Archer: Cowboys need right kind of tight end in draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Cowboys need right kind of tight end in draft[/h]April, 15, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys have one of the best tight ends in football in Jason Witten. With James Hanna, the Cowboys think they have a player who can be a mismatch for linebackers or safeties.

As the Cowboys enter the draft, they need to find another tight end. The only other tight ends on the roster are Colin Cochart and Andre Smith. Cochart had a cup of coffee with the club last year but didn’t play in a game. Smith was a late addition to the practice squad.

To a degree the Cowboys have wasted second-round picks on tight ends with Anthony Fasano (2006) and Martellus Bennett (2008). There simply aren’t enough plays for a tight end behind Witten to justify the second-round pick unless the Cowboys want to do what New England does with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

This draft has a number of quality tight ends, but the Cowboys should not be in play for a Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz, considered the top two at the position. Again, it’s based on how they use their second tight end behind Witten.

You have to maximize plays per game with early picks. Unless the Cowboys switch their philosophy and move away from heavy three-wide receiver personnel looks, then it does not make sense to grab a tight end early. And it doesn’t make sense to take a “pass-catching” tight end either.

The Cowboys have to look at the “blocking” tight ends more.

They had two of those types in for top-30 visits in Rutgers’ D.C. Jefferson and Michigan State’s Dion Sims. Both players are considered solid blocking prospects, with Sims more highly regarded. Another option is Alabama’s Michael Williams.
-----------

I can think of five other positions of greater need. We only have six picks. Do the math.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we draft a TE it is a purely luxury pick. Which is fine if a TE is clearly the best player available and we aren't in the first few rounds. For the most part I'm going to be angry if we draft a TE before the fifth round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we draft a TE it is a purely luxury pick. Which is fine if a TE is clearly the best player available and we aren't in the first few rounds. For the most part I'm going to be angry if we draft a TE before the fifth round.
Even the fifth is too much. Why the hell would you spend a fifth on a blocking tight end?

Most teams' third TE...a blocker mostly...is an UDFA.

There are plenty of guys who fit the profile that will probably be seventh rounders, or not drafted at all.

Hell, you can use a third tackle in that role mostly.

It would be an incredible waste of one of six choices we have.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Even the fifth is too much. Why the hell would you spend a fifth on a blocking tight end?

There are plenty of guys who fit the profile that will probably be seventh rounders, or not drafted at all.

Sounds exactly like something we would do.

We just tendered McCray at 1.3 million when the exact same type of a player, a backup or even 3rd string safety and decent ST guy, can be had as a UDFA for around 300K a season.

It's just one of those head scratching type of moves that we're guaranteed to make.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Parnell is supposed to be crazy athletic, we could use him like that (though I think he whiffed on a goal line block in that role last year)

Carp

DCC 4Life
There are still some FA TEs who could be our 3rd...Boss, Thomas, Bajema...you don't need something special.

As an aside...looking forward to see if they do something with Hanna...love his potential.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Parnell is supposed to be crazy athletic, we could use him like that (though I think he whiffed on a goal line block in that role last year)
Ron Stone was a great goal line third TE back in the day before he went on to play a nice career with the Giants.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As an aside...looking forward to see if they do something with Hanna...love his potential.
So, you are looking forward to Garrett taking a year to figure out the guy is fast and creates matchup issues meanwhile our "blocking" draft pick plays more?

I can see that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So, you are looking forward to Garrett taking a year to figure out the guy is fast and creates matchup issues meanwhile our "blocking" draft pick plays more?

I can see that.
I can see it to, I just did not mention that because I am not a dickface dreamcrusher like some people. Let me dream.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can see it to, I just did not mention that because I am not a dickface dreamcrusher like some people. Let me dream.
Hmmm.

Dickface dreamcrusher.

I might use that as my user title.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

I think he has a lot of potential too, and I was impressed with what he gave us in his rookie season.

With that said, I gotta side with the Dickface Dreamcrusher on this one. :unsure

Garrett doesn't exactly have the best track record of getting the most out of our 2nd TE, but hopefully Callahan has more influence on the offense than I'm expecting and he turns Hanna into a real weapon for us.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am glad you find it amusing.

I am conflicted at a level I cannot describe.

Phil. Dude.

Phyllis. Chick.

Pdom. WTF....this is Bob Roberts latex angel territory and I do not want that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
TE is a pretty big need in all honesty, right near the top of the list, sandwiched between CB and ILB.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Todd Archer is a fucking douchebag. When I meet him, I shall kick his ass with enthusiastic vigor.

Top Bottom