Machota: Jerry Jones impressed with all of the Dallas Cowboys’ 2013 draft picks

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones impressed with all of the Dallas Cowboys’ 2013 draft picks

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
2:00 pm on August 7, 2013 |

The Dallas Cowboys didn’t receive much praise from the experts at the conclusion of this year’s NFL Draft. Criticizing the Dallas Cowboys for trading back and not selecting defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd in the first round was far more popular than giving Jerry Jones and Co. an A+ grade for their seven picks.

But roughly three months later and Jones says he’s quite pleased with those seven players.

“I really have something good to say about every draft pick that’s out there,” Jones said Tuesday. “It’s actually inordinate that you can speak to something that they all have done. It’s easy to take a rookie and take a new guy and see all the things he’s not doing. In general, we’ve got a good group here that really have a chance to contribute to special teams. Their part is going to be good. Regret that [Terrance] Williams got that concussion last week but he should be back in there pretty soon. I’d loved to have seen him in Canton. He would have gotten a lot of work there. But I would say the participation, the time that our rookies are spending on the field is one of the things I’ve seen.”

Williams got off to a slow start at training camp, but the third-round pick out of Baylor started coming on last week. First-round pick Travis Frederick has played well at center and should start at that position. Second-round pick Gavin Escobar has shown very good hands at tight end and should play often in his rookie season. Third-rounder J.J. Wilcox has been arguably the biggest hitter in camp and has been competing for a starting spot. Fourth-rounder B.W. Webb is adding quality depth at corner and on special teams. Fifth-rounder Joseph Randle rushed for a team-high 70 yards on Sunday. Sixth-rounder DeVonte Holloman returned an interception for a 75-yard score in that same game.

Now, everything obviously hasn’t been perfect. On Sunday, Holloman had a late hit on the quarterback and followed it up with an offside penalty. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett pointed both out on Tuesday. Garrett also discussed Wilcox’s struggles, which included the safety struggling at times in coverage.

“I think he’d be a good example of inconsistent play,” Garrett said of Wilcox. “He needs to run. You can hit everybody all day long but if you can’t get to the point to hit the guy you’re not going to be real good. So he needs to understand to play with that urgency 100 percent of the time and he will. It was evident on tape to him. He’s a conscientious kid. He can be a really good player. He just needs to keep working at it and understand what it takes at this level.”

Garrett later added: “He did some good things in the game, don’t get me wrong. But he can play better and he knows it.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jones has no credibility when it comes to judging his own draft picks. He said the same shit in 1995, and all ten of what was one of the worst draft classes in NFL history made the roster of a team that had won two Superbowls in three years and barely missed a third.

That said, several 2013 draft pics played very well last Sunday.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Most disappointing rookie so far (based on where they were drafted and our own expectations)?

Tempting to go Escobar, but I think I have to say BW Webb.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Most disappointing rookie so far (based on where they were drafted and our own expectations)?

Yeah, at least Escobar made a few plays. Webb's speed did not appear to translate well to the NFL, at least not on grass..

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Frick that. Black Wiener didn't cost a premium draft choice. Pablo is a huge disappointment so far. Even Webb has done something in practices. Escobar hasn't done dick.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Really? We are down on Webb already? Good grief.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It's just to make conversation, Mr. Sensitive. Not trying to run him off the team.
LOL...I just can't see how you can even come close to making a judgment on him yet.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
LOL...I just can't see how you can even come close to making a judgment on him yet.
Fine, then we'll sit here and talk about nothing.

Jeez. Just wanted to ask which rookie people had expected more out of so far, I wouldn't call it "judgment" on the guy as if there was any kind of finality.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Really? We are down on Webb already? Good grief.
We can't seriously be down on anyone yet. I greatly disliked the Escobar reach, but he can't help where he was drafted. I think he's learning and he seemed to catch everything they threw at him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the rookies look like elite players you fools!

If I had to pick one it is easily Escobar. The fact that he hasn't even earned the number 2 TE job to me is a huge problem. A second round pick should at least be able to earn that backup job. Doesn't mean he is a bust by any means but that has to be the biggest disappointment among the rookies up to this point.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So making conversation means stating deliberately idiotic comments?
Saying Webb has not looked good is deliberately idiotic?

It has been reported all over the place that he hasn't been very good so far. I don't think Smitty's statement was all that idiotic at all.

But, I do agree that it's too early to call him a bust since we have only just started preseason.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Nobody is calling anybody a bust.

I fail to see how asking "Which rookie has been most disappointing so far" is idiotic. What if I had asked "Which rookie has been most impressive so far?"

Same type of question, and my answer would not mean I'm saying that rookie is gonna be a Pro Bowler, just means that they've been playing well so far.

So unless everyone here thinks that all of our rookies have been equally impressive, then there should be an answer.

Mine was Webb because I didn't want to go the easy route and say Escobar. And in part because my expectations for him to revolutionize the 2-TE thing were low to begin with.

Webb on the other hand I thought would come in and look like he might be able to challenge for playing time right away, and he hasn't really done that yet. So he has been most disappointing to me.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Saying Webb has not looked good is deliberately idiotic?

It has been reported all over the place that he hasn't been very good so far. I don't think Smitty's statement was all that idiotic at all.

But, I do agree that it's too early to call him a bust since we have only just started preseason.
He was getting positive talk of the camp earlier and about his play in the team scrimmage, let's not pretend he has been struggling.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Deliberately idiotic.

Top Bottom