Watkins: Nick Hayden making an impact

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nick Hayden making an impact

August, 7, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- When the Cowboys signed Nick Hayden, they did it knowing he was familiar with the 4-3 scheme and he possessed the ability to play defensive tackle and defensive end.

Hayden is getting first- and second-team snaps at defensive tackle in training camp and when he recovered a fumble on the first defensive snap of the preseason opener against the Miami Dolphins last Sunday night, it showed the Cowboys' coaches this was indeed a good pickup.

"I've been doing a pretty good job," Hayden said. "I was out all of last year of football and trying to get my feet back. Last week's game was a good stepping stone for me. It hasn't been that long, but it's been good. I got to keep coming out here each day and getting better on my craft."

Hayden, a 2008 sixth-round pick by the Carolina Panthers, has started 13 games in his career. But after three seasons in Carolina he went to Cincinnati and reached an injury settlement in 2012 after suffering a high-ankle sprain during the preseason.

It normally takes four-to-six weeks to recover from that injury, and when he did, the phone didn't ring. Hayden didn't get a call even to work out for teams.

"It sucked waiting by the phone, and it's not fun," Hayden said. "But I'm just glad this organization gave me a second opportunity to come out and prove myself."

Injuries to the defensive line opened the door for Hayden to get these first-team snaps, and if and when starting defensive tackle Jay Ratliff returns, Hayden, if he continues to play well, could secure a spot on the 53-man roster.

"I've been in it my whole career in the NFL," Hayden said of the scheme. "I've done the same thing each year and it's just different terminology for me, but it’s the same steps. I can play all over the field. I can play the three technique, the nose. I'm used to being in a 4-3 scheme."
-------------------

Even Broaddus has made the disturbing observation that this schlub has displaced Lissemore in the rotation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Think Lissemore got overrated around some fan circles a bit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I admit it...I bought into him a bit. But hey, apparently so did Jerry since he's signed sealed and delivered like some budding star already.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wasn't paying close attention...just saw him recover the fumble...but on this DL he will be a major player by default.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wasn't paying close attention...just saw him recover the fumble...but on this DL he will be a major player by default.
I have seen enough of Hayden with the Panthers, a team starved for good interior linemen, to know he's no solution.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He is a Rushman now though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was never going to be more than a backup and that's totally fine for a 7th round pick. It was obvious he was a terrible fit in a 3-4 defense and no surprise he got banged up by the end of the season. That last game was a joke. People remember Ware playing injured as a shell of himself, and so they overlook how Lissemore got blown off the line.

Top Bottom