Watkins: Cowboys weekend mailbag: Is DeMarcus Ware out of line?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys weekend mailbag: Is DeMarcus Ware out of line?

April, 14, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

We got our weekend mailbag ready to go.

Q: Mr. Watkins, please give me a response to this mock draft: Say safety is a priority to this team and I'm 100 percent with you on that one. It frustrates the heck out of me when I see mock drafts saying we're going to pick a guard or a defensive tackle. We have three great defensive tackles with Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher and Sean Lissemore. There is no need to waste your first round pick on something you already got. Whatever happen to our young guys with David arkin and Kevin Kowalski? I'm pretty sure they can step up this offseason and pick up a starting role coming into Week 1 of the 2013Dallas Cowboys season. So here is my mock draft: First round, safety Kenny Vaccaro, Second round, Alabama guard/center Barrett Jones, third-round defensive end Alex Okafor, fourth round, Ryan Swope, fifth round, Zach Line and sixth round Josh Boyd, the defensive tackle from Mississippi State. Benigno Layton (Elsa, Texas)

A: I like your first-round pick in Vacarro, if he's there at No. 18. Jones is a solid second-round choice. If you pick Jones in the second round, I doubt if Okafor will be there in round three. Not a big fan of Swope or Line in the middle rounds. I'm assuming you like them because of their ties to the state of Texas. Cowboys already have a good slot receiver on the roster, Cole Beasley and Lawrence Vickers is a good fullback, who enters the final year of his contract. I do like Boyd in the sixth because there's nothing wrong with getting depth along the defensive line.

Q: Do you think that Courtney Greene the free agent would be a good fit for the Cowboys seeing how every year they have secondary problems? Kenneth J. Schena (New Rochelle, N.Y.)

A: Considering that Greene is from New Rochelle, I can understand why you would ask this question. Greene has two problems going for him: 1. Didn't play football last year. 2. Only one interception and one forced fumble in three NFL seasons. Cowboys defensive coaches want players who force turnovers. Greene worked out for the New England Patriots late last season and didn't get signed. He's still young, 26, but I don't believe he's a good fit for the Cowboys at this time.

Q: You can blame several people for the lack of recent playoff appearances by the Cowboys, but DeMarcus Ware stopped short of blaming quarterback Tony Romo, who just signed the richest contract in franchise history. Ware needs to shut up his comment about Romo's contract and it's time to put up. Well, it's actually time for Ware to put up. He has disappeared in big games. Doug (Cleveland)

A: Ware wasn't blaming Romo for anything, he was saying the entire team needs to put up or shut up. He's right. He's probably a little frustrated by the lack of playoff success from the Cowboys. Ware is a big-time player, especially late in games. Ware has a right to say what he wants because he's considered an elite player at his position, and Romo is not.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Jesus, those were the 3 best questions they had?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The first guy is pretty much a retard. Watkins is too
I have zero doubt that Watkins wrote in to his own mailbag.

So David Arkin is a quality young guard but Matt Johnson isn't a quality young safety?

DB whores... they all think alike. You can spot it a mile away.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Jesus, those were the 3 best questions they had?
That tells you about the quality of most Cowboys fans. They tend to think like that. When people like us ask questions, they're screened out and never answered.

D

Deuce

I have zero doubt that Watkins wrote in to his own mailbag.

So David Arkin is a quality young guard but Matt Johnson isn't a quality young safety?

DB whores... they all think alike. You can spot it a mile away.
After multiple years of seeing Arkin in preseason and seeing him get abolutely no run in regular season games despite injuries and poor play, it's obvious he isn't quality.

But we can't say one way or another about Johnson yet. He had an injury plagued rookie year. He deserves a year or two to prove himself.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
But we can't say one way or another about Johnson yet. He had an injury plagued rookie year. He deserves a year or two to prove himself.
Agreed. As long as he actually gets out on the field and isn't slowed down by his hamstrings all season again. If that's a chronic problem I would rather move on sooner rather than later.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
After multiple years of seeing Arkin in preseason and seeing him get abolutely no run in regular season games despite injuries and poor play, it's obvious he isn't quality.

That's my point. The idiot in this email is already writing off Matt Johnson by deducing that we need Vaccaro, but he's quick to rely on Arkin at guard.

It makes no sense to do this because Johnson actually has some potential whereas Arkin is a bust.

The reason the emailer approaches it this way is because he's a DB whore. He's irrationally in love with stockpiling assets in the secondary and so he fabritcates scenarios (either deliberately or out of a deliberate ignorance) to make it seem like his lunatic devotion to pouring first rounder after first rounder into the DBs makes sense.

Including the distortion of reality that Matt Johnson doesn't deserve a look but that David Arkin and Kevin Kowalski are young players with starting upside.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
No, seriously dude. Arkin's been around long enough. He should have that starter's spot sealed up by Week 1.

That's what the Cowboys have been doing for years, didn't you know?

They draft guys, let them sit, and they become stars in a couple years.

The rich get richer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Including the distortion of reality that Matt Johnson doesn't deserve a look but that David Arkin and Kevin Kowalski are young players with starting upside.
It's lunacy to count on any of these players to make any substantial contribution. It's a bunch of turds.

Top Bottom