Williams: Cowboys will give Tony Romo more leeway to call plays at the line

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys will give Tony Romo more leeway to call plays at the line

The Cowboys are giving Tony Romo more responsibility this season. That includes additional freedom for him to audible at the line of scrimmage.

“I think they all go hand in hand together,” Romo said Wednesday. “I think more than anything when you’re in there, and you’re part of understanding what we’re trying to do, you know what we’re looking for and what we’re not and what we want to run versus what. So yeah, I’m sure I’ll probably do a little more from time to time at the line. That’s not every time and that doesn’t mean every game. It just means that capability is there for us, and we’ve been doing a lot of different things to practice that stuff, and it’ll just add to our package.

Romo gained a bigger hand in the offense after he signed a six-year, $108 million contract extension. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said that Romo’s “Peyton Manning-like involvement” in the offense is part of his evolution as quarterback.

Romo, 33, is in his seventh full season as the team’s starter. This will be his first full season without Jason Garrett as the play-caller.

Romo said he and new play-caller Bill Callahan are finding a rhythm after spending training camp together in meetings as well as on the practice field.

“I don’t know how much time it is, but it’s hours every day that we’re outside the football field that we’re in meetings together, that we’re talking and going over stuff, and it’s a good thing,” Romo said. “It’s been a real good rapport. Bill’s got a good mind for football just like Jason, and it just allows us to do a lot of different things that we all put our heads together and kind of attack them.”

-- Charean Williams

Top Bottom