Sturm: Mizzou's Richardson would be perfect for Dallas

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mizzou's Richardson would be perfect for Dallas

Missouri Tigers defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson does a defensive drill during the NFL Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. (Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

ARCHIVE | EMAIL
Bob Sturm has hosted his half of the Bob and Dan show (12p-3p) on Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas since 1999. A native of Wisconsin, Bob has blogged on the Cowboys, Stars, and Mavericks for 6 years - or since blogging was invented. Follow him on Twitter @SportsSturm

April 17, 2013, 12:10pm

The following is the 5th in a series of draft profiles for the 1st round pick for the Dallas Cowboys. These profiles are put together with the specific needs of the Cowboys in mind, and is an attempt to examine their resumes and game tape to get an idea of who might fit in best with Dallas come draft day. Surely, circumstances will dictate what actually happens on that day, but we will profile the 8-10 most likely candidates and try to kick the tires on each and every scenario an how it relates to the Cowboys in 2013 and beyond.

Sheldon Richardson
Missouri
Defensive Tackle
6'2, 294
40 time: 4.99 Bench Press: 30 Reps

This NFL is evolving. To a point that Sheldon Richardson is one of the highly touted defensive tackles in this draft despite looking like a linebacker. He wears #34 as a defensive tackle and honestly, it doesn't even look that weird because runs like a deer.

But, it is that ultimate question in the game of football. While we evolve to better athletes at these positions that were normally reserved for the big and strong players, are we allowing our defenses to get to a point where they can be attacked physically again?

Richardson is a physical marvel who while running a reported 4.81 on his pro day also plays with great speed. He runs everywhere fast and therefore on screen plays where he must head for a sideline runs by many players who don't have his gifts. But, it is one thing to have great wheels, it is quite another to play to the whistle at all times. Does this special player have the motor that doesn't stop until the play stops? If he gets blocked initially, is he now out of the play? With Richardson, you will see the answer is "never". When a play gets past him, you will often see him running to the ball with great pursuit. Trust me, this is not always the case with defensive linemen. Never giving up on a play is a very useful and admirable trait that is important to value. And his 75 tackles as a DT indicate that he is getting in on plays that are not necessarily plays in his direction.

He has been productive at Missouri, playing 24 games in 2 seasons and finding 24.5 explosive plays (Sacks + Tackles For Loss). This ratio is strong (not great) and representative of a guy who can get where he wants to go and do something when he gets there. He also has the ability to drop back into coverage on a zone blitz concept as his movement skills are exceptional. I wouldn't recommend too much dropping of a DT into pass defense, but it at least would be available with a guy like Richardson.

His negatives are out there as well, in that he has said and done a few things that might not be everyone's (Jason Garrett) cup of tea. He missed a game as a violation of team policy and lobbed some quotes out there that indicate he is ready to battle you in the media, too.

But, those items don't concern me too much. What does make me wonder is if this type of player can help you go through the physical teams that wish to ground and pound you. For instance, when we look at guards who are strong as can be decide to double team and shove him, can he do anything to stop it? Does he have a run anchor in physical play or is he simply a penetrating athlete who never stops running? What does he do when Seattle or San Francisco are going to run right at him?

This is nit-picking, for sure, but you hate to draft a 1st Rounder who has a weakness that might make him a target for game-plans because of a weakness. However, there is a give-and-take with regards to skill sets. If a guy cannot be moved in the running game, he is not likely to have much effect in the backfield. Conversely, if a guy has the athletic talents to penetrate and blow plays up deep in the backfield, then he is likely to not have the anchor to stand in there and hold his ground. If a guy can do both, he is Vince Wilfork.

But, Richardson is a magnificent specimen who will impress you with his film - in particular, a 14 tackle, 1 sack performance against Alabama below.

Here are some youtube cut-ups for your own personal eye-ball test. Find the DT who wears #92 and watch:

Vs Alabama

Vs Florida

Vs South Carolina

[video=youtube;nM-Zfc5I-P8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nM-Zfc5I-P8[/video]

The Case For Dallas Taking Sheldon Richardson at #18: Richardson is clearly in that category of player that if he slides to 18, the Cowboys would likely run to the podium to take him. He has a few things that might bother you if you are picking #4, but by the time you get to the back half of the 1st Round, you are more than delighted to take on any slight risks. He is exactly the type of player the Cowboys should be targeting in that he is a defensive lineman who has position versatility and also the ability to defeat blocks and make plays in the backfield. If you consider the idea of a premium player at a real position of need and a guy who is a finished product who can step in Week 1 and cause problems for your opponents, look no further than Richardson.
The Case Against Dallas Taking Sheldon Richardson at #18: The one knock on him would be that your team is not physical enough and while he is plenty weight-room strong, I am not sure he plays as strong in the trenches all of the time. If he were to face a strong guard who has good hands, he might have a very quiet day and from that standpoint, a guy like Sylvester Williams might be more what they need. But, there is not much of a case against Sheldon Richardson. He looks like he could really have an impact right away.
In ranking him, I have him as the best DT we have looked at. I still want the both guards, first, but Richardson is a special player at a position where the Cowboys don't have much.

So far, of our 5 profiles, I would list them in this order:

1. Chance Warmack - Report Here
2. Jonathan Cooper - Report Here
3. Sheldon Richardson
4. Sylvester Williams - Report Here
5.​
Sharrif Floyd - Report Here

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Cooper and Richardson are a toss-up for me, with a gun to my head I likely go Cooper but I'd be fine either way if that is who our pick came down to.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Ourlads has Richardson as the 5th best player in the draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree with Sturm saying that Richardson has a great motor. For some reason that aspect of his game has been questioned (I'm guessing because that's the standard concern for a big, athletic guy) but from everything I've seen on YouTube he consistently chases plays down from from the backside, often 5-10 yards downfield.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
This is ridiculous. I quit watching his Alabama highlights halfway through because he wasn't doing jack nor shit. I fail to see what everyone else does and moreover, think that drafting a guy in the first round "because he never quits on a play and a lot of dt's do" is a shitty reason. I wouldn't be happy with him in the 2nd. Fuck this guy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is ridiculous. I quit watching his Alabama highlights halfway through because he wasn't doing jack nor shit. I fail to see what everyone else does and moreover, think that drafting a guy in the first round "because he never quits on a play and a lot of dt's do" is a shitty reason. I wouldn't be happy with him in the 2nd. Fuck this guy.
Ok Mr. Dramatic.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The one thing about that Alabama game, where he was going up against the best offensive line in the country, probably in years, he repeatedly smelled out and chased down misdirections and screens. Good awareness.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is ridiculous. I quit watching his Alabama highlights halfway through because he wasn't doing jack nor shit.
Alabama?

Well, they embarrassed a lot of guys.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Then why is this documentation of his highlights? Sorry, I think he sucks. I hate him more than Vaccaro.
It's not a documentation of his highlights, it's simply his gametape versus Alabama. The best OL in the county.

If you want his highlights go to youtube and look up just his highlights. They are impressive.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sturm is right though in some regards. Seems like he might lack some strength.

His positives are that he is quick especially in space. He has great recognition and runs things down on the edges, but those are better skills for a linebacker than a DT.

Inside he seems to lack push at times. I could see him disappearing occasionally in terms of pass rush, like Jay Ratliff does.

That being said, the days or La'Roi Glover and Warren Sapp getting 15 sacks from the DT position seem to be gone. You don't see that out of DTs these days. Geno Atkins led all DT's with a seemingly anamolous 12.5. Ndamukong Suh who is widely regarded as one of the best if not the best DTs in the game was next with 8. Melton, a Pro Bowler, followed that up with a grand total of 6.

So you don't see DTs racking up huge sack numbers really.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
He is quick but I don't really care if my dt's are quick. We're already a little light in the ass on the ends and I just think this guy's a poor fit for us. I'm not claiming to be some prospect video guru or anything but when I do watch highlights of players there should be something about them jumping out at you in terms of ability. I just think Richardson is going to be ordinary.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I can see where cujo is coming from, I'm a bit concerned with him only being about 290 or so lbs as well but that's kind of what this scheme calls for. He's great at shooting gaps but it seems he can be neutralized if he doesn't beat his man off the snap and/or if the OL gets their hands on him, he doesn't seem to have the power to power through and still get pressure, at least not yet.

But still, the explosiveness and ability to penetrate is not something you can easily find and that's exactly what this scheme calls for out of the 3-technique. I still want him at 18 (after Warmack/Cooper) but I definitely would want to pair him with somebody more in the 310 range at the 1-technique.

Keep in mind though that Henry Melton is just about the exact same height/weight as Richardson at 6-3, 295 and I fully trust Marinelli/Kiffin if we end up drafting him, or any DL really, because that is their area of expertise.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I just want a steal from this draft. If Richardson is ranked higher than 18 on the Cowboys' board I'll be happy if they take him. Warmack and Lotulelei are pipe dreams. Somehow I can't see how Dallas gets a great player at 18. I predict good and probably good enough.

D

Deuce

I've been beating the Richardson drum since September when I thought we could steal him in the 2nd. He's a younger version, Jay Ratliff clone, IMO. Apparently cujo doesn't want that type of player.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I've been beating the Richardson drum since September when I thought we could steal him in the 2nd. He's a younger version, Jay Ratliff clone, IMO. Apparently cujo doesn't want that type of player.
I'll pass too if he takes the Ratliff road of being really good for two years and fading away.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think of Richardson as a very similar prospect to Fletcher Cox. I little bit shorter but their games are pretty similar in my opinion. It's probably why Schmidty likes him so much. I think Richardson would be an excellent pick at 18 but I also really like Sylvester Williams and Kawann Short. Two guys who are a little more "squatty" in my opinion and will be able to hold up against the rush a little better but are also very good at pressuring the QB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
These all sound like talented players who the Cowboys could use. Bottom line is upgrading the talent.

As for the DL-- independent of the draft-- it is missing a powerful guy to man the line at 1-technique between Ware and Ratliff/Hatcher. The rest of the DL is far less effective if that anchor is yet another quick penetrating 3-technique type player. Hatcher is a better 3-technique than 1-technique. A player, no matter how talented, is less effective if playing out of position. Playing out of position pretty much broke Jay Ratliff.

Michael Brockers would have been perfect 1-tech.

Top Bottom