League slams door on funky face masks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
League slams door on funky face masks

Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT

At a time when the league wants players to wear more protection on their legs, the league wants some to wear less protection on their faces.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press on Friday that non-standard face masks will be prohibited.

The ban includes players like Colts linebacker Robert Mathis, Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett, Giants defensive lineman Justin Tuck, and Ravens defensive lineman Chris Canty, who wore his extra-thick cluster of bars on Thursday night in Tampa.

Mathis conceded the issue via Twitter on Friday.

ts official…. the league says i cant wear my facemask. I will return to my run of the mill grill,” he wrote.

An exception applies to players who can demonstrate a medical reason for the additional protection.

It’s a strange balance. In a league that discourages individuality to the point that the players look like robots, the league frowns upon accessories that make them look too robotic.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Afterall, the players do wear "uniforms".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Chris Canty got permission to keep wearing his. I wonder if it affects Ware's one he got?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't understand the point of this rule at all.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
There's no real safety issue since these facemasks are actually more safe for those wearing them and no threat to opposing players. They aren't offensive looking, just different. It seems like another case of the league regulating and making rules because it has too many people sitting around being paid to regulate and make rules.

2233boys

Not So New Member
You actually can get a finger caught in that type of mask and risk significant injury. :unsure

As LT said they have a uniform, it isn't that big if a deal, unless you want to bitch about something.

Cotton

Staff member
There's no real safety issue since these facemasks are actually more safe for those wearing them and no threat to opposing players. They aren't offensive looking, just different. It seems like another case of the league regulating and making rules because it has too many people sitting around being paid to regulate and make rules.
That's the only thing I've been able to come up with.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is about squelching individuality.

The league does not want players, especially non-superstars, to call attention to and be able to market, themselves.

It is why they ban socks being worn a certain way or having shoe color be consistent. It is why the Emmitt Rule exists to begin with. It is why they police celebrations heavily.

There is nothing unsafe about the facemasks. But it does allow a player to call attention to themselves.

Cotton

Staff member
WGAS? There have been different types of facemasks for years. How do you police this and where is the line?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
WGAS? There have been different types of facemasks for years. How do you police this and where is the line?
Not modified and personalized to this degree.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Face masks today, shoes tomorrow, socks the day after. Pretty soon you won't recognize your own team mate. Some things have to be regulated.

Cotton

Staff member
Meh.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Which is the case any time someone's job is to make rules.

Cotton

Staff member
DeMarcus Ware in old face mask

August, 13, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – When the Cowboys play Arizona on Saturday DeMarcus Ware will be back in his old U-bar face mask with the NFL awaiting more paperwork before it approves the eight-bar helmet he would like to wear.

Ware wore the eight-bar mask last week at Oakland and had hoped that meant he would be cleared for the regular season.

The NFL denied Indianapolis’ Robert Mathis request to wear a non-conforming face mask earlier in the week.

Players need to have medical reasons as to why they need to wear a specialized mask. Ware has battled through a series of stingers in the last few years.

Top Bottom