez Miles, California (Pa.).

GShock

DCC 4Life
WRs and TEs

WIDE RECEIVERS

1. TAVON AUSTIN, West Virginia (5-8 ½, 173, 4.30, 1) - Most exciting player in the draft. "He's a 'Holy (expletive)' player," one scout said. "I don't like little guys, but I love that guy. He can do the same stuff that (Randall) Cobb did in the slot. And he's never missed a game." Moved to RB against Oklahoma on Nov. 17 and rushed for 344 yards in a 50-49 defeat. "You throw that game on, you think you're looking at Reggie Bush," another scout said. "More exciting. I think he's the best player in the draft. Very soft-spoken but he's football-minded. Well-built. It's not like he's some miniature guy." Finished with 288 receptions for 3,413 yards (11.9 average) and 29 touchdowns. Also rushed for 1,031 (9.5) and six TDs. Native of Baltimore. "He is (better than Cobb)," a third scout said. "He'll carry the ball, run reverses, play in the slot and try to match against a slow corner on the outside. You're trying to give him the ability to make one or two really big plays a game. Whether he can hold up is the $64,000 question."

2. CORDARRELLE PATTERSON, Tennessee (6-2, 217, 4.34, 1) - Junior-college transfer from Rock Hill, S.C. "Really competitive, really athletic, really raw," one scout said. "When he catches the ball he never gives up on a run. He might drive people crazy because he will back up, he will run laterally, he will do whatever. I thought he caught it well." Played just one season of major-college football before declaring a year early. Caught 46 passes for 778 yards (16.9) and five TDs. "No, heavens no," exclaimed another scout when asked if Patterson was as good as Dez Bryant. "I don't know that he's not as athletic as Dez, but Dez is freakish strength-wise. He could be really good but he's not very smart." Should be a threat returning kickoffs while learning how to play on offense. "He's the best returner I've seen since Devin Hester," a third scout said. "He's got a background that's a little bit scary but, boy, is he explosive."

3. KEENAN ALLEN, California (6-2, 210, 4.55, 1-2) - Third-year junior from Greensboro, N.C. "Not as dynamic as Hakeem Nicks but he's a good player," one scout said. "He's big, catches the ball and is smart. Not a big-play threat by any stretch, which is what Hakeem gives you." Golden Bears' all-time reception leader with 205. Gained 2,570 yards (12.5) and scored 17 TDs. "Very smooth for a big man," another scout said. "Good hands. Good athlete." Suffered a posterior cruciate knee ligament injury in November and, in a workout April 9, ran 40 yards in just 4.71. "Complete player," a third scout said. "His half-brother (Zach Maynard) was the quarterback and he sucked. Just an awful player. It probably cost him six or seven touchdowns and 30 more receptions. He compares to Michael Floyd from a year ago."

4. ROBERT WOODS, Southern California (6-0 ½, 200, 4.45, 1-2) - Third-year junior set the Trojans' record for receptions with 252. "He and Patterson are probably the two best after the catch," one scout said. Gained 2,930 yards (11.6) and scored 32 TDs. "He was limited by comparison because of (Marqise) Lee," another scout said. "Good avoiding bump. Gets on the cornerback quickly. Quick out of his cuts. Lays out well. He's a speed and quick guy." USC coach Lane Kiffin compared his playing style to all-time great Jerry Rice. "Seems to me everything he does has been manufactured," a third scout said. "There's something missing with him." From Carson, Calif.

5. DeANDRE HOPKINS, Clemson (6-1, 212, 4.54, 2) - Third-year junior rewrote the Tigers' record book. "Real natural receiver," one scout said. "Great ball skills. Natural route runner. Competes in a crowd. Got size, got quickness. He makes himself easy to throw to. He can make plays with the ball. Not the best tester in the world." Finished with 206 catches for 3,020 yards (14.7) and 27 TDs. "Possession guy all the way," another scout said. "But he's got damn good hands, he's big and he's a great kid." Concentrated on basketball in high school, even playing seven games for Clemson in 2010-'11 season. From Central, S.C. "I'm not entirely sold on his hands," a third scout said. "Pretty good route runner. Not a speed burner. Not special."

6. JUSTIN HUNTER, Tennessee (6-4, 198, 4.40, 2) - Third-year junior. "Probably the most physically gifted of any of the receivers," one scout said. "You go back and look at sophomore film, he's special. Long arms. Lean body. Ripped up. He's really got good hands, too, but didn't show it as well this year." Blew out an ACL in Game 3 of 2011 and wasn't as good in '12. "From a skill set, he's probably the No. 1 (WR)," another scout said. "He just drops the ball a little bit too much. At the end of the day, Hunter could be the best receiver in that class if he can put it all together." Finished with 106 catches for 1,812 yards (17.1) and 18 TDs. "He short-arms balls in traffic at times," a third scout said. "Straight-line speed. Long strider. I question his strength and aggressiveness as a receiver and blocker. He appears to have deep speed but he wasn't explosive." Out of Virginia Beach, Va. Exceptional vertical jump (40 ½ inches) and broad jump (11-6).

7. TERRANCE WILLIAMS, Baylor (6-2, 207, 4.50, 2-3) - Spent five years in Waco, redshirting in 2008 and starting his final three seasons. "Coming out of that offense all those guys are behind because they haven't run a lot of different routes," one scout said. "Really strong. His 40 isn't as great as some other guys' but they talk about carrying your pads. That's him. Guys put their hands on him and he's still running as fast. He's just really raw." Caught 201 passes for 3,294 yards (16.4) and 27 TDs. "I don't like him as much as the guy from there last year (Kendall Wright)," said another scout. "He's a deep threat outside the numbers." Calls Dallas home.

8. QUINTON PATTON, Louisiana Tech (6-0, 202, 4.49, 2-3) - Ex-junior college player with whopping production in two seasons for Bulldogs. "Real good player," one scout said. "He's tough, competitive, productive and knows how to play." Two-year numbers were 183 receptions for 2,594 yards (14.2) and 24 TDs. "There's a lot more to him than just being a spread receiver that caught 100-plus passes," another scout said. "He's got the balance and the run-after-catch ability. Good strength. And he's competitive." Carries himself with a swagger. Out of La Vergne, Tenn.

9. STEDMAN BAILEY, West Virginia (5-10, 196, 4.53, 3) - Played in the shadows of Austin and surprised some scouts by declaring as a fourth-year junior. "He's a very smooth, fluid guy," one scout said. "Good sure-handed receiver. I thought he would run better and elevate himself into at least a top second-round pick. Good kid." Finished with 210 receptions for 3,218 yards (15.3) and 41 TDs. Long arms (32 ¾) and large hands (9 7/8). "He's a little stiff and not a real tough guy and not true speed," another scout said. "But he's not a bad player." From Miami.

10. DA'RICK ROGERS, Tennessee Tech (6-2 ½, 219, 4.53, 3) - Dismissed by coach Derek Dooley eight days before the first game for repeated violations of the school's substance-abuse policy. At least one team has removed him from its board. "Talent-wise, he is a first-round pick," one scout said. "Complete disaster off the field." Rated as Volunteers' No. 1 WR in 2011. Enrolled almost immediately at Tennessee Tech and started 11 games last fall. The combined stats for the third-year junior were 139 catches for 2,100 yards (15.1) and 21 TDs. "He's got some Brandon Marshall in him," another scout said. "He's got some self-entitlement, some things that kept Brandon from being drafted high. He is a very good football player." Out of Calhoun, Tenn.

11. MARKUS WHEATON, Oregon State (5-11, 187, 4.43, 3) - Set the Beavers' school record with 227 catches. "He has a chance to be a really solid No. 2," said Phil Savage, the Senior Bowl executive director and former personnel man for Cleveland and Baltimore. "He's got the innate body quickness and good hands, and there's not a drop-off from his 40 time to his play speed." Finished with 2,994 yards (13.2) and 16 TDs. "Good pattern runner," another scout said. "Good after the catch." From Chandler, Ariz.

12. CHRIS HARPER, Kansas State (6-0 ½, 232, 4.50, 3-4) - Spent the first five games of his true freshman year at Oregon playing QB before transferring to be closer to home (Wichita, Kan.). Moved into the lineup in 2010. "More a physical than an explosive player," one scout said. "Most catches are in traffic. Does not play as fast as his 40 time. Good in the red zone. He's not a quick guy." Finished with 123 catches for 1,734 yards (14.1) and 12 TDs. "He's kind of different," one scout said, comparing his build and style of play somewhat to Sterling Sharpe. "Some people think he might end up being a tight end. He's got ability." Paced the top WRs on the Wonderlic intelligence test with 33.

OTHERS: Aaron Dobson, Marshall; Marquise Goodwin, Texas; Ace Sanders, South Carolina; Josh Boyce, Texas Christian; Ryan Swope, Texas A&M; Corey Fuller, Virginia Tech; Aaron Mellette, Elon; Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech; Tavarres King, Georgia; Kenny Stills, Oklahoma; Marquess Wilson, Washington State; Denard Robinson, Michigan; T.J. Moe, Missouri; Rodney Smith, Florida State; Ryan Spadola, Lehigh; Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas.

TIGHT ENDS

1. TYLER EIFERT, Notre Dame (6-5 ½, 256, 4.67, 1) - Replaced Kyle Rudolph as the starter in 2011. "He's a quasi-wide receiver," one scout said. "Very (acrobatic). He's the most predictable of all the wide receivers and tight ends." Scouts really struggle to find a hole in his game. "He reminds me a little of when (Todd) Heap came out," another scout said. "He's an easy guy to grade. If he was another position he'd probably be more highly regarded. He'll go somewhere between 18 and 32 and will be a very, very good player." Caught 140 passes for 1,840 yards (13.1) and 11 TDs. Lightly recruited out of Fort Wayne, Ind. "Jason Witten was a crappy blocker when he came out as a junior but he learned how to position," a third scout said. "That's what I think Eifert will be." Wonderlic of 23.

2. ZACH ERTZ, Stanford (6-5, 245, 4.70, 1-2) - Fourth-year junior and 1 ½-year starter. "He really runs good routes," one scout said. "He knows how to get open, which makes a big difference." Finished with 112 catches for 1,434 yards (12.8) and 15 TDs. "Now he's strictly a receiver," another scout said. "He's not even their base tight end. He lines up in the slot or split. I don't think he'll ever become a good blocker because he doesn't have that lower-body power. He's really smooth and runs well." From Alamo, Calif. "He's Stanford, smart (Wonderlic of 26) and all that, but I think he's just a middle-of-the-road talent," said a third scout. "Good underneath possession guy. I don't think he's a playmaker and he's not a blocker."

3. GAVIN ESCOBAR, San Diego State (6-6, 250, 4.80, 2) - Fourth-year junior plays faster than he timed, according to several personnel people. "He ran better at pro day than at the combine, but it doesn't matter," one scout said. "He can really catch. He's what people are doing now. But he doesn't block at all." Three-year starter with 122 catches for 1,646 yards (13.5) and 17 TDs. Bench-pressed 225 pounds just 12 times, far below Ertz's 24 and Eifert's 22. "He's not a blocker. They don't even use him as a blocker there," another scout said. "They've got two other guys they use. As a pass catcher, he's not a nifty, athletic guy. Kind of a big target who runs on a straight line down the field." Scored 28 on the Wonderlic. Out of Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. "Appears to be a taller Aaron Hernandez," a third scout said. "I had him in 4.84, but he sure plays faster than that."

4. TRAVIS KELCE, Cincinnati (6-5, 257, 4.63, 2-3) - A big, fast, conventional TE. "He's very athletic," one scout said. "Very big. Can catch and block. He's a complete tight end." Worked extensively as a wildcat QB in 2009 (eight carries, 47 yards, two TDs) before being suspended for the entire '10 season. "I wouldn't touch that guy," another scout said. "He's a smart (expletive) and a dumb (expletive). He's got ability, but I wouldn't fool with him." Finished with 59 catches for 875 yards (14.8) and 10 TDs. Regarded as one of the two or three best blocking TEs. From Cleveland Heights, Ohio. His brother, Jason, started at center for the Eagles in '11. "He's a talent," Savage said. "If he hadn't gotten the sports hernia (surgery Jan. 20) there was a chance he may have passed Eifert up as the first tight end off the board. He can block, he can catch and he's fast enough to get up the seam. He will get drafted a little bit later than he probably should and probably end up being a really good player." Wonderlic of 22.

5. VANCE McDONALD, Rice (6-4, 267, 4.66, 3) - Three-year starter with 119 catches for 1,504 yards (12.6) and 15 TDs. "Maybe not the first year but eventually he will (start)," one scout said. "He's 260 pounds, can run and is smart. I like the traits, you know?" Led TEs in the Wonderlic (30) and on the bench press (31 reps). Has long arms (34 3/8). "His hands are questionable," another scout said. "He's got a good body and a good frame." From Winnie, Texas.

6. JORDAN REED, Florida (6-2 ½, 235, 4.71, 3-4) - Fourth-year junior threw 46 passes as a QB in 2010 before moving to TE in '11. "He's a great athlete," one scout said. "He doesn't know how to bend his knees and block. Doesn't understand leverage. The closest comparison is Dustin Keller of the Jets. He's got great hands." Operating mostly away from the formation, he caught 79 passes for 945 yards (12.0) and six TDs. "He's like Hernandez," another scout said. "He's really not a tight end." From New London, Conn. Ran a disappointing 40. Could struggle to grasp a complex offense.

7. DION SIMS, Michigan State (6-5, 262, 4.74, 4) - Might be the best blocker at the position by default. "Of all those guys, he might have the best potential to be a blocker," one scout said. "But he's so damn inconsistent it's unbelievable." Fourth-year junior redshirted in 2010 after being suspended for his involvement in computer theft. "If he was an All-American boy I wouldn't have any problem with him in the third round," another scout said. "Underachiever. He's got talent. He could block better. He certainly can catch short underneath. Not a bad athlete." Highly-rated prep basketball and football player at Orchard Lake St. Mary's (Mich.). Finished with 59 catches for 707 yards (12.0) and eight TDs.

8. LEVINE TOILOLO, Stanford (6-8, 259, 4.82, 4-5) - Fourth-year junior with 50 catches for 763 yards (15.3) and 10 TDs. "He's probably the best blocker," one scout said. "Just because of his size he can get on people and block them. He's just not very fast. Underneath he can catch it." Three uncles have played in the NFL. From La Mesa, Calif. "I mean, he made some really circus catches," another scout said. "Not a good blocker. No leg drive."

OTHERS: Chris Gragg, Arkansas; Nick Kasa, Colorado; Matt Furstenburg, Maryland; Mychal Rivera, Tennessee; Ryan Otten, San Jose State; Jake Stoneburner, Ohio State; Michael Williams, Alabama; Justice Cunningham, South Carolina; Kyler Reed, Nebraska; MarQueis Gray, Minnesota; Demetrius Harris, UW-Milwaukee; Jack Doyle, Western Kentucky; D.C. Jefferson, Rutgers.

GShock

DCC 4Life
LBs

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. ALEC OGLETREE, Georgia (6-2½, 244, 4.69, 1) - Third-year junior was arrested for DUI a week before the combine. Last season, he was suspended for the first four games for violating the school's drug policy. In 2010, he was arrested and charged with theft. "I don't think he's Odell Thurman," said one scout referring to the former Georgia MLB whose promising career in Cincinnati ended after one season (2005) because of drug-related suspensions and other criminal activity. "I don't think he's a terrible kid. But, (expletive), that's Georgia. They have them every year." Started four games at safety in '10 and another at WR. Played ILB and OLB in '11 before moving inside in a 3-4 in '12. "He's the best cover linebacker in the draft," the scout said. "I don't care what his 40 time is. He's fast. This kid is extremely gifted." Many scouts have described his style as finesse. "But this guy can close like there's no tomorrow," another scout said. "People say he's not tough. In the SEC Championship game he fricking dropped the wood on (Eddie) Lacy and caused the fumble on the goal line. Knocked the (expletive) out of him. He doesn't know how to use his hands or play off edges, but he could be a Pro Bowl player if he gets his act together." Finished with 197 tackles (20 for loss), six sacks and seven "big" plays (defined as interceptions, fumbles forced and fumbles recovered). Scored 16 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "I see him as a 'will' where he's running to the ball," a third scout said. "Real good in coverage. Should be able to develop into a pass rusher. I don't see him as a 3-4 outside backer." From Newnan, Ga.

2. MANTI TE'O, Notre Dame (6-1½, 243, 4.81, 1-2) - One of the most celebrated players in college football history. Besides the fake girlfriend scandal, he won almost every award there was in 2012 after picking off seven passes, most by a major-college LB in 12 years. "In the grand scheme of it, yeah, he's a pretty good player," one scout said. "He's a second-round talent." Started 49 games at MLB, finished with 437 tackles (34 for loss), 8½ sacks and 11 "big" plays. "I think he's everything you need in a 'mike' backer," Tennessee scout Johnny Meads said. "He plays sideline to sideline. He plays faster than the timed speed. He's able to key and diagnose quickly. And he's hungry." Dropped about 15 pounds before last season and was much better in coverage. Played terribly against Alabama in the BCS title game. "Probably didn't make as many tackles as A.J. (Hawk), but I don't see a big difference," one scout said. "Notre Dame put their reputation on this kid, and I don't think they would have if he wasn't a hell of a kid." Graduated from President Barack Obama's high school in Hawaii: Punahou. "We've kind of taken him off the board," another scout said. "He doesn't have enough ability to put up with all that. Why fool with it? Try-hard, smart (Wonderlic of 23) guy. This was the first year he's really gotten himself in shape. Some of his teammates think he's kind of a phony."

3. KEVIN MINTER, Louisiana State (6-0, 245, 4.72, 1-2) - Fourth-year junior. "He is a square, take-on guy," one scout said. "Excellent against the run. Much improved against the pass. Height is his only real negative." Athletic enough to lead ILBs in the vertical jump (34½). "Middle backer only," another scout said. "Pretty instinctive. He's not a great athlete, and he's not real explosive." Started 27 of 38 games, finishing with 206 tackles (18½ for loss), five sacks and four "big" plays. Backed up Kelvin Sheppard in '10 before starting for two years. "Damn tough," said a third scout. "I like him." Out of Suwanee, Ga.

4. ARTHUR BROWN, Kansas State (6-0½, 236, 4.67, 2) - Backed up at Miami for two seasons before transferring. "Something about him reminds me of Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis was at Miami," one scout said. "He's wired the right way. Solid hitter. He's instinctive, he runs to the ball and he plays with tremendous football speed. He's got will to win. Very smart (Wonderlic of 20)." Started 26 of 50 games, finishing with 218 tackles (17 for loss), three sacks and seven "big" plays. "They just rave about him as a person," another scout said. "Defensive leader, two-time co-captain. He's a full-time linebacker." His brother, Bryce, rushed for 564 yards as a Philadelphia Eagles rookie in '12. From Wichita, Kan. "He just has really struggled keeping the weight on all four years," a third scout said. "He's going to play in the 220s. He's at a beefed-up size now. He's just small and not a great player."

5. KIKO ALONSO, Oregon (6-3½, 236, 4.75, 2-3) - "I don't think he's a great cover guy, but that (expletive) is a hair-on-fire guy," one scout said. "He's just a meathead. He loves football. He ain't going to make any calls for you. See ball, get ball. But he's a pretty good player." Started 17 of 36 games, finishing with 143 tackles (21 for loss), 3½ sacks and 11 "big" plays. "He's a space-and-chase guy," another scout said. "Lines up 6 yards off the ball. But the guy is a block catcher. I like his athletic ability, movement and range, but he needs to play more physical." Suspended for the '10 season after a DUI. Also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor criminal charges (two years' probation). From Los Gatos, Calif. "Good player but a bad kid," a third scout said. "This kid is a pain in the (expletive). He will be a problem."

6. JONATHAN BOSTIC, Florida (6-1, 240, 4.62, 3) - Three-year starter at MLB. "He really progressed in terms of toughness and playing in the box and taking on stuff," one scout said. "He stepped it up in the second half of the season from a physical standpoint. Real good kid. Very popular on the team. Not necessarily a staunch leader, but everybody really likes the guy. Very smart (Wonderlic of 23). Really instinctive." Finished with 237 tackles (19½ for loss), eight sacks and eight "big" plays in 51 games (32 starts). His father, Jon, played CB for Detroit from 1985-'87. "Like a coach on the field," another scout said. "Great family. If he can play, he's a real asset for your team." Home is Wellington, Fla.

7. NICO JOHNSON, Alabama (6-1½, 250, 4.76, 4) - Part-time starter at ILB for last three years. "He was kind of the leader of their defense," one scout said. "He got on the players and kind of got them going. He could have a long career as a backup at three spots. He's well-coached. Tough kid." Ran a disappointing 40 at pro day. "He is stiff. So?" said another scout. "There are a lot of stiff guys that play." Finished with 163 tackles (16½ for loss), two sacks and seven "big" plays in 52 games (21 starts). Out of Andalusia, Ala. Extremely durable.

8. KEVIN REDDICK, North Carolina (6-1½, 242, 4.72, 4) - One scout's summation: "Too slow." Moved into the lineup at MLB in mid-2009 and started 43 games. "He ran faster than I thought he was going to run," another scout said. "He's a better two-down linebacker than he is on pass downs. He is instinctive, but he's got athletic limitations that bother me in the back half. I just don't think he can cover." Finished with 275 tackles (36 for loss), 8½ sacks and five "big" plays. "He's the leader and he's a team guy," a third scout said. "I don't know if he has enough skills physically, but he's good enough to play." From New Bern, N.C., the hometown of former Green Bay MLB George Koonce.

9. MICHAEL MAUTI, Penn State (6-1 ½, 240, 4.80, 4-5) - Blew out his right ACL in 2009, his left ACL in 2011 and his left ACL again last year. "He's a natural middle linebacker and a big-time player," one scout said. "He's got instincts, quickness, movement. The guy's hurt, but he's a terrific player." At least one team has rejected him medically. Finished with 210 tackles (13½ for loss), 4½ sacks and nine "big" plays in 39 games (22 starts). "He's the guy that kept the team together," said another scout. "Everybody at the school, to a man, will tell you that. When the guy got hurt at the end of the year, the last home game that he had to miss the team all wore his number on their helmet. He could be a two-down 'mike' linebacker but you'll suffer if you have him in there in coverage. He has got to be 3-4 inside. I have a hard time thinking he's going to pass a physical." Father, Rich, was an NFL WR from 1977-'84. From Mandeville, La.

10. JOHN SIMON, Ohio State (6-1½, 259, 4.71, 4-5) - Started 26 games at DT and 11 at DE but might have to play standing up because of size. "I compared him to Kevin Greene," said Phil Savage, executive director of the Senior Bowl and a former personnel man for the Ravens and Browns. "This guy's an overachiever. He's got to play on the line as an outside backer with limited drops, and then put his hand down on third down and try to rush the corner. He's a meat-and-potatoes grinder. Doesn't have elite skills." Finished with 155 tackles (43 for loss), 20½ sacks and five "big" plays. Also has been compared to Tedy Bruschi, another undersized collegiate pass rusher who found a home at ILB in the Patriots' multiple defenses. "Just kept coming," a third scout said. "You can't block him with a tight end. You can't cut him. He'll be a great guy on special teams." Out of Youngstown, Ohio. Wonderlic of 26.

OTHERS: A.J. Klein, Iowa State; Vince Williams, Florida State; Steve Beauharnais, Rutgers; Jonathan Stewart, Texas A&M; Brandon Hepburn, Florida A&M; Will Compton, Nebraska; Tom Wort, Oklahoma; Jake Knott, Iowa State; John Lotulelei, Nevada-Las Vegas; Nick Clancy, Boston College.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. DION JORDAN, Oregon (6-6, 248, 4.58, 1) - TE converted to LB in 2010. "He's very athletic, fast, rangy, explosive with a keen ability to bend and accelerate around the corner," Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff said. "He can be both a drop guy and a pass-rush threat. It makes him a consideration in the top five (picks)." Suffered third-degree burns over 40% of his body in 2007 when a vacuum cleaner he and his friends were using to siphon gas exploded. "The only negative is his body," one scout said. "He got burned. He went to Oregon because that was the only school that stuck with him. He's the whole package. All he has to do as a rusher is develop an inside move. It's all up the field now." Finished with 121 tackles (29 for loss), 14½ sacks and four "big" plays. "If he goes to a 3-4 team then, yeah, he's the best pass rusher in the draft," another scout said. "If someone takes him as a D-end you're doing a disservice to him by putting his hand down." From Chandler, Ariz. "Compares to Aldon Smith," a third scout said. "Neither one was that strong head-up on guys but as a rusher they're special. I was a little disappointed in his shed stuff against the run. A lot of him was just go get the quarterback. Good swim and club moves. Excellent spin move. Kind of average in drops."

2. BARKEVIOUS MINGO, Louisiana State (6-4½, 237, 4.57, 1) - Fourth-year junior. "Freakish athlete," one scout said. "Unbelievable first-step quickness. Very, very dangerous on the move on twists, stunts, games. He needs to get stronger at the point. Destroys tight ends. Just plays a little high at times, and his production kind of comes and goes. Great kid." Despite his size, he played generally with his hand down. "He is non-stop," another scout said. "You'd have to shoot him to stop him. He does not rush the passer like Jarvis (Jones). He runs down the middle (of blockers) too much. But you can knock him down and he's back up like a ball. He goes 100% every play." Finished with 119 tackles (29 for loss), 15 sacks and seven "big" plays in 40 games (just 15 starts). From West Monroe, La. "He's kind of a narrow-waisted, V-shaped body," a third scout said. "He's not going to be 255 or 260. He's an outside backer. The comparison I'd make would be Kamerion Wimbley. This kid didn't make a ton of plays. He was close but no cigar a lot of times. That will be him a little bit in the NFL initially."

3. JARVIS JONES, Georgia (6-2½, 249, 4.89, 1) - Fourth-year junior. "Remember Terrell Suggs?" one scout said. "This is a similar situation. Suggs ran 4.85 and this kid ran 4.95. I don't care what people say about his speed. He is a great pass rusher. He's very quick in a short area. He has innate balance and body control. He really knows how to use his hands. He's street-smart savvy is what he is. He can function in coverage because he's a great athlete. Don't ever forget that about him. And he's an OK kid." Played eight games at Southern California in 2009 before doctors discovered he had a cervical condition (spinal stenosis). Eventually, he transferred to Georgia; he's from Columbus, Ga. Played 34 games (26 start), finishing with 168 tackles (45½ for loss), 28 sacks and 12 "big" plays. "He just wins because he's a great athlete," another scout said. "If you want somebody that can make a bunch of plays on the line of scrimmage, that's him. He'll strangle the tight end. He's not a very bright kid (Wonderlic of 13). He doesn't run well and he's not a very good worker other than game day." Tested poorly in the vertical jump (30½ inches), broad jump (9-3) and bench press (20 reps). Was an all-state prep basketball player. "I don't trust him," a third scout said. "He's slow afoot and he plays slow afoot, too. He is very tough. Jarvis is a typical (University of) Georgia kid that is naïve. He's just country."

4. DAMONTRE MOORE, Texas A&M (6-4½, 260, 4.95, 1-2) - Third-year junior won't turn 21 until September. "Still growing into his body," one scout. "He's really a great effort kid. He's a strange kid, but he makes a lot of plays. He has a feel for rushing." Backed up Von Miller in 2010, started at OLB in '11 and played both LE and RE in '12. "Is he a really good player? No," another scout said. "He's a good player with some potential depending on what kind of person he is. He played down (in '12), but I suspect he can stand up. He's athletic enough to do that. He got some gimme sacks." Finished with 197 tackles (45 for loss), 26½ sacks and 10 "big" plays. "He's more talented than Jarvis Jones," a third scout said. "You watch the tape, hell of a player. Off the field, he's got a lot of issues." Sat out the '12 opener after being arrested for marijuana possession. At the combine, one scout said Moore didn't appear to take interviews seriously. Wonderlic of 18. "Nobody spoke a good word about him at Texas A&M," said a fourth scout. "He's surly. Opinionated. Inner city Dallas. I don't know if he will (work)."

5. JAMIE COLLINS, Southern Mississippi (6-3½, 250, 4.62, 2) - Prep QB moved to safety and finally to LB-DE in 2010. "He has major athletic ability," said one scout of Collins' LB-leading vertical jump (41½) and broad jump (11-7). "Tested off the charts. He played walkaway outside backer and as a defensive end. He can be a 'will' in a 4-3, a 'will' in a 3-4 or a 3-4 rush backer. But he's not very smart (Wonderlic of 17)." Played far better as a junior than for a winless team in '12. "He dogged it this year," another scout said. "He hated the staff, and probably was right in doing so. Need to watch junior tape. He's very athletic but not physical. Hit or miss, feast or famine." Started 34 of 51 games, finishing with 314 tackles (46 for loss), 16 sacks and 15 "big" plays (eight forced fumbles). Had three defensive TDs. "I don't think he's a bad kid," a third scout said. "But sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall. It's not that he lacks toughness. Sometimes he just disappears." From McCall Creek, Miss. "They were an awful team, and he wasn't the solution," said a fourth scout. "He was the problem. Low motor. Has tremendous up side. I don't normally bet on guys like that, but people do. He'll be gone in the first three rounds."

6. SIO MOORE, Connecticut (6-1, 243, 4.65, 2-3) - Three-year starter. "The best thing about him is he's a nickel linebacker and can play coverage," one scout said. "He does get engulfed when he's in a lot of traffic. He's more of a traditional 'will' in that he benefits from protection. He is short, which I don't like, but he is fairly stout. He's got pass-rush skill. I wouldn't disqualify him from being on my team because of character, but he's got some hangups that need investigation." In 41 games (31 starts), he had 274 tackles (44 for loss), 16 sacks and 11 "big" plays. "Plays best as a three-point rusher," another scout said. "Take-on is OK but he prefers to run around blocks. But when they put him (wide) the guy can rush the passer. I don't know what to do with him." From Apex, N.C.

7. GERALD HODGES, Penn State (6-1, 236, 4.73, 3) - Shifted from safety to LB in 2009 and went on to start 26 of 46 games. "He's like NaVorro Bowman," one scout said. "People didn't like NaVorro Bowman. This guy is instinctive and can play in space. He just needs to tackle a little bit stronger. He tackles now, but at times he gets dragged. He covers well. Runs easy. Can rush the passer." Finished with 249 tackles (21 for loss), 5½ sacks and five "big" plays. "I wanted him to be better in coverage for a guy that came as a safety," another scout said. "Wouldn't mind having the guy in a rotation. He's athletic enough to be a 'will' and strong enough to be a 'sam.' " From Paulsboro, N.J.

8. TREVARDO WILLIAMS, Connecticut (6-1, 241, 4.58, 3) - Started 30 games at DE but probably too short to play there in the NFL. "The league is always looking for the prototype Dion Jordan angular guy," Savage said. "But the reality is, James Harrison was barely 6-0, and (Elvis) Dumervil is 5-11. There are some short guys who are doing it." Led OLBs on the bench press with 30 reps. "He can really close," one scout said. "There will be something he can do." Finished with 134 tackles (40½ for loss), a whopping 30½ sacks and six "big" plays. "He is really fast but he is straight line, which 3-4 guys are allowed to be," said another scout. "Great kid. Not very smart (Wonderlic of 14) but he will give you everything he has." From Bridgeport, Conn.

9. ZAVIAR GOODEN, Missouri (6-1½, 228, 4.49, 3-4) - Another converted safety. "He probably ran the fastest of all the linebackers at the combine, and he was bigger than we thought, too," said one scout. "He's a 'will' in a 4-3. He doesn't take on. Not as good production as (Tampa Bay's) Lavonte David, but he's just as good athletically if not better." Started 36 of 49 games on the weak side, finishing with 256 tackles (20½ for loss), four sacks and 12 "big" plays. "He's a special-teamer," a third scout said. "A run-like-a-deer, no-instincts guy." Paced leading OLBs on the Wonderlic with 25. Home is Pflugerville, Texas.

10. KHASEEM GREENE, Rutgers (6-1, 240, 4.72, 4) - Started at FS in 2010 before moving to OLB in '11. "He plays pretty hard and he's physical," one scout said. "For an undersized guy, he is not a very good coverage player. Doesn't really have a good mental feel for the game. Just doesn't show any awareness. Really good kid. He plays fast; he doesn't play like a blur." Put up enormous numbers in 51 games (39 starts). Had 387 tackles (32½ for loss), 11½ sacks and 27 "big" plays, including an NCAA-record 15 forced fumbles. "He's a chase-and-space guy," another scout said. "I don't like him." From Elizabeth, N.J.

OTHERS: Jelani Jenkins, Florida; Nathan Williams, Ohio State; Sean Porter, Texas A&M; Stansly Maponga, Texas Christian; DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina; Lerentee McCray, Florida; TyAnthony Powell, Harding (Ark.); Chase Thomas, Stanford; Keith Pough, Howard; Brandon Magee, Arizona State; Travis Long, Washington State; Mike Taylor, Wisconsin.

Top Bottom