MacMahon: For Romo, fine line means fewer turnovers

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For Romo, fine line means fewer turnovers

September, 25, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – When it comes to cutting down his turnovers, it’s a matter of time for Tony Romo.

At this point in his career, it really doesn’t have much to do with the maturation process for the 33-year-old Romo. He’s had seasons in which he limited his picks and still made a lot of plays.

As far as Romo is concerned, the key is the time he is afforded to sit in the pocket.

After tying for the league lead with 19 interceptions last season, Romo renewed his vow to make protecting the ball a priority. He’s followed that up throwing only one pick in the first few games and points to improved protection as the primary reason for his safer decision-making.

“You’re not throwing as many balls under duress in a football game,” Romo said. “That’s an important aspect for a quarterback. You’ve seen some other teams across the league go through that a little bit with some pretty good quarterbacks who just have that half-a-second less time to make their decisions.”

Romo didn’t mention any names, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out which quarterback he had in mind. Just look who has thrown the most picks this season.

That’s two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning, whose eight interceptions lead the league by two through three games. Not coincidentally, the Giants have allowed 11 sacks, matching the Philadelphia Eagles for the most in the NFC.

Meanwhile, Romo’s lone pick was the result of a mental mistake by a rookie receiver. He’s as comfortable in the pocket behind the Cowboys’ remodeled offensive line as he’s been in years and made a point to mention that he has the luxury to get through all his reads without having to rush.

“The ability to not necessarily get through them as fast as I would have to previously, I can see the difference sometimes in that,” said Romo, who has been sacked six times this season. “It’s been a little bit, not having to make as many decisions under duress and trying to move the football under those circumstances. The best teams in the league, the teams that go on and give themselves a chance later in the year, they have quarterbacks who are able to get through progressions at a normal speed.”

Those quarterbacks have a fighting chance to follow through on promises to cut down on their picks.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo also had a back-breaking lost fumble holding onto the damned ball too long.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mendez: Romo says best teams have QBs who get time to go through reads at normal pace

Mendez: Romo says best teams have QBs who get time to go through reads at normal pace

Romo says best teams have QBs who get time to go through reads at normal pace, which is happening for him now

Tony Romo said he can tell the offensive line is better this year just because he has more time.

And that means he is making fewer decisions “under duress.”

“There have been several cases where I’ve been able to get through – I’ll get through reads pretty quickly, normally – but the ability to not necessarily get through them as fast as I would have to previously, I can see the difference sometimes in that,” he said. “It’s been, a little bit, not having to make as many decisions under duress and trying to move the football under those circumstances.”

Romo has been intercepted only once this year. He has been sacked six times. He has a quarterback rating of 103.9, fifth in the NFL.

“The best teams in the league, the teams that go on and give themselves a chance later in the year, they have quarterbacks who are able to get through progressions at normal speed,” Romo said, talking to reporters Wednesday at Valley Ranch. “That’s what you’re trying to do.”

The Cowboys have almost entirely changed out the interior linemen from last season, when Romo threw 19 interceptions, was sacked 36 times and finished with a quarterback rating of 90.5, 10th in the league.

Travis Frederick is the new center, Ron Leary is the new left guard, and this week, Brian Waters will likely take over full-time at right guard. Last year, the Cowboys played with Phil Costa and Ryan Cook at center, Nate Livings at left guard and Mackenzy Bernadeau at right guard.

The improvement in the interior line has allowed more variety in the offense, Romo said.

“In the past, we weren’t necessarily able to do some stuff that you wanted to, and you kind of had to manufacture a different way sometimes,” he said. “It could work sometimes, but it could also get you in trouble at other times.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Romo also had a back-breaking lost fumble holding onto the damned ball too long.
Yea I've noticed that he seems to be holding onto it alot longer sometimes, which is odd since at other times he usually gets it out extremely quickly. I'm not really sure what that's about because he hasn't really been one to hold onto it too long over his career so hopefully it stops soon.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yea I've noticed that he seems to be holding onto it alot longer sometimes, which is odd since at other times he usually gets it out extremely quickly. I'm not really sure what that's about because he hasn't really been one to hold onto it too long over his career so hopefully it stops soon.
He had a real problem with it early in his career and it seems every season he takes some sacks he shouldn't. I guess that's not a surprise given how many pass attempts he takes, but my biggest complaint about him has been he never just gets rid of the football when he should.

data

Forbes #1
Just wait until the inevitable 3-INT meltdown game.

Maybe Marinelli can put a cigar in his locker.

Top Bottom