Mendez: Staubach believes in Romo and identifies with Romo

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Staubach believes in Romo and identifies with Romo, but says he had more advantages when he played

Hall of Fame quarterback Roger Staubach has made it clear he is a big fan of Tony Romo.

He believes Romo is a franchise-quarterback who can win the Super Bowl for the Cowboys, and that Romo reminds him of himself when he was young. But he said Romo does not have the advantages he enjoyed when he was winning Super Bowls in the 1970s.

“I can’t take credit for those great teams I had,” Staubach said Thursday night after watching the Cowboys’ public practice, the “Silver and Blue Debut” at AT&T Stadium. “It was because I had a running game. I had a good offensive line. I had a lot of things working for me. But you’ve got to be good yourself, and Tony is a franchise quarterback.”

Staubach said he identifies in terms of playing style with Romo.

“I think Troy Aikman is one of the truly great quarterbacks, not only that Dallas has had, but that the NFL has had,” he said. “He’s a different quarterback than Tony and I. I think I’m closer to Tony on more moving around, moving out of the pocket, doing things. And so I think we have some similarities there. I just happened to have, I think, a more veteran team when I first took over. Then, the second part, we got lucky with the Randy Whites, we got Drew Pearson, we got Tony Hill. Tony’s getting that now with Dez Bryant. They’re really making some good draft choices.”

-- Carlos Mendez

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He also loves him the Frederick pick:
Staubach says Cowboys deserve more credit than they got for picking Travis Frederick

Roger Staubach said the Cowboys deserve more credit than they received for picking center Travis Frederick in the first round.

“Being a quarterback, you know how important a center is,” Staubach said Thursday night at the Cowboys’ “Silver and Blue Debut,” the public practice at AT&T Stadium. “For a lot of different reasons -- being strong up front, getting you the ball, knowing that you have to make a block, so you don’t have to worry about the snap. Just having a leader there in the middle, it’s a big deal.”

Staubach said Romo described Frederick to him in high terms.

“He says Frederick is as good as we expected,” Staubach said. “He said really nice things about the guy. I don’t know him. But having a center is more important than people give the Cowboys credit for when they picked.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Top Bottom