Police Taser 16 year old with broken back

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Parents of a 16-year-old boy in intensive care with a broken back want to know why police Tasered their son 19 times rather than calling an ambulance for help.

Citizens noticed Branson, Mo., teenager Mace Hutchinson walking alongside the road and, fearing for his safety, called 9-1-1.

Ads by Google
San Antonio Liposuction
Get the Skinny on Laser Lipo Today. Ltd. Time $1249+ Per Area Pricing!
SanAntonio.Sonobello.com/Laser-Lipo
Subaru 2013 Clearance
Whopping Discounts On '13 Subaru! Get Your Subaru Internet Pricing
www.subaru.car.com
“We called the police. My wife was afraid he was going to get ran over or hit,” said witness Doug Messersmith. “He looked a little agitated but, other than that, he didn’t look to be falling down drunk or anything like that.”

When police arrived, they found Hutchinson under an overpass on U.S. 65 Saturday morning, Springfield’s KY3 News reported. The boy had fallen 30 feet off the overpass and was lying on the shoulder.

When the boy didn’t respond to police, they Tasered him, repeatedly.

“I’m not an officer, but I don’t see the reason for Tasering somebody lying there with a broken back. I don’t consider that a threat,” his aunt Samantha said.

Hutchinson was later admitted to the hospital, where he was put under intensive care for his injuries and is listed in fair condition. His family believes police added to the trauma after he fell from the overpass.

“According to the doctors, all injuries are consistent with a fall,” Samantha said.

Mace Hutchinson, KY3 video
His father said Hutchinson did not jump but fell onto the pavement; however, no one knows why.

“They tested his system. He was clean of drugs and alcohol. We don’t know why unless just being in shock and the whole thing in itself caused him to forget everything,” Hutchinson told the television station.

While Hutchinson remains in the hospital for major surgery on his broken back and heel, the family questions police actions that morning. His father claims if police hadn’t stunned the teenager 19 times, his critical surgery would not have been delayed by two days.

“The Tasering increased his white blood cell count and caused him to have a temperature so they could not go into the operation,” he said.

However, Ozark police say the wounded boy was a threat.

“He refused to comply with the officers and so the officers had to deploy their Tasers in order to subdue him,” Capt. Thomas Rousset said. “He is making incoherent statements; he’s also making statements such as, ‘Shoot cops, kill cops,’ things like that. So there was cause for concern to the officers.”

Authorities say their use of a Taser weapon should not be questioned, because they were trying to help Hutchinson to safety.

“It’s a big concern for the officers to keep this guy out of traffic, to keep him from getting hurt,” Rousset said.

They're keeping us safe out there.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Oh good lord...the cops were definitely wrong in this case, but it does give you a chance to be a victim again. Props.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Oh good lord...the cops were definitely wrong in this case, but it does give you a chance to be a victim again. Props.
How did I know it would be you?

Cops are like pit bulls. They're mostly not bad, but the bad ones keep ending up in the news.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I said it was wrong...you went out and painted law enforcement with a broad brush of all being super bad people. There are bad folks in every walk of life. I wonder if there are any positive stories about cops...or prison guards for that matter.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I said it was wrong...you went out and painted law enforcement with a broad brush of all being super bad people. There are bad folks in every walk of life. I wonder if there are any positive stories about cops...or prison guards for that matter.
My message has never been that I hate all cops, though specific ones have made me mad at cops in general in the past. Personally I think incidents like this should show that police departments need better hiring standards to cut down on the idiots that make the rest look bad.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I missed that point in your original post...the tagline troll you added.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
The cops should get a pass on this one. Their job is dangerous and you never know when a guy mangled on the side of the highway isn't in reality a genius super villain lying in wait for cops to rush to his aid.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This should draw Jeebus out of the weeds.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I missed that point in your original post...the tagline troll you added.
Yeah, well it's also trolling to add "poor misunderstood pitbull" to the title of a dog attack thread. My problems with the current state of policing (too many idiots sneaking in, too little training) are reflected by my sarcastic comment. Who I blame for it is apparently where you mistake my opinions for Jeebus's.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The cops should get a pass on this one. Their job is dangerous and you never know when a guy mangled on the side of the highway isn't in reality a genius super villain lying in wait for cops to rush to his aid.
There is no bigger worry for a cop than a 68 year old on his couch, or a 16 year old with a broken back.

Taser the shit outta them, Subdue the threat!

:unsure

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
There is no bigger worry for a cop than a 68 year old on his couch, or a 16 year old with a broken back.

Taser the shit outta them, Subdue the threat!

:unsure
And 18 year old artists.

This just happened the other day. The kid was spray painting a wall and DARED to run away when the cops came. So they tazered him.... and killed him.

I just really like that they are keeping these violent criminals at bay.

-----------------

Eighteen-year-old Israel Hernandez-Llach, also known by his street name Reefa, has passed away after being hit with a police officer’s taser this past Tuesday.

The graffiti artist from Miami Beach was spray painting an abandoned McDonald’s right before a foot chase began with the police and ended with Hernandez-Llach being tasered in the chest, according to Miami Beach Police Chief Raymond Martinez.

"At this time, the cause of death has not been determined by the medical examiner's office. Autopsy and toxicology results are still pending as well," Martinez told Reuters while offering condolences to the 18-year-old’s family.

Hernandez-Llach, also an avid skateboarder, was well-respected among other Miami artists for his creativity in sculpting, painting, and writing. The native of Colombia even featured some of his work at local galleries and museums.

“He wanted to change the world somehow through art,” his sister Offir told the Miami Herald.

Follow Us
“We want answers. We only want to know what happened.”

According to the police report, Hernandez-Llach was attempting to elude officers by running through “alleyways, past apartment buildings, into doorways and down hallways.” The chase came to an end when he was shot in the chest by an officer's taser.

“He had been warned before by police that if they caught him again they would beat the s--- out of him," Tracy West, a parent who knew Hernandez-Llach, told the Miami Herald.

“He could not have done anything. All he thought about was art."

Although a taser is considered a nonlethal weapon, safety issues regarding tasers have been well-documented as more and more police personnel turn to stun guns.

In 2005, an inmate at Harnett County Jail in North Carolina died after being tasered on multiple occasions. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner marked the official cause of death as “complications of conducted energy device application.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If you run from the cops you can expect it to get rough once they catch you.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Enforcement arm of a corrupt government.

Like stormtroopers except they can aim

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
If you run from the cops you can expect it to get rough once they catch you.
:lol

Yeah. But did he deserve to die for drawing graffiti? And besides, he was shot in the chest... but they were "chasing" him. That's a little suspicious imo.

Cotton

Staff member
:lol

Yeah. But did he deserve to die for drawing graffiti? And besides, he was shot in the chest... but they were "chasing" him. That's a little suspicious imo.
Of course he didn't. But, if you have nothing to hide, don't run. It's that simple. Forget it being cops, human nature makes you suspect something much worse if someone runs from you. It's stupid to run.

Cotton

Staff member

I'm sure he was an angel.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Of course he didn't. But, if you have nothing to hide, don't run. It's that simple. Forget it being cops, human nature makes you suspect something much worse if someone runs from you. It's stupid to run.

I'm sure he was an angel.
Yeah you can't listen to the family after anything like that. They are pissed (rightfully so) but everything they are saying now is emotional and usually exaggerated.

He clearly had something "to hide"... they caught him in the act and he ran. At the worse (assuming they caught him) he's in jail 5 minutes and pays a big fine when he goes to court.

In this case though, they clearly were in fear of their lives so they tasered him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They should've planted some skittles on him.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
It's illegal to deface someone else's property, and the kid was wrong and deserved at minimum a fine.

Forget that he died for a second, he didn't even deserve to be tasered unless he produced a weapon or tried to fight them. You shouldn't be able to taser someone because they can out run you after committing a petty, non violent crime.

Top Bottom