Archer: Cowboys to take look at Jeff Heath

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys to take look at Jeff Heath

October, 10, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Will Allen was brought in to compete for the starting safety spot and be a solid special teams performer. He was replaced in the starting lineup by J.J. Wilcox in Week 3 and the Dallas Cowboys did not believe he was playing well on special teams, so they decided to cut the veteran on Tuesday.

They also want to take a look at Jeff Heath, the undrafted rookie who performed well in the preseason but has yet to see a defensive snap in the regular season. Heath is tied for second on the team in special teams tackles with four.

“It’s unfortunate that one of our guys had to get let go for that to happen, but I learned from Will while he was here, and I wish him the best,” Heath said. “If this means a bigger role for me and more opportunity for me, I’m ready to step up.”

Counting on an undrafted rookie to change the poor pass defense is a bit much to ask, but Heath could be part of a different look to the sub packages. Running backs and tight ends have hurt the Cowboys the last two games and Heath at least presents another option.

He had 14 tackles and a forced fumble in the preseason.

“I’m just going to handle it like I would any other game,” Heath said. “I feel like I’ve prepared every week to where if my number was called, I’d be ready to go. I’m just going to continue to do that. Not get too anxious or worked up, because at the end of the day, it’s just another day. I just have to go perform.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can't be any worse than Allen was.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm ok with Allen being gone, but he certainly was not the weak link of the defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Safety Jeff Heath is ready for more of an opportunity on defense

Jeff Heath made the roster as an undrafted rookie free agent. A core special teams player, he has played in all five games. Now, with Will Allen's departure, Heath might get a chance to play some safety.

Jason Garrett mentioned Heath's name Wednesday when asked about Allen's release.

"J.J. Wilcox has been our starter for the last couple of weeks, and Jeff Heath has been a guy who has really emerged throughout training camp and the early part of this season, so we want to give those guys an opportunity to play,” Garrett said.

Heath has played only 15 plays on defense -- all in mop-up duty against the Rams. He said he is practicing at both strong and free safety.

"It is a big opportunity," Heath said. "I talked to the defensive back coach [Jerome Henderson on Wednesday], and he basically just said they want to see me play more and see what I can do. It’s unfortunate that one of our guys had to get let go for that to happen. But I learned from Will while he was here, and I wish him the best. If this means a bigger role for me and more opportunity for me, I’m ready to step up."

Heath has played 94 special teams snaps, with a fumble recovery and four tackles.

"I’ll still be on special teams," Heath said. "That’ll be the No. 1 priority every week, because that’s what I’m going to be doing every week for sure."

-- Charean Williams

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Guy has good speed but the scouting on him wasn't all that favorable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really need to see what we got in that undrafted white safety rookie...

In all honesty I have no problem with Allen being gone. He was ok in coverage and bad in run support. I wish McCray was gone two years ago. At no point am I making moves on the roster though to try and get Heath more playing time. If he is good enough to play he would be already.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Really need to see what we got in that undrafted white safety rookie...

In all honesty I have no problem with Allen being gone. He was ok in coverage and bad in run support. I wish McCray was gone two years ago. At no point am I making moves on the roster though to try and get Heath more playing time. If he is good enough to play he would be already.
Exactly, why do you need to dump (not that I'm against dumping him) Allen to play Heath?

RHG: Uhhh... I think we must cut Allen, I really want to see what Heath can do and old man tells me to play his FA...
or
JJ: We need to play Heath, cut Allen so RHG don't try to play a better player...

:picard

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Lotuseater

Banned
Except that allen sucked. Wgas. Heath is younger and that's about it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Except that allen sucked. Wgas. Heath is younger and that's about it.
Really the only thing that should bother anyone is that we didn't cut the worst safety on the roster. Speaking of that, has everyone noticed the dominant special teams performances we have been getting out of McCray this season...

Lotuseater

Banned
I didn't think mccray still played for dallas.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He shouldn't. He is overrated on special teams and worse than useless on defense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Really the only thing that should bother anyone is that we didn't cut the worst safety on the roster. Speaking of that, has everyone noticed the dominant special teams performances we have been getting out of McCray this season...

Agreed on all counts.

Top Bottom