Cowboys could draft a receiver, though they have high hopes for Harris and Beasley

Carp

DCC 4Life
By Charean Williams

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Overview

This class is lacking an A.J. Green or a Calvin Johnson, but it offers some intriguing talent. It is a rare sight but the first receiver drafted could be a slot receiver in West Virginia’s Tavon Austin. There could be a run on receivers late in the first round, with potentially five going on the first day. Like the running back position, excellent value exists in every round, especially the second and third rounds. Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson is the most intriguing prospect.

Cowboys’ needs

Dez Bryant, who struggled to stay healthy his first two seasons, came into his own the last half of 2012. In the final eight games, Bryant had 50 receptions for 879 yards and 10 touchdowns, scoring at least once in nine of the last 10 games. Bryant should have earned his first Pro Bowl, but if he does what he hopes to this season, he won’t go unnoticed. Bryant recently said he is capable of being the NFL’s first 2,000-yard receiver. Hamstring tightness continued to dog Miles Austin, who had only two 100-yard games in 2012. Dwayne Harris stepped up enough in the final seven games, catching 17 passes for 222 yards and a touchdown, that the Cowboys are comfortable with him as the No. 3 receiver. Kevin Ogletree, who lost the No. 3 job each of the past two seasons, left for the Tampa Bay Bucs. Dallas thinks highly of Cole Beasley, but they could draft a receiver in the mid to late rounds.

Top five

Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee, 6-2, 216, 4.42: He set an SEC single-season record with a combined return average of 27.6 yards, and gained 1,858 all-purpose yards.

Tavon Austin, West Virginia, 5-9, 174, 4.34: His size is a concern, but he was one of the most exciting players in college football with 2,910 all-purpose yards last season.

DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson, 6-1, 214, 4.51: He topped the ACC with 1,405 yards on 82 catches and scored 18 touchdowns.

Keenan Allen, California, 6-2, 206, 4.53: He made 61 catches for 737 yards and six touchdowns before missing the final three games with a knee injury.

Robert Woods, USC, 6-1, 201, 4.42: He had 252 career catches for 2,930 yards and 32 touchdowns, and averaged 24.8 as a kickoff returner.

Sleeper

Denard Robinson, Michigan, 5-11, 199, 4.34: A quarterback at Michigan, scouts are unsure what he’ll play in the NFL.

Top Texas ties

Terrance Williams, Baylor, 6-2, 208, 4.48: Projected as a second-round pick, he led the nation in receiving yards (1,832) and receiving yards per game (140.9).

Ryan Swope, Texas A&M, 6-0, 205, 4.34: He could be a third-round steal after making 233 catches for 2,948 yards and 23 touchdowns the past three seasons.

Marquise Goodwin, Texas, 5-9, 183, 4.27: The Olympian, projected as a third-round pick, averaged 62.1 all-purpose yards per game last season.

Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas, 6-2, 212, 4.50: The Texas High product, projected as a fourth-round pick, set UA records with 90 catches for 1,335 yards last season.

Josh Boyce, TCU, 5-11, 206, 4.38: He is the school’s all-time leader in touchdown catches with 22 and is second in receiving yards (2,535) and third in receptions (161).

Source: Heights, weights and 40 times were compiled from NFL Draft Scout.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why would they have high hopes for Shrimp Beasley?

I can think of five little white guys in this draft that are probably better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why would they have high hopes for Shrimp Beasley?

I can think of five little white guys in this draft that are probably better.

D

Deuce

Beasley sucks, but Harris could be good. I would love to get Austin and roll with him, Dez and Harris as the top 3 WRs.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Beasley is going to be this year's Laurent.

Bradie Bottle Lock that shit, suckas.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I've had high hopes for Harris even before the 2012 season began.

He had all the fundamental tools and it was just a matter of whether the game would click for him.

He can easily be a 600 yard 5 TD guy as a 3rd receiver, but I actually think he has enough talent to contribute even more.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas could easily draft a WR as early as the 1st round. Austin is 29, Harris is 25, and Bryant and Coale are 24, but three of the four have battled injuries and the group greatly lacks for speed. A guy like Tavon Austin (in spite of adding the weirdness of having two Austins on the same team) would be a big time shot in the arm for the offense given his sub 4.4 speed.

One of the biggest reasons defenders have the freedom to blitz Romo relentlessly is no one in the Cowboys offense has the speed to make defenses pay. Sure Romo can get the ball out and Witten gets a first down, but the odds are he'll be tackled immediately and you'll stop the Cowboys sooner or later on a given drive by blitzing.

Even when defenders don't blitz, they can crowd the line (and stuff the run) because no one has the speed to get behind them when they do.

If the top two WR's are legitimately ranked higher in talent than Fluker, then Dallas should take one of them instead of Fluker.

SfielDallas

Brand New Member
Terrible article. Robinson is getting awful reviews. I want no part of Austin. In fact, give me Hunter, Hopkins, Patton, Wheaton, and Patteron as best five. Even bailey...

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
please no drafting tavon austin. We need beef on the OL/DL. Picking a safety in the first two rounds is acceptable as well

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Austin will not be there at 18 but if he is I'd either ask for a ransom in a trade down or take him, assuming Warmack/Cooper were not there.

A better version of him is coming out in 2 years anyway in Stefon Diggs.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I like Austin a bunch but we need some linemen.

Swope in the middle rounds would make me happy. I'd be OK with a 3rd depending on who is there.

Top Bottom