DC.COM 6 Round Mock

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DC.Com Writers Give Another Cowboys Mock (Selections 1-6)
Posted 44 minutes ago
By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – This is the time of year when mock drafts are everywhere.

Websites from all over weigh in with various opinions on where these prospects are going to end up. So each Friday, the DallasCowboys.com staff will select their own mock draft, projecting what the Cowboys will do from rounds 1-6, along with some quick analysis for their decision.

Unlike last week, where the five analysts picked four different players, this time there are five different players on each mock, including three new names to the list.

Obviously it’s still early in the process but let’s have some fun and let these guys take a stab at it:

Bryan Broaddus' Mock Analysis: For the sake of this Mock Draft I have allowed history to dictate that a guard while slide down the board to the Cowboys spot at 18 and with that move, they would be more than happy to turn the card in of Jonathan Cooper of North Carolina who in my view is the best guard in the draft. When it comes back to their selection in the second round I have them staying in the Tar Heal State and choosing running back Gio Bernard who is a shorter player but gives them some quickness out of the backfield and a different style of a back to pair with Murray. There are those that think Bennie Logan in the 3rd might be a little rich there but I don't think so and I believe the club feels the same way. The Cowboys did a private workout with him and brought him in on a visit. He could be that one technique that replaces Josh Brent. Gerald Hodges would be a nice fit as a potential Sam while Jakar Hamilton brings some toughness and coverage as a safety. CJ Johnson has outstanding timed speed and catches the ball well. He has played both inside and out so the fit is there. Again, in that round you are looking for traits to develop and he has several.

Nick Eatman's Mock Analysis: Last week, I went against the mantra I've been saying for months – and that's to draft big, especially on the offensive line. While safety is a need, hopefully that can be addressed in the second round. But if Warmack is around at No. 18, that would be a great pick. I moved Jones to the third round this week because of his injury concerns, but even if he doesn't play right away, he's got the talent to wait for. Goodwin is the pure runner that I think this team has missed for a while. Because of that track speed, he probably doesn't make it that far down to the fourth round. And while the sixth round is probably too long to wait to draft a back, there is something intriguing about Johnson. He won't be the highest back taken from his school, but he's a fireplug of a player who is a great kickoff returner and has the toughness and attitude this team could use.

Ed Cahill's Mock Analysis: In this situation I have the Cowboys selecting the best available players on their board. My first round pick has a lot of talent, but may slip to the Cowboys at the eighteenth pick. Bjoern Werner may have to play in rotation for a year, but he gives you depth on the line, a promising future, and some cap relief at the position next season. Kyle Long gives you some flexibility on the offensive line as he could play both guard and tackle. He should have the talent to come in and contribute right away. Justin Hunter has tremendous ability and would be great value if he falls into the third. Now, I've been against this for most of the offseason, but if the Cowboys were to bring in a veteran running back I could see them taking a chance on Marcus Lattimore. He's a tremendous kid with all-pro talent, and given some time I think he could return to form. Kwame Geathers, brother of former Cowboy Clifton Geathers, provides a big body at the 1-technique on the defensive line. Jakar Hamilton is a former Georgia Bulldog who has first half of the draft talent. If he is available in the 5th or 6th it's an absolute steal.

Rowan Kavner's Mock Analysis: The needs at offensive line and safety will make the Cowboys consider a variety of options, but Vaccaro fills a need if available in the first round. It's feasible that all five offensive linemen are gone by the Cowboys' first pick, and if the top safety's still on the board, that would make for a logical selection. They could still fill a need at guard in the second round and potentially get a player with first-round talent if Warford's still on the board. Franklin had a tremendously productive season last year at UCLA and his sub-4.5 speed should draw some interest at the backup spot. I'm starting to think the Cowboys' starter at right tackle will either be Doug Free or a free agent pickup, but Mills provides adequate size to work with and develop into a potential starter. At 6-foot-2 with 4.3 speed, Fuller has all the tools a team could want with a late pick.

David Helman’s Mock Analysis: I approached this mock draft using the scenario that all of the Cowboys’ offensive line targets were gone by No. 18. I don’t want to reach, and the defensive front needs plenty of help of its own. Sylvester Williams is just that type of pocket collapsing defensive tackle Dallas needs, with 13.5 tackles for loss and six sacks last season. If the Cowboys can’t find an offensive lineman they like in the first round, it seems imperative they nab one with their second pick, and Larry Warford is a big dude who played well for an awful team. Round 3 seems like the best place to find value at safety, as T.J.

McDonald is just one of a handful of quality guys who should be there. To make up for missing a lineman at No. 18, I wouldn’t mind them going overboard in the late rounds, starting with Ricky Wagner. I still think this team should add a decent running back, and Burkhead fits that power back mold, plus he’s got local ties. Fragel is inexperienced at offensive tackle but his massive 6-8 frame gives him a lot of upside.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ed's is a pretty interesting draft. Not likely to happen at all, but I certainly could get on board. Your getting a future stud LE, G, and WR in the first three rounds. Lattimore in the fourth intrigues me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Eatman's mock is the only one that I completely would be in favor for.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I love the Warmack, Reid, Jones scenario. And I wouldn't hate taking Vaccaro as much if we still managed to pick up Warford in the 2nd.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It cracks me up that one has Logan in the 3rd and the other guy in the 5th.
I'd like to see this done using the same rankings

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Eatman's mock is the only one that I completely would be in favor for.
David's isn't bad, though. The Ricky Wagner pick makes it appealing. That being said, the best of the group is Eatman's, and it isn't even close.

D

Deuce

If not for crappy Long, I could get behind Ed's. but I just can't be happy with wasting a premium pick.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
If not for crappy Long, I could get behind Ed's. but I just can't be happy with wasting a premium pick.
I like Long but he's going to need a couple of years to develop his raw ability. If we could still pick him up in the 3rd it wouldn't be a bad move but the mid 2nd is probably too early. I like the guy's future but there should be a better player available then.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Warmack, Reid and Barrett Jones....yes please.
That's pretty much how I feel. Of course, I'd then go after Ricky Wagner in the 4th round to complete the o-line ensemble as best I could.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's pretty much how I feel. Of course, I'd then go after Ricky Wagner in the 4th round to complete the o-line ensemble as best I could.
I would love that to no end, but this team will never commit three high picks in the same draft to OLs. I think two is even kinda a pipe dream. But I'd take two and be thrilled.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I haven't paid too much attention to the pre-draft reports and analysis....I'm surprised to see Barrett Jones name being thrown around as a potential 3rd rounder.

Has his stock really fallen that low? IIRC, shortly after the season ended people had him as a possible late first round pick.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have paid too much attention to the pre-draft reports and analysis....I'm surprised to see Barrett Jones name being thrown around as a potential 3rd rounder.

Has his stock really fallen that low? IIRC, shortly after the season ended people had him as a possible late first round pick.
I haven't seen him as a projected 3rd rounder much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have paid too much attention to the pre-draft reports and analysis....I'm surprised to see Barrett Jones name being thrown around as a potential 3rd rounder.

It has.

[h=2]Teams Expect Barrett Jones to Start on PUP[/h]Published March 24, 2013
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Alabama center Barrett Jones received a lot of attention the past few seasons. He has been a regular All-American at guard, left tackle and center while winning the Outland Trophy in 2011 and Rimington Trophy in 2012. He helped pave the way for a rushing offense that won three national championships in four years. He is one of the most decorated and accomplished offensive linemen in the history of college football.

At the end of the season, however, Jones sustained a lisfranc injury against Georgia in the SEC Championship. He finished that outing and played with it versus Notre Dame in the BCS National Championship. The injury prevented Jones from playing at the Senior Bowl and participating in the NFL Scouting Combine. Many in the NFL regard Jones' malady as more complex to come back from than a simple break.

Scouts told WalterFootball.com that their teams believe Jones won't be ready for the start of training camp and will probably start out his NFL career on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list. Being injured and unable to work out for scouts has definitely hurt Jones' draft stock according to scouts.

Sources believe that the uncertainty about when Jones will be able to take the field is hurting teams' comfort with drafting him. Scouts said they believe that he could make it into the third round, but could easily be a fourth-round pick.

Working in Jones' favor is his tremendous versatility to play four or all five of the positions on the offensive line. His best long-term starting position is center or guard. Scouts said that his lack of strength and athleticism point toward him being a third-day pick, but his great intangibles and versatility will also push him higher and cause coaches to lobby for him. Even if he misses the preseason and can't start immediately when healthy, Jones should be a valuable backup on game days.

While Jones may end up being a mid-round pick, he could be one of those mid-rounders who goes on to a long, productive NFL career with his injured start being a minor bump in the road

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yeah, we heard the same thing about Konz last year.
If the general consensus on draft day is that teams think he'll start on PUP and allow him to fall to the mid rounds, I'd make it a priority to draft him because of the long term value and return on the investment. I'll trade him out for a few games as a rookie for a decade plus long career of solid play as the anchor of the interior o-line.

Top Bottom