Watkins: Brett Favre praises Tony Romo

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Brett Favre praises Tony Romo
April, 12, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

At the annual SMU athletic forum luncheon on Friday, retired quarterback Brett Favre praised Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo according to the Dallas Morning News.

Favre is 1-1 lifetime against Romo, losing to him when he played for the Packers and winning against Romo in a playoff game while he participated for the Vikings.

Romo, who was raised in Wisconsin and grew up a fan of Favre, has been under fire in recent years for his lack of success in the playoffs. Romo is 1-3 in the playoffs and there was some local and national criticism over the six-year $108 million contract extension he signed last week.

Favre believes the criticism is unfair.

"It’s the ultimate team sport," Favre said according to the Dallas Morning News. "I think it’s misleading to say that a quarterback has wins and losses and say he was a part of one playoff victory. I think there are a lot of factors that go into the success of not only Tony Romo but any player. Just what little bit I’ve watched the last couple of years, it seems like they were a little bit in disarray offensively. I thought he did a good job, from what I saw, of managing and making plays."

It's the making plays part, while under duress, that excites Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones, who wants the offense to utilize Romo's talents.

"Does that get you in trouble sometimes when you try to do too much? Sure it does," Favre said. "But I think I’d rather have a guy who’s willing to take those chances."

Playmaker

Brand New Member
Not exactly the kind of endorsement Romo needs. But I'm sure Booze will appreciate it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
"Does that get you in trouble sometimes when you try to do too much? Sure it does," Favre said. "But I think I’d rather have a guy who’s willing to take those chances."
It seems like this quote could also apply to him trying to rationalize/defend texting pix of his wang to that young woman that wasn't his wife.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brett Favre: Tony Romo plays less ‘recklessly’ if Dallas Cowboys play better

By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
3:35 pm on April 12, 2013 |

Former NFL quarterback Brett Favre said his approach changed throughout his career depending on the amount of talent he had around him. If the 11-time Pro Bowl selection knew he was surrounded with a talented group, he took less chances and wasn’t as much of a gunslinger on the field.
When it comes to judging Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, Favre sees it the same way.

Favre said Friday that Romo “is a very good quarterback” who shouldn’t be judged solely on having only one postseason victory.

“It’s the ultimate team sport,” said Favre, the featured speaker at an SMU athletic forum luncheon in Dallas. “I think it’s misleading to say that a quarterback has wins and losses and say he was a part of one playoff victory. I think there are a lot of factors that go into the success of not only Tony Romo but any player. Just what little bit I’ve watched the last couple of years, it seems like they were a little bit in disarray offensively. I thought he did a good job, from what I saw, of managing and making plays.
“Does that get you in trouble sometimes when you try to do too much? Sure it does. But I think I’d rather have a guy who’s willing to take those chances.”
Favre, who admitted to being a fan of Roger Staubach and the Cowboys as a youth, later said that for a quarterback, having a strong arm, good speed or ideal size aren’t as important as being a winner and a competitor, traits he sees in Romo.

“I like the way he plays,” Favre said. “I think there’s times that he’s made plays or decisions that were bad. But I think based on how the team has played or the way that the game has gone, for the most part, has kind of dictated the way his decision-making has played into it.

“I guess the way for me to explain it would be that if the Cowboys offense is going according to plan, say you’re up by 14, or you’re never out of it and your running game is OK, and you know where everyone is going to line up and you know what you’re going to get out of your defense, then I think he would probably play less recklessly. I think it just kind of falls in line with how maybe the season or the game goes.”

Favre played 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, leading them to two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl victory in 1996. He also played one season with the Atlanta Falcons, one with the New York Jets and two with the Minnesota Vikings. No NFL player has thrown more touchdown passes than Favre’s 508 and no player has thrown more interceptions than Favre’s 336.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Favre played 16 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, leading them to two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl victory in 1996. He also played one season with the Atlanta Falcons, one with the New York Jets and two with the Minnesota Vikings. No NFL player has thrown more touchdown passes than Favre’s 508 and no player has thrown more interceptions than Favre’s 336.
And no player in the league has had more back breaking, bone headed, rip-your-heart-out INTs than Favre in crunch time situations. And Romo is doing is his best to mimic that reckless behavior.

townsend

Banned
And no player in the league has had more back breaking, bone headed, rip-your-heart-out INTs than Favre in crunch time situations. And Romo is doing is his best to mimic that reckless behavior.
He has to get to an NFC championship before he can blow one. Favre didn't lose at home in the playoffs until his 12th year in the league, he's been to two conference championship games in his twilight years, while Romo was playing. That's on top of the HoF career he put together before Tony took a snap in the NFL.

Love Romo, and we'll miss him bad once he's gone, but so far he's only been copying Favre's bad seasons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He has to get to an NFC championship before he can blow one. Favre didn't lose at home in the playoffs until his 12th year in the league, he's been to two conference championship games in his twilight years, while Romo was playing. That's on top of the HoF career he put together before Tony took a snap in the NFL.

Love Romo, and we'll miss him bad once he's gone, but so far he's only been copying Favre's bad seasons.
Favre had steady coaching and talent acquisition around him for most of his career in Green Bay. His arm is also in another league than Romo's, but Romo is as creative if not more than Favre. Romo has always done more with less, and if you actually give him more (like hand him T.O. and give him decent blocking like in 2007) he'll hit TD numbers Favre only beat when he was at his peak in 95 and 96.

Top Bottom