Machota - Jones: Personnel is better than it’s been at any time in the last 2 yrs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys personnel is better than it’s been at any time in the last two years

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
11:47 am on August 16, 2013 |

The Dallas Cowboys’ time in Oxnard, Calif. is almost over. The team plays their third preseason game Saturday in Arizona and the regular season is less than a month away.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has a lot of time to look at his group and on Friday talked about what has him excited for the upcoming season.

“First of all, we’re a better team personnel-wise than we were at this time last year or at any time in the last two years,” Jones told the Elf & Slater show on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “I’m excited about what we’ve been able to accomplish in training camp and what we’ve done to change our defense. I’m excited that we got eight new coaches on our coaching staff, and how they’re working together, which is critical.

“Probably most of all, I’m excited about Jason Garrett. Not that it’s different, but you can just see him, his command, you can see his fingerprints all over this team. He’s, of course, involved in every aspect of it and more so because he’s delegated some of the offensive responsibility. But I’m excited about this coaching, not only the new ones but what it’s doing to the coaches that remained on our staff. It has created an element of competition on both sides of the ball with the snaps. Not only the players you see out there having these disputes during practice, but that competition is carrying over to the entire group. You can feel the edge. It’s very competitive.”

Jones said that competitiveness has especially carried over to the Cowboys rookies, specifically naming third-round draft pick Terrance Williams, who Jones said is “playing well.”

“Those guys are catching this mood and catching this mentality that Jason Witten’s practiced with every day for his career, almost,” Jones said. “So all of that I think is a good thing. I like what we did technically on defense. I like what we did technically on offense. We changed things up on offense.”

The changes on offense Jones spent the most time discussing involved implementing more zone-blocking in the run game.

“I think our players are more-suited for this type of blocking schemes,” Jones said. “All of that is looking good at practice. Everybody’s really digesting it and basically executing.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, that's saying a lot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Notice how he keeps moving the bar, while at the same time maintaining the same stupid idiotic pitch.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
So if the team fails he'll have yet another stooge to blame it on instead of himself

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just look at it this way...

QB - Same
RB - Better, but both Jerry and Stephen say Felix was not a failure
TE - Better...err...maybe
WR - Better
OL - Worse...we are begging guys to come off the couch to play
DL - Worse...injured as usual, even less depth
LB - Same
CB - Better, maybe.
S - Worse.

4 out of 7 baby!

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Typical Jerry overestimating the value of what's in his toy box. Yes, the skill and peripheral players look better than they have in a long time. But the core of the team -- OL and DL -- are big question marks at best. And if those two units don't pan out all the other shiny pieces will be worthless.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The personnel does not seem appreciably better than it was last year. If this team improves this year it will be because the coaching was better.

D

Deuce

Just look at it this way...

QB - Same
RB - Better, but both Jerry and Stephen say Felix was not a failure
TE - Better...err...maybe
WR - Better
OL - Worse...we are begging guys to come off the couch to play
DL - Worse...injured as usual, even less depth
LB - Same
CB - Better, maybe.
S - Worse.

4 out of 7 baby!
I'm not convinced Safety is worse. Church is healthy and moving well and Sensabaugh was just average. I think Allen can do as much as he did.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm not convinced Safety is worse. Church is healthy and moving well and Sensabaugh was just average. I think Allen can do as much as he did.
Sensabaugh was nothing special but he was a solid starter in this league.

I think he's easily a better player than Allen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You fucking homer.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The OL got better just by adding Frederick, but it's still terrible at both guard spots and probably RT too. I don't think Romo survives it unless by some miracle Demarco and crew stay healthy and effective.

Genghis Khan

For all the much deserved derision the OL gets, I think by far the biggest problem (collectively) on the team is the overall depth.

Genghis Khan

We have depth...just not on the lines.
We have depth at WR, RB and CB. I don't really see it anywhere else.

Even just lines alone constitute 9 of 21 starting spots. That alone is a lot. Add in safety, tight end and two linebacker spots and now 14 of 21 spots have no depth. It's a big problem IMO.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The personnel does not seem appreciably better than it was last year. If this team improves this year it will be because the coaching was better.
Other than center, yep.

We're still in wait and see mode regarding Leary's health and ability. If he had stayed healthy and we had landed Moore, I could say that I feel the OL as a whole will be markedly improved.

Instead, it's still a wing and a prayer.

Top Bottom