Archer: Cowboys call up LB Cameron Lawrence

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys call up LB Cameron Lawrence

October, 11, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys cut safety Will Allen on Tuesday they challenged members of the practice squad to earn a spot on the 53-man roster with their work in practice.

Linebacker Cameron Lawrence won the challenge.

Lawrence was signed to the active roster after Friday’s practice and will be active for Sunday’s game against the Washington Redskins.

“Hopefully I’ll be on kickoff return or kickoff, so I’ll actually be starting the game,” Lawrence said. "That’s when the intensity is high and that’s always when the stadium is loudest, too. I’ve been out there not even in pads on practice squad and chill bumps just run down my spine just itching, wishing to get out on the field. Finally got that opportunity.”

Lawrence was among the Cowboys’ final cuts in training camp and has spent the first five weeks on the practice squad. He was second on the team with 16 preseason tackles and also had a tackle for loss, quarterback pressure and pass deflection.

With injuries to Edgar Jones (groin), Lawrence will fill an immediate special-teams role. Linebacker Justin Durant has been slowed by a groin injury but practiced on Friday.

“We may be a little thin at linebacker but definitely special teams, that’s where they want me to contribute,” Lawrence said, “and I’m going to do that.”

Top Bottom