ESPN Splits With Hugh Douglas Over Racially Charged Altercation

Smitty

DCC 4Life
By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Deadline.com – 14 hours ago

Hugh Douglas excelled on the defensive side of the ball during his NFL playing career, but an offensive he launched against an ESPN colleague has cost him his TV gig. The sports giant has cut ties with Douglas in the wake of his threats and racial slurs inflicted on Michael Smith, his co-host on the ESPN2 program Numbers Never Lie, on August 2 at the Orlando House of Blues. Douglas, who has not appeared on the show since the incident, tweeted this morning, “I am very disappointed to be leaving ESPN and will have more to say about this situation and my future at the appropriate time.” ESPN has said only that Douglas is no longer with the network.

The former All-Pro defensive end was at a National Association of Black Journalists convention event when he and Smith had an altercation that escalated into a screaming match. Several media outlets reported that witnesses saw Douglas threaten to fight the much-smaller Smith — his on-air adversarial foil — and hurled slurs at him including “Uncle Tom” and “house n—–” and that the men had to be separated. ESPN said at the time that it would look into the matter. Apparently, it has.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I thought only white males could be racist....

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I thought only white males could be racist....
Oh hell no. As Chris Rock said, some of the most racisct people in America are old black men.

I have a few in my family. They were around during the 50s and 60s and hold a grudge like a mo-fo.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Oh hell no. As Chris Rock said, some of the most racisct people in America are old black men.

I have a few in my family. They were around during the 50s and 60s and hold a grudge like a mo-fo.
In my opinion, the folks who put up with the shit back in those days should not be expected to just "get over it".

BipolarFuk

Demoted
and hurled slurs at him including “Uncle Tom” and “house n—–”
Ah, the go to insults black guys throw at other black guys when they get really pissed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
In my opinion, the folks who put up with the shit back in those days should not be expected to just "get over it".
They need to get over it or go unleash it on some old rednecks that actually had something to do with it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They need to get over it or go unleash it on some old rednecks that actually had something to do with it.
Truth.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Most everyone back then had something to do with it, even though most won't admit it.

Reminds me of the silliness that came out after Paula Deen admitted she'd talked disparagingly about black people. Everybody did it. I grew up where there was no black people and they still talked bad about "niggers".

It was a hateful time, but it was also normal for whites to be that way.

Now if you want to talk about the generations of black people after those who lived through the trying times...then yes, I agree that they should get over it.

Top Bottom