NFL Broadcaster Pat Summerall Dies

Carp

DCC 4Life
(RNN) - Pat Summerall, the sports broadcaster with a distinct voice and distinct style who for years had a famous on-air pairing with John Madden, has died, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Summerall, who lived in Texas, was 82 years old.

Summerall retired from sports broadcasting in 2002, also the year he worked the last of 16 Super Bowls.

Prior to his broadcasting career, Summerall played 10 years in the NFL as a placekicker. He was a 1953 graduate of the University of Arkansas, where he also played defensive end and tight end.

Summerall leaves behind his wife, Cheri, and he also had three children with his first wife, Kathy.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.
--------------------------
RIP

I caught a game he and Madden called back in the day on NFL Network...they made ever game so big.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His voice doing a game was the best. RIP

dallen

Senior Tech
damn. His voice is football.

Pat Summerall, legendary NFL broadcaster, dies at 82

Pat Summerall, legendary NFL broadcaster, dies at 82

Pat Summerall spent 10 years in the NFL as a player. He spent another 40 years describing the game he loved as one of the sport's iconic broadcasters.
NFL Exposure
Pat Summerall through the years
Take a look back at Pat Summerall's NFL career.

On Tuesday, Summerall passed away at the age of 82, Fox Sports spokesman Dan Bell confirmed to NFL.com and NFL Network.

Summerall worked in a record 16 Super Bowls, showing incredible versatility. He transitioned from an analyst early in his career to a play-by-play man with his classic, understated style. Summerall called games on CBS from 1961 to 1993 and then moved to Fox. The last championship game he called for Fox was on Feb. 3, 2002.

Summerall primarily was a kicker during his 10-year career with the Detroit Lions, Arizona Cardinals and then some terrific New York Giants teams from 1958 to 1961. Summerall was the Giants' kicker in the "Greatest Game Ever Played," the 1958 NFL Championship.

He's certainly in the discussion as one of the greatest broadcasters the game has ever seen, too.

----------------------
Wow, I always enjoyed his commentary, RIP!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've missed him on Sundays and will continue to miss him.

I hope he wasn't in pain and had a chance to get "Hammered!" one more time before passing away.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Rip, goat.
Absolutely......Summerall is most definitely the greatest sports commentator ever.

He was the very best and when he was at his peak, his voice alone told you it was a big game.

It is an added bonus for me that he was at his very best when the Cowboys were in the middle of the their dynasty.

RIP, great one.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That voice, that intro.....it just doesn't get better than CBS NFC coverage with Summerall at the helm:

"The new year is only 37 hours old, yet the game of the year has already arrived"

Only Summerall would be behind something like that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I still take Al Michaels over him.
Michaels is great and he's good at multiple sports to boot, but there's just something about Summerall.

Maybe it's just nostalgia from my teenage years and the Cowboys good old days, but no one did football better, IMO.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Michaels IS great, but there is just something about him that annoys the F out of me.

I don't hate him, in fact I do like him in doses, but I'll take Summerall over him for sure.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I hope you guys don't take for granted the greatness of Joe Buck now that Pat has passed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just like Michaels better...probably due to multiple sports. Marv Albert though is right there.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Michaels IS great, but there is just something about him that annoys the F out of me.

I don't hate him, in fact I do like him in doses, but I'll take Summerall over him for sure.
Same.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just like Michaels better...probably due to multiple sports. Marv Albert though is right there.
Marv Alberts is to basketball what Summerall was to football.

Actually, Marv is a good football guy too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I hope Michaels takes a big crap on his grave.

Top Bottom