Albright On The Difference Between Ryan's and Kiffin's Defense

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Alex Albright says Ryan taught recognition, Kiffin teaches fast play, and it makes for more complete players

Linebacker Alex Albright is sidelined by a back injury, but when he returns, he is eager to apply what he learned in Rob Ryan’s defensive scheme to Monte Kiffin’s defensive scheme.

“Rob was more about strengthening your mind, and now we’re more about strengthening just your football skills,” Albright said. “And I think it’s good. Guys who got to go through both systems, it made them more complete players.”

Albright is entering his third year with the Cowboys after making the team as an undrafted free agent from Boston College in 2011, Ryan’s first year as defensive coordinator.

He said Ryan’s scheme taught him a lot about the game, and he can recognize things quickly.

“Rob was about identifying everything so you could play fast,” Albright said. “Going through Rob’s stuff makes you just pick up on stuff so much quicker now and store it in the memory bank quicker. Kiff just wants you to go out and play, and you can do that because you’re used to learning a thousand things and now you’ve only got to learn however many things, and you can just go play. That’s what Kiff preaches – just go play, and go play fast.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think strengthening the mind was the wrong thing...we seemed to overthink under Ryan.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think strengthening the mind was the wrong thing...we seemed to overthink under Ryan.
Who really knows, though? Under Parcells it was too simple, under Wade it was too simple, under Ryan it was too complicated, etc.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Ryan didn't strike me as a guy that could teach anyone to strengthen their mind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Albright better just get his ass on the field soon before he doesn't have a roster spot.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I disagree with keeping Albright at LB. In this defense he's as much of a DE as Wilber.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see any reason to keep Albright, he's a fringe backup/ST'er to begin with and he's barely practiced.

Top Bottom