Watkins: Joseph Randle fills in for DeMarco Murray

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Joseph Randle fills in for DeMarco Murray

October, 20, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray was out for this early season NFC East contest against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday with a sprained left knee. The replacement, for now and in the possible future, is rookie Joseph Randle, a fifth-round pick from Oklahoma State.

It was Randle who rushed for 65 yards on 19 carries, including 13 in the fourth quarter of a 17-3 victory. Who knew that Randle would have more rushing yards than the NFL's leading rusher, LeSean McCoy of the Eagles, who finished with 55 yards on 18 carries?

"It felt really good and I got more comfortable as the game progressed," Randle said of his first start. "First half was a little slow but then we got moving well on offense. I think I ran the ball well North to South down the field but there are always things you would like to do better."

Randle wasn't dazzling, but solid enough to give the Cowboys confidence he can maintain a starting role before Murray gets back.

Sunday, the Cowboys continued the use of five receiver sets, shotgun formations and numerous passes, Tony Romo threw 47 times, to ease the pressure on Randle. Another backup running back, Phillip Tanner, was used on some third down plays for pass protection, but Randle did a nice job with that as well.

"We did a little bit of things," Romo said. "I think more than anything we dictated how they were playing different things. I thought they did a good job, Tanner and Randle really played well today, (Randle) going to help us. I don't think it was too big for him. I thought he ran hard and I thought he was pretty good on the blocking assignments. We'll have to see it when we watch the tape but it was good to see."

There are all sorts of injuries to the running back position.

Murray is out, backup Lance Dunbar (hamstring) is nicked up and it left the Cowboys with just two healthy players at the position. In the offseason, the Cowboys, knowing Murray has durability issues, he's never played a full NFL season, drafted Randle with the goal of using him as a starter. In training camp, Dunbar and Tanner emerged as solid players the Cowboys could depend on for various things from third down, special teams and in Dunbar's case, a change of pace.

It left Randle on the sidelines early in the season waiting his time until Murray's injury last week against Washington thrust him into a starting role.

"I think Randle can really early the openings in the line and he understands his responsibilities more and more every week," Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. "I thought he played really well today."

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was happy with him today. He made a couple of really nice catches. He was fine today.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Tony Romo threw 47 times, to ease the pressure on Randle.

yea because any other Sunday we're usually much more balanced :lol

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo threw 47 times, to ease the pressure on Randle.

yea because any other Sunday we're usually much more balanced :lol
No shit. I suppose all the weeks previous he has been easing the pressure on Murray.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He looked comfortable on some of the zone runs, made a few nice blitz pickups and had a few decent enough catches. You don't want him starting but he looks like a decent backup.

Cotton

Staff member
Murray could return soon, but Cowboys confident in Randle
BY TOM ORSBORN : Monday, October 21, 2013

PHILADELPHIA – It doesn’t look like Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray will be out for long.

Team owner Jerry Jones said after Sunday’s 17-3 win at Philadelphia that Murray could return as soon as next weekend in Detroit, where the Cowboys will look to hike their winning streak to three games against another team with a 4-3 record.

“I think there’s a good chance,” Jones said of Murray possibly facing the Lions after missing the Eagles game with a sprained left knee.

“Murray’s a dominant back out there. It takes its toll on the defense when he’s out there. I think we’re in great shape at running back.”

With Murray watching from the sideline at Lincoln Financial Field, rookie Joseph Randle got the start and cranked out 65 yards on 19 carries. The fifth-round pick from Oklahoma State also had three catches for 28 yards.

“It felt really good and I got more comfortable as the game progressed,” Randle said. “First half was a little slow, but then we got moving well on offense. I think I ran the ball well north to south down the field, but there are always things you would like to do better.”

Understanding that Murray is injury prone, Randle said he’s ready for more work.

“I’m able to carry the full load for the full season, if they ask me to do that,” Randle said.

Jones and quarterback Tony Romo expressed confidence in Randle.

“Randle understands his responsibilities more and more every week,” Jones said. “He played really well today.”

Said Romo, “(Randle) is going to help us. I don’t think it was too big for him. He ran hard and he was pretty good on the blocking assignments. It was good to see.”

Jones is also optimistic that backup Lance Dunbar could be ready for the Detroit game. Dunbar has missed two straight games with a hamstring injury.

D

Deuce

I think his point was McCoy looked like the worse of the two RBs on Sunday.
Maybe and had he said "so was McCoy yesterday" it would have sounded different. But if he didn't mean it that way, it's time to up his dose of Aricept.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Maybe and had he said "so was McCoy yesterday" it would have sounded different. But if he didn't mean it that way, it's time to up his dose of Aricept.
Keep your Aricept sonny and pay better attention.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Pay attention to what? You said McCoy is average with is laughable retarded. Care to expand on your comment if you meant otherwise?
Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55
I think his point was McCoy looked like the worse of the two RBs on Sunday

I was being sarcastic with Ravi about the two RBs. If Randle was average what does that make McCoy. Cowboysrocks 55 got it right. I guess I am the first to use sarcasm on this forum.

Top Bottom