Machota: DE Anthony Spencer cleared to run, ‘more hopeful’ he’ll be ready for season

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DE Anthony Spencer cleared to run, ‘more hopeful’ he’ll be ready for season opener
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
4:20 pm on August 26, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING – Dallas Cowboys defensive end Anthony Spencer has been cleared to start running and because of that, Spencer says he’s “more hopeful” he’ll be ready for the season opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 8.

Spencer had left knee surgery on July 25 and hasn’t practiced since.

On Monday, the 29-year-old Pro Bowler said he has started doing “a little resistance running” and “a little bit of change of direction” work. He’s also been riding a stationary bike, lifting weights and working on an elliptical machine.

Spencer said the plan is for him to be going full speed by next week.

But will he be in game shape when the season starts?

“The only way you really get in game shape is by playing in games,” Spencer said. “I know that will be one of the hard things, but I haven’t really struggled with conditioning through my time of playing in the NFL. I work hard and I get conditioned pretty quickly.”

Just now starting to run. He ain't making week 1.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If I had to put money down this guy will definitely be playing against the Giants, he's sandbagging this injury, he probably knew about it before camp even started.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had to put money down this guy will definitely be playing against the Giants, he's sandbagging this injury, he probably knew about it before camp even started.
Exactly I think he was timing it out so he didn't have to go through preseason and training camp. Lazy veteran in his franchise tag making sure he doesn't get hurt seriously during the meaningless stuff but knows he has to put up numbers once the season begins to get a good contract in the off season.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Exactly I think he was timing it out so he didn't have to go through preseason and training camp. Lazy veteran in his franchise tag making sure he doesn't get hurt seriously during the meaningless stuff but knows he has to put up numbers once the season begins to get a good contract in the off season.
exactly

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea definitely, I think it's very coincidental that he was looking great during like the first day or two of camp (according to these bloggers at least) and then all of a sudden he needs some minor cleanup and is out for all of TC/pre-season yet doesn't seem to be in any real danger of missing the first game.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
Can't really blame Spencer for doing this... He's trying to land his last big money contract and has to produce this season to get paid next year. It would suck to be in that position, then get a season ending injury during a preseason that our awesome GM decided we should play an extra game.

He'll be out there week one... and we need him to be motivated to cash in next year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Eh, I can see his point of view, but at the same time, he's getting $20 million over last season and this season. He has no moral obligation to get out there and get ready for the season, for that amount of money?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, I can see his point of view, but at the same time, he's getting $20 million over last season and this season. He has no moral obligation to get out there and get ready for the season, for that amount of money?
Part of me says I don't give a shit as long as he is ready to dominate once season starts. Then again though you don't want that attitude wearing off on other players. A lot of positions and players need preseason to not only get ready but to justify their starting role. I don't want everyone thinking they can sit on their ass.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
"Moral" obligation might be stretching it. The NFL is a business and he's protecting his asset-- his health. If he got hurt in the pre-season, Dallas would wave bye-bye next year and move on and not lose any sleep.

I don't think he's fabricating the injury. He legitimately was sore and opted for the surgery instead of playing through it and grinding out a TC. I'm fine with that. He didn't blow off the offseason workouts. He wants to be 100% for his contract year-- and I think that's best for him-- and also the Cowboys.

Top Bottom