Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys Intent On Turning The Page After Bitter Ending

Posted 28 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas
– The “24-hour rule” has officially ended for a Cowboys team that watched a potential win slip away from an undefeated Broncos group that hadn’t lost a regular season game since Week 5 of last year.

Head coach Jason Garrett and the Cowboys know they can’t dwell on the deflating feeling they had watching the Broncos kick a game-winning field goal with no time remaining. After all, they have two straight division opponents on the horizon the next two weeks.

“It’s the challenge,” Garrett said. “The challenge every week is to go to the next game, whether you won a game by a lot of points, lost a game by a lot of points or won or lost a game by a close margin, you have to process the game on Monday and go forward. We have a 24-hour rule for a reason. Somehow, some way you’ve got to shake it off.”

It can be tough to shake a loss like that, even against an opponent as formidable as the Broncos. The Cowboys had the ball with two minutes remaining in a tie game in the fourth quarter.
But with the Redskins this week and the Eagles next week, and while still sitting atop the NFC East at 2-3, letting the disappointment linger could lead to disaster

“The focus is on Washington, obviously,” Garrett said. “We process this ballgame. We did our scouting report for the Redskins already with our players. You get your eyes moving forward. They’ll be a great challenge for us. They’re a great football team.”

Linebacker Sean Lee was as vocal as any defensive player about how disappointed he was in himself and the defense after Sunday’s loss, in which the Cowboys allowed 51 points. Turning the page after a loss like may be difficult for the whole team, but particularly the defense.

Lee said right now it’s about staying as positive as possible. He said the defensive players are mentally tough enough to put the dreadful performance against the league’s best team and quarterback behind them.

“After the way we played last night, we’re all very, very frustrated,” he said. “But we have to find a way, obviously, to get better, because we’re still in a position where we can win football games.”
Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher said it can be easier to refocus with a division opponent on the slate.

Just how quickly does he think the Cowboys need to turn the page?

“Like right now, ASAP, because we’ve got another good quarterback coming in here,” Hatcher said. “He’s another top five quarterback, so we’ve got to be ready, prepared, especially because it’s a division game. We’ve really got to win this one.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hatcher just called Griffin "another top 5 QB"?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I assume you mean Rodgers instead of Rivers? Brady isn't a top 5 QB anymore, either. He was brutally awful yesterday.
Oh yes he is. He is dealing with trash at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I assume you mean Rodgers instead of Rivers? Brady isn't a top 5 QB anymore, either. He was brutally awful yesterday.
Brady is not top five based off a rain game and perhaps one of the worst WRs around him his entire career? Wow.

Who are your top five?

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Brady is not top five based off a rain game and perhaps one of the worst WRs around him his entire career? Wow.

Who are your top five?
Peyton
Rodgers
Brees
Luck
Brady

I guess he slips in at #5, but you can make a pretty strong case for Russell Wilson over him at this point. Wilson doesn't exactly have any real offensive weapons in the passing game either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Hatcher is just talking nonsense, Griffin isn't even top 10 so far this year, maybe not even top 15.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Hatcher is just talking nonsense, Griffin isn't even top 10 so far this year, maybe not even top 15.
It's early in the season, but if you rank the QBs by quarterback rating right now, it would be:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tony Romo
3. Philip Rivers
4. Drew Brees
5. Aaron Rogers
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jake Locker
8. Terrelle Pryor
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Andrew Luck
11. Jay Culter
12. Russell Wilson
13. Michael Vick
14. Sam Bradford
15. Ryan Tannehill
16. Robert Griffin III

Now clearly QB rating doesn't tell you everything, but it is interesting. The other thing I noted is that Robert Griffin has a QB rating of 85.5. There are 6 QBs with ratings over 100. Now I suspect that will drop when the weather improves but either we're in some golden age of QB talent or it's just become too easy to throw for 300 yards...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's early in the season, but if you rank the QBs by quarterback rating right now, it would be:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tony Romo
3. Philip Rivers
4. Drew Brees
5. Aaron Rogers
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jake Locker
8. Terrelle Pryor
9. Matthew Stafford
10. Andrew Luck
11. Jay Culter
12. Russell Wilson
13. Michael Vick
14. Sam Bradford
15. Ryan Tannehill
16. Robert Griffin III

Now clearly QB rating doesn't tell you everything, but it is interesting. The other thing I noted is that Robert Griffin has a QB rating of 85.5. There are 6 QBs with ratings over 100. Now I suspect that will drop when the weather improves but either we're in some golden age of QB talent or it's just become too easy to throw for 300 yards...
QB rating sucks as a stat. It was designed in a much different era and emphasizes things that almost every modern QB is decent at because the rules are so favorable nowadays (like completion percentage). The ESPN one (total QBR or something like that) is a better measure.

For me, I look at two key stats - TD to INT ratio and yards per attempt.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is because they are letting DBs get away with murder and are hardly consistent with how they call games. Even watching that game last night, there was so much pushing and grabbing, plus the kind of pick plays the Cowboys were bitching about, it wasn't funny. The refereeing has become atrocious...probably by mandate to make things "exciting".

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's way, waaaaaaaaay to easy. The rules have changed to tilt the scales almost entirely in favor of the offense.

Dan Marino has a career passer rating of like 84.4. Troy Aikman 82.1. John Elway is 79.5 or something.

Sam Bradford, Michael Vick and Terrelle Prior are all way above that right now.

Yeah, it's the era we're in.

Top Bottom