Scouts' Honor: Tim Tebow Not Fit for NFL, CFL, or Arena League, Unless...

BipolarFuk

Demoted
To some who are watching Tim Tebow struggle to play quarterback for the New England Patriots—and struggle is a mighty generous way to describe what he's doing—there is but one conclusion.

It's not just that Tebow can no longer play quarterback, or any other skill position, in the NFL—it's that unless Tebow switches to a strictly blocking position, he is not talented enough to play in leagues like the Canadian Football League and Arena Football League.

Tebow's skills have eroded so quickly, so shockingly fast—think heavy boulder dropped from low orbit—that it has actually stunned several scouts who have watched him closely for years.

The belief is that Tebow has been and will continue to be so bad, that the Patriots will have no choice but to cut him loose from the roster.

Now, just to be clear: None of this is presented as Tebow-bashing or a type of huge exposé. To some, this isn't even shocking. To me, some of this was. Scouts I trust saying Tebow isn’t fit to play arena ball?

Then I thought about it. I watched him play this preseason when he threw for negative yards and looked as graceful as two toddlers playing catch with a bag of angry cats. :lol I talked to more people, watched Tebow highlights from his Florida Gator and Denver Broncos days.

And, I’ll be damned. It's clear. Tebow’s career as anything but a blocking fullback is over.

The reason why is speed. Speed doesn’t just kill; speed is currency in football. It’s the dollar, the deutsche mark. A player without a basic modicum of it is a brontosaurus in a league of tyrannosaurus rex.

That lack of speed is evident in three critical phases of Tebow’s game: His throwing motion, his mental acuity and his ability to avoid tacklers.

It’s not simply that he can't do these things now. We knew that. What's stunning, upon closer examination, is the rapidity with which these skills have been lost.

In the preseason opener against Philadelphia, Tebow was 4-of-12 passing for 55 yards. He was sacked three times and had a passer rating of 49. Then, against Tampa Bay, he had just one completion, an interception and finished with a passer rating of zero.

My suspicion is that the physical punishment he endured starting at Florida and continuing through the NFL has taken its toll in ways we may not have noticed before.

Look at Tebow at Florida versus Tebow now. He didn't blast by some of the best defenses in the SEC on his good looks and charisma. He did have speed. And he did have skill.

Scouts say they don't recognize the Tebow they saw in college. His regression has been so steep that I don't believe there is a league he can now play in.

The problem with Tebow playing in the CFL is that, while the league is obviously a lesser platform than the NFL, it's still pretty good. Don't forget: Warren Moon, who in my opinion is one of the top 10 NFL quarterbacks of all time, played in the CFL.

The level of athleticism has progressed significantly since Moon transitioned to the NFL in the early 80s. Also, the CFL has always been a passing league, and Tebow can’t, you know, pass. Or run.

The Arena Football League might even be a tougher league for Tebow. The arena game is gimmicky, but passing accuracy is vital because of the fast pace and claustrophobic field. All that league does is pass.

The AFL MVP this past season was Erik Meyer. He played then-Division I-AA football at Eastern Washington and was one of the most accurate passers in I-AA history.

In his current state, Tebow wouldn't last 10 minutes in either of those leagues.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick says Tebow is improving, but no one believes that. There's no way even Belichick believes that. Barring a transplant of Bart Starr's mitochondria into Tebow’s synapses, what we are seeing with Tebow is the end.

Unless he becomes a blocker.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
You can pick one QB for 16 games: Tim Tebow, Quincy Carter, or Jimmy Clausen

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I expect we'll have some variation of that ilk for awhile after Romo is done.
I think he'll either shell out the cash or draft a guy. I don't think he will dig up ex-baseball turds like Hutchinson and Henson.

The key is whatever the flavor of the moment is at the time, he'll go that way.

He envisioned Quinthy as the next McNappy. He'll probably be looking for the next Griffin, Kaepernick or Russell Wilson by then and fail massively.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I honestly think I'd pick Quincy out of those dudes. Sad but true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think he'll either shell out the cash or draft a guy. I don't think he will dig up ex-baseball turds like Hutchinson and Henson.

The key is whatever the flavor of the moment is at the time, he'll go that way.

He envisioned Quinthy as the next McNappy. He'll probably be looking for the next Griffin, Kaepernick or Russell Wilson by then and fail massively.
Agreed. He went the baseball project route because stealing a QB without spending big resources was the thing. Quincy was the next McNabb.

The thing right now is getting a QB in the second or third round. Which is of course historically like the worst place to try to get a QB.

So I expect that's the route he'll go.

He loves trading a second round pick to get up for a friggin' CB. But he'll be damned if he'd trade up for a QB in the first.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
"We believe that uh Tanney is uh the future smack of the uh Dallus Cahboys"

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Do any of you REALLY think that Jerry will get us a QB of any worth after Romo shits the bed?

:lol

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
The few fans who remained at Ford Field late in the Lions’ 40-9 win over the Patriots chanted Tebow’s name and booed when the Patriots continued sending Ryan Mallett, rather than Tebow, onto the field. The fans were disappointed, even if Tebow was not.
Man, the cult of Tebow never stops

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
You can pick one QB for 16 games: Tim Tebow, Quincy Carter, or Jimmy Clausen
Is my end game being able to draft Jadeveon Clowney in 2014? If so, give me the Emu as his 1-9 record as a starter.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
His skills haven't diminished. He never had any to begin with.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That lack of speed is evident in three critical phases of Tebow’s game: His throwing motion, his mental acuity and his ability to avoid tacklers.

It’s not simply that he can't do these things now. We knew that. What's stunning, upon closer examination, is the rapidity with which these skills have been lost.

In the preseason opener against Philadelphia, Tebow was 4-of-12 passing for 55 yards. He was sacked three times and had a passer rating of 49. Then, against Tampa Bay, he had just one completion, an interception and finished with a passer rating of zero.

My suspicion is that the physical punishment he endured starting at Florida and continuing through the NFL has taken its toll in ways we may not have noticed before.
I think the biggest reason that we've seen the regression in Tebow is that he's had so many people in his ear trying to change his style and mechanics.

So instead of reacting naturally and playing freely like he did as an amateur he's got several more things in his mind.

Is my elbow up.

Hold the ball higher.

Stand tall in the pocket.

Those are the things that have slowed him down. Not the pounding he took in college and the NFL.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think the biggest reason that we've seen the regression in Tebow is that he's had so many people in his ear trying to change his style and mechanics.

So instead of reacting naturally and playing freely like he did as an amateur he's got several more things in his mind.

Is my elbow up.

Hold the ball higher.

Stand tall in the pocket.

Those are the things that have slowed him down. Not the pounding he took in college and the NFL.
Probably right.

Top Bottom